Day Tour of Normandy D-Day landing

cruiser53

Will be in Normandy on 5/31 off the QM2 for the day. We are docking in Cherbourg, and am trying to find a private tour guide with a van that can accomodate 5 of us for a full day tour of Normandy's D-Day Landing, American Cemetery, Omaha Beach etc. Any refferals would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

My name is Francis and I am a tour guide in Normandy, If you dock in Cherbourg, you will be able to see Sainte mere eglise/Utah beach/pointe du hoc/American cemetery and Omaha beach. This tour would last 6/7 hours and there are many companies you can contact for this kind of private tour (most of them are really good). I am sure you will have a great time.

Francis.

Will be in Normandy on 5/31 off the QM2 for the day. We are docking in Cherbourg, and am trying to find a private tour guide with a van that can accomodate 5 of us for a full day tour of Normandy's D-Day Landing, American Cemetery, Omaha Beach etc. Any refferals would be greatly appreciated.

Just want you to consider renting a car in Cherbourg as we did Nov. 25th. Another couple from our roll call asked if we would consider taking them along and splitting everything and we did. We rented a wonderful car (more like a minivan) from National and it was very easy. Our first stop was the American Cemetary, which was very fascinating and emotionally moving. The visitor's center there was great. Then on to Omaha Beach, Pont du Hoc, and Su Mer Eglese. It was all so easy. The tough part was finding some place open for lunch as the season was long over and almost everything was closed. We ended up at McDonalds and the kids behind the counter all spoke English! Returned the car to National and they drove us back to the port. The best and easiest thing we ever did even though initially, DH was a bit nervous. The roads and signage were fine and we saved a bunch of money. It was a day we will never forget.

Agree with Joyce and Randy above. We had a car from National as well...about €72 for the day. We even got a free upgrade with a satnav in, so you won't get lost. If you go to your furthest point away (Omaha), that will be about an hours drive and then work your way back. Most 'war' sites are well signposted. We just stopped at a supermarket and grabbed some bread and cheese and had an impromptu picnic on a very windy Utah beach! National will pick you up at the terminal and take you the 3 minute drive to their office. When you go downstairs in the terminal, there is a tourist info desk just before you go out of the doors. Ask someone there to ring National for you and they will come and get you. If you use https://www.nationalcar.com/ select Cherbourg Ferry port.

Simon

We are using Eric from http://www.ddaylandingtours.com/ in July on our Princess cruise. The communication from Michelle has been outstanding. We are doing the American Highlights tour. If you click on cruise ship tours you will see what is offered. When they found out one of our group's father landed at Utah Beach on D Day , they requested his regiment info etc. and Eric is going to do research so he can show her exactly where he landed . They come highly recommended on Cruise Critic reviews as well as other sites . Eric is going to drive 1 1/2 hrs from Normandy to pick us up in le Havre where our ship will be docked. Can't say enough good things about our communication and dealings with Michelle and Eric so far.

Hi,

My name is Francis and I am a tour guide in Normandy, If you dock in Cherbourg, you will be able to see Sainte mere eglise/Utah beach/pointe du hoc/American cemetery and Omaha beach. This tour would last 6/7 hours and there are many companies you can contact for this kind of private tour (most of them are really good). I am sure you will have a great time.

Francis.

Francis ~ Is it possible to see all these sites from Le Havre?

before choosin a tour cie from cherbourg even le havre, be carfeul with frenc cies they ask too much consider it is like 400$ for a tour by minivan not more

if they ask negociate with them france is country where we negociate

i think 300€ is already good for daytour from le havre cherbourg to ddaybeaches

Francis ~ Is it possible to see all these sites from Le Havre?

From Cherbourg, eastward to its nearest site, Ste Mere Eglise, is 23 miles, about 1/2 hr.

But from Le Havre, westward to its nearest site, the American Cemetery near Colleville, is 87 miles, about 1 3/4 hrs.

Therefore the same tour would be a further 128 miles, about 2 1/2 hrs. But bearing in mind that you need a bigger margin for delays on the greater distance back to a ship at Le Havre, I guess you ought to allow mebbe 2 3/4 hrs more. Either that or adjust the schedule, depending on the time available.

Depends to some extent on your available time ashore, & the depth of your pocket - but it's frequently done.

John Bull

before choosin a tour cie from cherbourg even le havre, be carfeul with frenc cies they ask too much consider it is like 400$ for a tour by minivan not more

if they ask negociate with them france is country where we negociate

i think 300€ is already good for daytour from le havre cherbourg to ddaybeaches

I wouldn't have thought to even try to negotiate the price. Is this really common in France?

• 6 months later...
We are using Eric from http://www.ddaylandingtours.com/ in July on our Princess cruise. The communication from Michelle has been outstanding. We are doing the American Highlights tour. If you click on cruise ship tours you will see what is offered. When they found out one of our group's father landed at Utah Beach on D Day , they requested his regiment info etc. and Eric is going to do research so he can show her exactly where he landed . They come highly recommended on Cruise Critic reviews as well as other sites . Eric is going to drive 1 1/2 hrs from Normandy to pick us up in le Havre where our ship will be docked. Can't say enough good things about our communication and dealings with Michelle and Eric so far.

I realize this was an old post but hope someone can reply

how was this particular tour?

did you have to get others to join you or do they assign you into a group with others--we are only 2 people & not sure we can get others from our roll call to join for this tour...

• 2 weeks later...
From Le havre, you would be able to visit: longues sur mer battery/american cemetery/omaha beach and pointe du hoc. Utah beach and St mere eglise are too far away.

Francis.

With an early pickup at LeHavre, we saw both Utah and St Mere Eglise. It's a trade-off, but that's where my FIL saw action and we had our guide schedule the day so that it would be possible. It certainly wouldn't have happened on the Princess tour. We also stopped at the German Cemetary which was very moving (as well as Omaha, and the American Cemetary).

• 2 weeks later...

Try Overlord tours. Although I thought my husband could giv the tour himself, we had a great tour guide Stephan from Overlord tours. My husband planned this, where he wanted to go, and they were GREAT!!! They are local, on time and a great price for the day!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived