Aplmac...questions for you.

12Cruise

We will be in Barbados on a Monday, from 8 - 5...and, we are thinking of bringing soft sided coolers, going to a grocery store, filling one with drinks and ice, and the other with local snack food, and then heading to a quite beach.

What grocery store should we visit for supplies? And, what beach should we go to? We would like one with chairs and umbrella's available.

We would also like to eat lunch at a local restaurant...nothing fancy, just a down home type of place. Where would that be? It could be associated with the beach that we are at, but we want it to be some place a local person would eat at...not a touristy place.

Thank you for your time. :)

We will be in Barbados on a Monday, from 8 - 5...and, we are thinking of bringing soft sided coolers, going to a grocery store, filling one with drinks and ice, and the other with local snack food, and then heading to a quite beach.

What grocery store should we visit for supplies? And, what beach should we go to? We would like one with chairs and umbrella's available.

We would also like to eat lunch at a local restaurant...nothing fancy, just a down home type of place. Where would that be? It could be associated with the beach that we are at, but we want it to be some place a local person would eat at...not a touristy place.

Thank you for your time. :)

Not Aplmac but I'm sure he would suggest Rockley Beach and Bar Kanei for your beach and local restaurant of choice:). I probably would not disagree with him on either count.;)

Not sure of which grocery/supermarket I would suggest but I am sure he will be along shortly to advise you accordingly.

Not sure of which grocery/supermarket I would suggest

but I am sure he will be along shortly to advise you accordingly.

There's a small 7/11 in Quayside Mall

-just across the street from Rockley Beach- near Just Grillin.

You should be able to stock up there, but not sure about the ice bit.

There's a small 7/11 in Quayside Mall

-just across the street from Rockley Beach- near Just Grillin.

You should be able to stock up there, but not sure about the ice bit.

Yep, they sell small bags of party Ice there also. Right to the back of the store.

Thank you both for the wonderful information. I've copied and pasted it into my Port spreadsheet. We've been to Barbados once, loved it!! and can't wait to return.

What do you think about us renting a car? Is it easy for a tourist to drive around the island? Or, what about using public transportation? What is our best mode of transportation for the day?

Thnx!!

Thank you both for the wonderful information. I've copied and pasted it into my Port spreadsheet. We've been to Barbados once, loved it!! and can't wait to return.

What do you think about us renting a car? Is it easy for a tourist to drive around the island? Or, what about using public transportation? What is our best mode of transportation for the day?

Thnx!!

I would suggest it maybe best to use a taxi or public transportation as your mode of transportation for the day. I would lean towards a taxi more so because I am assuming you will be coming on a cruise.

I would not suggest hiring a car because I see you are from the US and you guys drive on the "wrong side" of the road:) so it maybe difficult for you to adapt and too be quite frank sometimes you encounter quite a bit of craziness on the roads. Just my $0.02.

Hope you enjoy your visit to the max.

• 2 weeks later...
Thnx Bajan Keith - we'll just not rent a car then - sometimes it is best to just sit back, relax and let someone else do the driving. ;)

That's what a vacation is all about in my opinion. Just sit back, relax and leave the hard work to somebody else.:D;)

That's what a vacation is all about in my opinion. Just sit back, relax and leave the hard work to somebody else.:D;)

I know, I know - that is what makes vacations so wonderful! Someone else is working and I'm not. And, no cooking or cleaning...now that is the life for me!! Ha-ha-ha! :D

Am I right in thinking that if we go to Accra/Rockley it is South and the sea is lively and if we go to Sandy Lane Beach it is on the calm west?

If this is the case which is the best beach or are they just all different

We like the sea quite calm so which beach would be considered the best and are they all narrow on the west coast?

We have been to the one near the Escape - not sure which it is - is the Sandy Lane better

This is so confusing

We are thinking to try the South for a change but don't want rough waters

Can you guide me at all?

Thank you

Am I right in thinking that if we go to Accra/Rockley it is South and the sea is lively and if we go to Sandy Lane Beach it is on the calm west?

If this is the case which is the best beach or are they just all different

We like the sea quite calm so which beach would be considered the best and are they all narrow on the west coast?

We have been to the one near the Escape - not sure which it is - is the Sandy Lane better

This is so confusing

We are thinking to try the South for a change but don't want rough waters

Can you guide me at all?

Thank you

Usually the south coast is a bit rougher than the west coast. Accra on south Sandy Lane on west. Having said that..rough is a relative term and on the south you get a few bigger waves but not that big to make swimming dangerous or impossible. The west coast sometimes does not even get a ripple.:eek:

One is not necessarily better than the other so in my opinion you can't go wrong with either one. This is a win win scenario for you:)

Usually the south coast is a bit rougher than the west coast. Accra on south Sandy Lane on west. Having said that..rough is a relative term and on the south you get a few bigger waves but not that big to make swimming dangerous or impossible. The west coast sometimes does not even get a ripple.:eek:

One is not necessarily better than the other so in my opinion you can't go wrong with either one. This is a win win scenario for you:)

Thank you Keith

We have been to Paynes if that is the one near Escape and we have been to Carlisle but didn't care for the Boatyard. We will try either Accra or Sandy Lane this time. We have been recommended to Bouganvillea resort but it is quite expensive for a day pass at $250 each but I am not sure what it includes and not sure that we need it if we have a fab beach

Thank you again

Gail

Thank you Keith

We have been to Paynes if that is the one near Escape and we have been to Carlisle but didn't care for the Boatyard. We will try either Accra or Sandy Lane this time. We have been recommended to Bouganvillea resort but it is quite expensive for a day pass at $250 each but I am not sure what it includes and not sure that we need it if we have a fab beach

Thank you

Gail

Archived