flying in the morning of the cruise

della0813

In addition to flight delays, the traffic in Orlando sucks on a good day....I used to live about an hour and a half outside Orlando and for Spring Break, my girlfriends and I decided to go to Pleasure Island (now Downtown Disney) for the night. The trip that should have taken 90 minutes took five hours. All was good until we hit Orlando city limits and a freak rain happened that caused multiple crashes. Definitely ruined our plans. If your flight is delayed a small bit and your luggage takes a while and then you hit a traffic nightmare, it could definitely wreck (or at lease make much more stressful) your vacation.

I personally wouldn't do it. We are leaving for our cruise this weekend. My Mom was scheduled to fly from SFO to Tampa (where I live) yesterday morning. Well, she finally arrived at my house about an hour ago. Flights to Tampa were all canceled in Dallas yesterday. She was finally able to get a flight to Miami with a connection to Tampa this morning, but the Miami flight was delayed five hours. In addition, the Tampa flight was delayed for other reasons.

Anyway, you just never know what might happen...weather, mechanical, etc. Better to allow yourself an bit of time just in case.

Horrible idea. Hope you don't mind missing your cruise

Perhaps for you, but others have a different opinion...that's why we buy insurance...it's a vacation, we want no fuss, no stress when we vacate..having to get there early, take 7 of us to a hotel just for one night only to have to move all our luggage 3x and make sure we don't forget something (we're notorious for leaving jackets in a hotel closet or contact lens cases etc.)....we'd rather fly in, take one transport to ship, sleep that day (we're doing the Med) and rest....

Tara

Anything can be done, but I'll add myself to the list of people in the "horrible idea" camp. Travel delays seem more the rule thant the exception these days. If you fly in same day, make sure to have a back-up plan for catching up with the ship should you miss it.

....we'd rather fly in, take one transport to ship, sleep that day (we're doing the Med) and rest....

Tara

Flying into Europe to catch a cruise same day. That is very brave! Besides the possibility of flight delays, missed connections, etc I would think it would be nice to get in at least a day early just to get over the jet lag a little. Why start your cruise dog tired?

• 2 weeks later...
Perhaps for you, but others have a different opinion...that's why we buy insurance...it's a vacation, we want no fuss, no stress when we vacate..having to get there early, take 7 of us to a hotel just for one night only to have to move all our luggage 3x and make sure we don't forget something (we're notorious for leaving jackets in a hotel closet or contact lens cases etc.)....we'd rather fly in, take one transport to ship, sleep that day (we're doing the Med) and rest....

Tara

LOl horrible planning. I've done the med cruise and I'm doing another european cruise this summer. You should arrive 3 days prior and enjoy your starting city. Then go on the cruise.

Go early. Last year one of our friends flew in on a direct flight on the day of the cruise, he made it with minutes to spare. Unfortunately his luggage did not. It finally caught up with us in San Juan. He had some of his clothes in his carry on but not everything he needed for an 8-night cruise.

We always drive since it is only a six hour drive but we still go early. I find it is nice to be able to start relaxing the night before.

We always fly in the morning of the cruise even though it is a pain getting up at 3:30am. In the winter we have the cruise line arrange the airline reservation since weather in upstate NY can be tricky :eek:. Otherwise I make our flight arrangements since I can choose the airline and where the connection is. We always purchase the travel insurance regardless of who makes the flight arrangements.

Our first cruise with DCL we had no choice but to fly in day of since it was our honeymoon and our wedding was the day before :)

The thing with the day of airfare is that it's fine if you are booked WITH DISNEY. Then you don't have to worry about waiting for checked bags, etc. You get off the plane and head downstairs to get on DME (Disney's Magical Express). If you are booking the flight on your own there is more room for error. We have flown in the day of for DCL 2x and never had problems. (Granted we do live in Chicago but were going at non-snow times, never had to worry about snow delays)

It also depends on your travel party. If you have younger children, it would make for a long day if you are waking up at 4am to get on the flight. If you have older kids or no kids that can handle the more hectic day then it's not that bad. I tend to disagree with some people here saying the first day is shot because you are so tired from flying in that day. I've always found once I get to the ship I get a "second wind" because I'm so excited to finally be on there!

The thing with the day of airfare is that it's fine if you are booked WITH DISNEY. Then you don't have to worry about waiting for checked bags, etc....

True, I guess. However I will point out the obvious: flights booked by Disney are not immune to delay or cancellation.

True, I guess. However I will point out the obvious: flights booked by Disney are not immune to delay or cancellation.

And, if the delay is long enough, the ship still may not wait for you. Meaning that they (Disney) would fly you to the first stop to meet the ship. If you are on a three or five day cruise then you would be going to Nassau and getting a one or two day cruise.

And, if the delay is long enough, the ship still may not wait for you. Meaning that they (Disney) would fly you to the first stop to meet the ship. If you are on a three or five day cruise then you would be going to Nassau and getting a one or two day cruise.

A TA friend had booked a family for a five night on another line out of Tampa back around Christmas. Their flight was grounded, as were all flights out of the Northeast for about 24 hours during one of the storms. The soonest they could be rebooked onto another flight with open seats to catch up with the cruise, it was day three of the cruise and there was a good chance they might not arrive in Cozumel in time before the ship left, and they didn't want to risk being stuck in Cozumel. They lost the entire vacation, and the worst part was they didn't buy insurance.

A TA friend had booked a family for a five night on another line out of Tampa back around Christmas. Their flight was grounded, as were all flights out of the Northeast for about 24 hours during one of the storms. The soonest they could be rebooked onto another flight with open seats to catch up with the cruise, it was day three of the cruise and there was a good chance they might not arrive in Cozumel in time before the ship left, and they didn't want to risk being stuck in Cozumel. They lost the entire vacation, and the worst part was they didn't buy insurance.

Ouch!

Hopefully they learned a valuable lesson about the insurance :o

I can think of worse places to be stuck in December.

In that situation, I would have flew to Cozumel and if we missed the ship, stay a few days. But that's just me, I like a little adventure. Not a lot, just a little. Expensive yes but I don't get that much vacation time and I'd hate to waste it.

Apparently this could last for several days. People sailing out of Europe shortly are likely to be in a world of trouble as far as getting to their ship.

I've been speaking to Disney this evening as it's held up my tickets at the Fedex central hub. Hopefully we'll get them soon, its part of the fun isn't it? Even if they will let me on with ID, I want the fun of going through the pack.

Add ash cloud to the list of potential causes of flight cancellations:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36543312/ns/travel-news/

Apparently this could last for several days. People sailing out of Europe shortly are likely to be in a world of trouble as far as getting to their ship.

Having done a west med cruise a few years back. I'd say about 25% of the people who try to fly in the day of the cruise missed the ship and had to catch up with it at the first stop. Of those many didn't get their luggage for day. There is no reason to ever fly into a european cruise on the day of the cruise.

Hello,

I would like highly recommend to fly the day before to be sure you don't have any airline issues. The ship will not wait for. Also you would like to get a good night sleep and feel really well rested. So you can enjoy your first day on the cruise.

Good Luck!!!:)

• 4 weeks later...

We have flown in on the day of the cruise for every cruise we have done except one, which was when we were traveling with my parents and my kids. We leave on the first flight out and we have never had a problem.

Now, we have never taken a cruise in the winter, when the weather is more volatile, and if we do I think it would be better to fly out a day earlier since we live in a state where it snows and that causes havoc on flights.

It's personal choice, and if you like to play it safe, fly in the night before :)

We have flown in on the day of the cruise for every cruise we have done except one, which was when we were traveling with my parents and my kids. We leave on the first flight out and we have never had a problem.

Now, we have never taken a cruise in the winter, when the weather is more volatile, and if we do I think it would be better to fly out a day earlier since we live in a state where it snows and that causes havoc on flights.

It's personal choice, and if you like to play it safe, fly in the night before :)

Airports can close for a thunderstorm in summer just as easily as for a blizzard in winter. Mechanical issues are usually unrelated to weather and can happen anytime.

We flew in the morning of our cruise and had no trouble. Our flight left at 7:30. landed just before 10. It was an early morning and a long day for us (me, hubby and just under 2 year old son) but we knew we'd be taking an afternoon nap so it worked out. Next time we may fly in the day before.

• 2 months later...

Have friends who bought their airline tickets through the cruiseline (RCCL) and bought insurance. Their flight was delayed out of OKC into Texas, and then their seats were given away in Houston. The airline (American) flew them to San Juan to meet the cruise, but lost their luggage. We met them in San Juan on day 3 of the cruise and everyone was so unhappy. They were given money back for missing two days of the cruise, but our family missed their company for 3 days...so no one was very happy. All that could have been avoided if they had come out the day before, like we had. She was certain they would get a flight because she had booked through the cruise and it made no difference at all.

All this can be avoided by flying out just on day earlier, the hotel expense is well worth it, as far as I am concerned.

Go early. Last year one of our friends flew in on a direct flight on the day of the cruise, he made it with minutes to spare. Unfortunately his luggage did not. It finally caught up with us in San Juan. He had some of his clothes in his carry on but not everything he needed for an 8-night cruise.

We always drive since it is only a six hour drive but we still go early. I find it is nice to be able to start relaxing the night before.

I'd like to know how FalconFan is getting from Lawrenceville, GA (where I live) to Port Canaveral in 6 hours. I'm riding with you next time, it takes us at least 8.

I have to agree with the vast majority of the other posts, fly in the day before. Have everyone keep out what they need to get ready cruise morning in a smaller bag and leave the rest of the luggage either in the rental car or untouched in the corner of the hotel room. Vacations are exciting and wonderful and I would rather deal with the hassle/expense of staying overnight in a hotel than deal with the same on a missed cruise.

Archived