Mykonos from ship

ehogan

We had planned on just walking and enjoying the town of Mykonos, but I understand the cruise ships dock over a mile from the town and there is no shuttle service and taxis are scarce.

I really don't want to do the NCL tour @ $99 because we want a little more freedom just to walk and enjoy a coffee in the town, but I can't see walking that distance down a dusty road.

Anyone bin there done that and have some advice?

Thanks in advance

We did the taxi down and back from the ship. We then did a walking "Tour" on our own. It is a very neat town with lots of quaint shops and places to eat, or get a drink. There are some nice places right on the waterfront for lunch. Our visit was in 2007, so I don't remember any names, but there are several places with outdoor seating with great views. We also took a ferry over to Delos Island. Bought the tickets right there in town at the local dock. It wasn't something we pre-planned, but several people had mentioned it cruise critic, so we decided to checked it out while we were there. Delos is full of Greek ruins, has a small museum, and lots of hiking trails - if you into that kind of stuff. I'm a Greek history buff, so I really enjoyed it. The younger couple with us did more hiking. There is a trail to the top of a large hill with tremendous views of the island and surrounding sea.

Other lines run shuttle buses between Tourlas port and the old harbour in Mykonos town. There is usually a charge for this - Celebrity last year were charging $12 for a multi-journey ticket (i.e. an 'all day' pass). I'll be surprised if NCL don't do something similar. Also, these shuttle buses don't appear in the list of excursions.

We were on Celebrity Solstice last May and they had a shuttle.

$ 8.00 per person - all day rides.

You could go back and forth all you wanted.

Perhaps NCL has a shuttle but as posted - they don't appear on the excursion page. Don't remember Celebrity having them there either. We just went down to excursion desk once onboard (the night before Mykonos) and bought them.

I also wouldn't say the walk into town was a mile from the dock. Maybe a half mile at most.

The walk from the cruise ship doc to the center of Mykonos town is 2.5km or 1.55 miles. (The ship dock to the Delos Ferry) I called the Port of Tourlos and received this information.

Unfortunately, NCL has not decided to have a shuttle into town yet. :mad: Several of us on our Roll Call are on an email writing campaign. Some of our notes have been passed to the "Ground Support" Team at NCL HQ. As of yesterday, the response was "we hope to have an answer for you soon"

Here is a great web site that I was directed to by the Port of Tourlos. It shows some videos of the area and you can see the road to Mykonos, distances to places on the island, ships docking in the port, port web cam, etc

http://www.mykonos24.net/tourlos-beach.html

Fingers are crossed that NCL has a shuttle!

Guess I am a better/faster walker than I thought...!

Yep!:)

I did all this research because I have a recent injury and was trying to figure out if I can still do the walk to town.

Unfortunately, I dont think that I can do the steps and walkways at Delos now.:(

I did all this research because I have a recent injury and was trying to figure out if I can still do the walk to town.

Unfortunately, I dont think that I can do the steps and walkways at Delos now.:(

I was in Delos a couple of years ago. Depending on your injury, you could likely still see the avenue of lions and several of the agoras (and the museum). You wouldn't be able to climb the steep path to see some of the villas and the theater.

As Cynthia writes, you can do a great tour of Delos without any steps, including the avenue of the lions, the fun phallic statue, and the museum.

As Cynthia writes, you can do a great tour of Delos without any steps, including the avenue of the lions, the fun phallic statue, and the museum.

Thank you both for posting this information. I am recovering from a hip injury and really have been pouting about Mykonos and Delos.

Celebrity charged us $10 per person for their shuttle in November.

Keep in mind that you only need that shuttle if your ship docks. Our ship was supposed to tender, but then switched to docking. The tender boats dock in a great spot right in the middle of the action and there is no need for a shuttle.

We were on RCC two years ago and if I remember correctly they offered a free shuttle bus into town. This past summer, we were on Oceania and we were tendered to shore. Mykonos is very "doable" on your own. Plan to have lunch at one of the seaside restaurants.

Keep in mind that you only need that shuttle if your ship docks. Our ship was supposed to tender, but then switched to docking. The tender boats dock in a great spot right in the middle of the action and there is no need for a shuttle.

I wish that the NCL Gem was tendering but it appears that we are docking. I was so surprised to get a note back from NCL last month stating that there was not a shuttle to town planned. We are on the Gem's first Greek Isle cruise; so, I hope that they are in the process of changing their mind about the shuttle. Several people on our Roll Call have sent them emails.

I do wish that we would get switched to tendering as that sounds much better!

I wish that the NCL Gem was tendering but it appears that we are docking. I was so surprised to get a note back from NCL last month stating that there was not a shuttle to town planned. We are on the Gem's first Greek Isle cruise; so, I hope that they are in the process of changing their mind about the shuttle. Several people on our Roll Call have sent them emails.

I do wish that we would get switched to tendering as that sounds much better!

Mykonos has very limited docking, and I get the feeling it's on a "first-come, first-served" basis. When we visited Mykonos on Princess, we didn't know if we would be docking or tendering until we got there. I can't imagine NCL is different.

Side note: If NCL reps are the same as other cruise lines, you can't depend on their answers for accuracy, trust me. I've had reps tell me all kinds of things over the phone that turned out not to be true -- ranging from the Vatican museum being open on Sunday specially for Princess to telling me I had to get my own visa for Egypt.

Side note: If NCL reps are the same as other cruise lines, you can't depend on their answers for accuracy, trust me. I've had reps tell me all kinds of things over the phone that turned out not to be true -- ranging from the Vatican museum being open on Sunday specially for Princess to telling me I had to get my own visa for Egypt.

I am not just going on what one NCL department or my sales rep has told me. Since a few people in our group have limited mobility at this time, we have been in touch with several NCL departments and all have had the same response. We have been working on this since December with NCL. Our questions have now been passed to NCL's Ground Support Team for a response. That is the team that plans the support for the cruise at each port and would be arranging for the shuttle, if they have one. So, fingers are crossed that they either hire a shuttle or we tender.

I am not just going on what one NCL department or my sales rep has told me. Since a few people in our group have limited mobility at this time, we have been in touch with several NCL departments and all have had the same response. We have been working on this since December with NCL. Our questions have now been passed to NCL's Ground Support Team for a response. That is the team that plans the support for the cruise at each port and would be arranging for the shuttle, if they have one. So, fingers are crossed that they either hire a shuttle or we tender.

I hope it all works out. Seems hard to imagine that they wouldn't provide a shuttle option, given the number of older pax that tend to cruise, and of course others with limited mobility.

We are on Celebrity this summer, and we tender. Mykonos will be our beach day, and we plan on heading to Paradise beach for the day. Once off the tender, how easy is it to get a cab to a beach?

I hope it all works out. Seems hard to imagine that they wouldn't provide a shuttle option, given the number of older pax that tend to cruise, and of course others with limited mobility.

I know! I am still young ;) but I had a stupid accident in November and am getting a good taste of what it is like to have mobility issues. It is an eye opener.

I will post back here if I hear anything else from NCL. Being the first cruise on a new schedule has some draw-backs.

Thanks for all your input.

Kim

i have the same itinerary of you, but travel in June.

Looking to the ncl website, going ashore in Corfu is by tender.

am i missing something?

On this thread, we are talking about Mykonos and getting to the town of Mykonos from the ship's port. (which is not in town)

But, you bring up a good point about Corfu. Our Roll Call is taking a private tour in Corfu that is picking us up at the port. So, we have not been talking with NCL about a shuttle in Corfu. I wonder if they will have a shuttle in corfu?

Cynthia and others have summed it up well that it is not a huge distance. Could walk, if and if. Hopefully there will be a ship options that makes things a little closer and easier. What to do in Mykonos? Below are a few visual "samples" that there is much charm to see and enjoy there. It's worth it!!!! Especially, if you have a nice, sunny day there as we did. Here are some samples of my pictures for those who have not yet visited Mykonos.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

At the fish docks in Mykonos:

1A-Myk-FishDock.jpg

Mykonos’ market and outside dining area overlooking the harbor:

MikMarket.jpg

A longer shot of Mykonos’ four windmills and the village rooftops:

MikWindMills2.jpg

A Mykonos church with a dining area in front of this building:

MikChurDining.jpg

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's a sampling of the beachside activities:

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

1A-Myk-Beach2.jpg

On this thread, we are talking about Mykonos and getting to the town of Mykonos from the ship's port. (which is not in town)

But, you bring up a good point about Corfu. Our Roll Call is taking a private tour in Corfu that is picking us up at the port. So, we have not been talking with NCL about a shuttle in Corfu. I wonder if they will have a shuttle in corfu?

sorry VonChap i wrote by mistake Corfu...i ment Mykonos

From the ncl website,going ashore in Mykonos is also by tender.

sorry VonChap i wrote by mistake Corfu...i ment Mykonos

From the ncl website,going ashore in Mykonos is also by tender.

We would love to tender. Where did you find that on the NCL web site? We looked all over that web site last night and could not find any mention of tendering or docking.

I received my info from NCL about docking on our April sailing. CruiseCal also has us docking with another ship tendering. Perhaps it changes with each sailing?

Let me know where to find it on the NCL web site.

Thanks!

Kim

A word of warning that you shouldn't count on whether the pre-cruise documentation says you'll dock or tender in Mykonos. The pre-cruise info for our November cruise all said we'd tender and then when we boarded in Rome, the flyer said we'd dock instead. I would have never thought that I'd prefer tendering to docking until we were in Mykonos!

So they may change it on you without warning.

Archived