snorkeling in Kealakekua Bay, water too cold?

650cs

I read this about snorkeling near Cook's Monument in Kealakekua Bay, near Kailua-Kona, on the Big Island:

The calm, protected waters and sunny skies of Kealakekua Bay provide superior snorkeling and diving year round, with the water temperature averaging 76 degrees.

Hmmm... 76 degrees seems pretty chilly to me.:eek:

If you have snorkeled here, please tell me if the water was too cold! Thanks!

What time of year are you visiting? I have snorkeled there twice. It was February/March both times and I thought it was very comfortable and the snokeling was great. If you are worried about the temp. maybe you should consider a shorting wetsuit. My wife has one. I find that snorkeling in Hawaii is cooler than snorkeling in the Caribbean or F.P., but very doable.

We will be there in the middle of April. Why doesn't it seem cold at 76 degrees? I am glad to hear that no one seemed to notice. Did anyone see people wearing a wetsuit? I don't want to take up that much room in the suitcase for one if I don't really need it. Space is at a premium!!

I am interested in the water temp for snorkeling too!

My wife and I will be on the POA in May and we are thinking of doing a snorkeling activity with Roberts...

Has anyone did this?

How was the water?

We only have snorkeled in the Caribbean...

Thanks!

SKI

I was there last week, Feb 2010, and did not see anyone using a wet suit. Water was very comfortable for the hour or so we snorkled with Captain Zodiac's crew. Water very clear and a good assortment of fish and coral to view. Enjoyed the Captain Zodiac Excursion very much and would recommend it to anyone who is considering it. FYI; I don't like cold swimming pools so if I can do it, you should be able to too.

Archived