flying in the morning of the cruise

della0813

hi all,

does anyone fly in the morning of the cruise, that is our plan, but as I read, I notice many fly in the night before. Just wondering if it is really that dangerous. Our flight would be "scheduled" to land at about 10 am

thanks

della:cool:

My opinion,

BAD idea to arrive the morning of yoru cruise.

Even if the weather is good where you are, it may not be good where your flight is coming in from before you getting on it to head to Florida.

I have read of people missing their cruise due to flight delays.

The ONLY way I would do this is if DCL booked your flight. Not you.

If they book your flight and your delayed they will hold the ship for awhile for you, or if you miss it they will help you meet up with the ship at the next port. But then you miss part of your cruise.

We fly in the night before now that we dont live in Florida..

If we are using DCL's transfers we stay at the Hyatt at OIA for the night and take their bus first thing the next morning.

If we are renting a car we go out to The Radisson at Cocoa beach to spend the night and return the rental at Cocoa beach and use the Radissons free shuttle to the port the next morning.

If you have to come in the morning of the cruise, please come in much earlier than that, just in case of delays. Especially if your cruising in the winter or spring where storms do happen a lot.

I always fly in the moring of my cruises (except for one time when we came in the night before since it was the only flight we could get). I always fly direct and take the first flight in the morning.

I'm planning on doing that for my Christmas cruise, I don't want my girls to miss more then one day of school so we will be flying in the morning of our cruise.

I did it once and NEVER again. We didn't get any weather delays, but out first day onboard was SHOT because we were so tired from getting up at 4AM to catch the flight. It's worth it to me to fly in the night before and get a good nights sleep and get up in the AM and head to the ship. It is just so much more relaxing. Also, the added bonus is not worrying about any weather related or luggage delays.

I always fly in the moring of my cruises (except for one time when we came in the night before since it was the only flight we could get). I always fly direct and take the first flight in the morning.

I'm planning on doing that for my Christmas cruise, I don't want my girls to miss more then one day of school so we will be flying in the morning of our cruise.

Flights hardly ever get delayed over the holidays. Good plan!:p

I agree with mom x4 (hi Kathy). We always fly in the day before, you never know. I would rather have the peace of mind. Unfortunately mother nature has a mind of her own and you can never predict what she has planned.

It also depends if you have the option to fly in the day before. If time and money is not an issue I would do it. It's nice to wake up in the morning and not be worn out from the travel.

Everyone has different levels of comfort when it comes to travel and you will get responses for and against. You just need to decide what that comfort level is for you.

I would make every effort to fly in the night before.

You can be delayed for many reasons, weather being only one. Once I was delayed at SNA for five hours because our plane was broken in OAK. The next time, some moron in OAk broke the pitot on the nose of the plane while cleaning the cockpit windows. We saw him do it. It took three hours to haul the plane over to maintenance and back. Both times it was Alaska come to thinkof it. Another time I got stuck in Chicago for hours for some reason to do with the flight crew. It wasn't until a pilot came running down to the gate several hours late that we got to board and leave.

So really, fly in the night before or have a really good backup plan or a high credit limit on your Visa.

hi all,

does anyone fly in the morning of the cruise, that is our plan, but as I read, I notice many fly in the night before. Just wondering if it is really that dangerous. Our flight would be "scheduled" to land at about 10 am

thanks

its risky if you are coming from a snow area.i would book a flight the day before.

Spend the extra bit of money to take a flight the day before and stay at some hotel. Although we have flown down on the day of the cruise, we have always made the cruise [knock on wood]. But you run the chance of being delayed, especially during winter months and hurricane season. Something may not be happening where you live or where the ship is leaving from, but if it is somewhere in between those 2 places, you might be delayed.

I have done it both ways and there's no question that flying in the day before creates much less anxiety. One thing that I would strongly recommend if you are flying in the day of the cruise is that you fly with carry on luggage only. That way, you don't have to worry about your luggage not making it on the plane with you and you save quite a bit of time at the airport.

~KweezyCruiser

hi all,

thanks

The key word there is "scheduled". Most likely everything will go well. However, lets just say 80% of the time there are no problems. Are you willing to take a one out of five chance you are going to miss your cruise to save the cost of an overnight stay?

If you are on an early morning non-stop the odds are in your favor. If you are on an early morning direct flight the odds are still in your favor. However, if you are on an early morning connecting flight the chances for something to go wrong double. I would not chance it.

hi all,

thanks

Horrible idea. Hope you don't mind missing your cruise

It depends on your risk tolerance. If missing the boat is an acceptable risk, fly in the same day, but have a plan B if there are any significant delays.

We always work it to be at the port area at least a day prior and simply make that part of our vacation. A couple cruises ago it paid off. There were significant air traffic delays and we did not get to the port ( FLL) on the originally planned day.. We ended up overnighting in Chicago and made Fort Lauderdale the next day, still in time to catch our cruise.

My parents always do one day before, if it is winter they go two days before a cruise!

We are doing the Dream on a Sunday in February, we are going on Thurs and will play at WDW with our AP's for a few days. If there is a storm in Boston we have a few days to get there in time for Sunday.

hi all,

thanks

You will hate yourself for the hectic day you are planning.. You will be pooped for sure. Flamingo aka Stanley:eek:

hi all,

thanks

I've cruised 13 times so far and have always flown in that morning, never had a problem. I live in NY so leaving in the wintertime can be dicey with sleet, snow, etc, so for those months I'll purchase insurance just in case. I use carryon luggage only, so I never have to wait at a carousel. I can also book non stop flights, so with no connections there is less of a chance of being delayed.

I will fly in the morning of a cruise as long as it is NOT a connecting flight. If it is a connecting flight I fly in the night before. I've missed the ship once d/t a delay with a connecting flight. It was an expensive mistake. Yes we did fly out the next morning to Cancun to spend the night and catch the ship in Cozumel the next afternoon.

I hope you're joking. If you recall, this past Christmas there were back-to-back storms that disrupted travel across the country for almost a week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruzmaven viewpost.gif

I hope you're joking. If you recall, this past Christmas there were back-to-back storms that disrupted travel across the country for almost a week.

Hello Ducklite. Let me introduce you to my friend, Sarcasm.:cool:

Archived