Sailing with a large charter group on board - should we switch?

librarylady19

Hey Greg,

I'm cool with everything, as long as no one (male or female) is wearing a European style thong bathing suit. Of course, that might not be as tacky as wearing jeans in Murano (guess I'm just inviting trouble now!!)/QUOTE]

Darn, We were planning on wearing matching Speedos :eek: and imprinted Tees (the kind with the bow tie and vest) to the MDR on formal night. Not OK???

Anyway, my partner of 24 years and I wanted to partake of the Solsitce experience but read many threads about how dead the nightlife was. While searching for a fall cruise we noticed the PP cruise on the Solstice and thought it could be the perfect combination. A little more fun in the evening and a beautiful ship. We are in our mid-fifties, live in the suburbs of the SF bay area, workout a bit, have a weekend home near Yosemite, are professionals but still like to have an adult beverage or two, enjoy some great food, some great shows and occasionally try to stay out late dancing the night away. Our minds most of the time think we are in our 30's :D. Being from the west coast, as long as we keep our bodies on Pacific time it won't be late. I am saying all of this because this PP group will come in all shapes and sizes. As said before, some will be younger and party all night but some will go to the glass show, enjoy bocce, wine tastings, and be in bed by 11.

The concern that some may have that they can't get into the specialty restaurants and the martini bar will be crowded is only a related to the probability that the group is a bit more affluent, wants to have some fun, and tends to appreciate the finer things in life. These are not part of any "sanctioned" events. So is this bad?

Cruising is about enjoying life, meeting some great new folks, and experiencing what a great world this is. We might have enjoyed the Paula Dean group cruise;)

Paul and Mark

Paul & Mark,

I like your style and hope we'll meet on this cruise. I feel like I'm in my 30's too - until I look in the mirror. You guys have a great attitude....I think there will be plenty of room on board for all of us!! Until November....

Sandi:

Your not 30, I'm shocked....

Great thread, thanks for hanging in there..

Sandi:

Your not 30, I'm shocked....

Great thread, thanks for hanging in there..

Hey Don....you just made my day;) Surprised that Lois hasn't weighed in on this topic yet. Of course, I can already guess her opinion....she's such a people person and the more the merrier!:)

Anyway, my partner of 24 years and I wanted to partake of the Solsitce experience but read many threads about how dead the nightlife was. ..... I am saying all of this because this PP group will come in all shapes and sizes. As said before, some will be younger and party all night but some will go to the glass show, enjoy bocce, wine tastings, and be in bed by 11.

The concern that some may have that they can't get into the specialty restaurants and the martini bar will be crowded is only a related to the probability that the group is a bit more affluent, wants to have some fun, and tends to appreciate the finer things in life. These are not part of any "sanctioned" events. So is this bad?

Cruising is about enjoying life, meeting some great new folks, and experiencing what a great world this is. We might have enjoyed the Paula Dean group cruise;)

Paul and Mark

Well said. My partner and I are in our mid 40's and we feel like we are in our 30's too. We are booked on the Equinox this spring and are VERY concerned about the snooze factor on these ships from reading on the boards. I have done many cruises both group and non-group cruises and I would say that the only difference most people would see is more men on board and a livelier ship. While it may be a group of gay people we all don't have all the same interests.

I have done several Group Cruises (not PP) and I would say that the consensus in the Gay Cruise Community is that the PP is the most laid back of all the Gay group cruises as in the way of not much Formal Planning except for a few cocktail parties that are usually held in a venue that is not being used.

I dont think there would be a "storming of the buffett" all at one time type of situation on this cruise.

Have fun and enjoy what ever setting is going to make your vacation the best.

Tom

Yes, we were on a cruise with a large Bridge Player Group and it was a madhouse - those Bridge Players are Animals, I tell you! One orders a Gin Martini, the next one orders a Double Gin Martini and then another demands a Grand Slammer Bombay Sapphire!! It got ugly. They started trumping each other, and using foul language, such as 'your nothing but a low-life Club!'. At the end, they all Passed (out).....Oh, I'm sorry, that was a dream I had last night after watching 'Bridge Over the River Kwai'.

I know, it's getting late and I need to quit posting.

Denny

That was hilarious! thank you for a chuckle to start the day!

That hits the nail on the head. Maybe a little more than that on the Martini Bar—I swear Millennium listed to starboard at 7:00 each night.

The fact that the group enjoy the finer things in life is good and bad depending on your point of view. For us, we also enjoy the finer things and if those locations are constantly full of like minded people then it becomes tougher for us to enjoy them as there are too many people. Granted we would have lots of folks to talk to and have fun with if we are able to get in. This will be our first cruise where Hubby will be using a scooter so we would need even more room in a bar area than a normal couple. And we would really like to have enough room to park that said scooter and sit at the bar. We also don't want to feel like we are taking up more than our fair share of the valued real estate. Again going back to the size of the group and vast numbers of people who enjoy the limited size areas on a ship that we enjoy.

For right now, we are inclined to go ahead and book this cruise and go with a "join in the fun" attitude. The other 2 cruises that we have compared it with are just not as appealing to us. The good thing is we know about it so we can expect it and can look forward to meeting many interesting people. Can someone teach me bocce (spelling?) ball?

The fact that the group enjoy the finer things in life is good and bad depending on your point of view. For us, we also enjoy the finer things and if those locations are constantly full of like minded people then it becomes tougher for us to enjoy them as there are too many people. Granted we would have lots of folks to talk to and have fun with if we are able to get in. This will be our first cruise where Hubby will be using a scooter so we would need even more room in a bar area than a normal couple. And we would really like to have enough room to park that said scooter and sit at the bar. We also don't want to feel like we are taking up more than our fair share of the valued real estate. Again going back to the size of the group and vast numbers of people who enjoy the limited size areas on a ship that we enjoy.

For right now, we are inclined to go ahead and book this cruise and go with a "join in the fun" attitude. The other 2 cruises that we have compared it with are just not as appealing to us. The good thing is we know about it so we can expect it and can look forward to meeting many interesting people. Can someone teach me bocce (spelling?) ball?

love your attitide!!

Hope you join us on the roll call!:o

After the first few posts things got off line. The OP was only concerned with a large "700" group of PEOPLE. The posts after that were going in the direction of gays, bikers, bears. Please stay on line. She was concerned about a large group at times moving in the same direction...That's all I have to say.

After the first few posts things got off line. The OP was only concerned with a large "700" group of PEOPLE. The posts after that were going in the direction of gays, bikers, bears. Please stay on line. She was concerned about a large group at times moving in the same direction...That's all I have to say.

Yes, and the type of group can make a difference. 700 super models would take up a lot less space than 700 professional wrestlers - and would create a completely different atmosphere. :D

I think the OP has a right to know the type of group involved to decide if that particular group would add to, or take away from, her cruise experience.

I would definitely switch...700 is too large a group for any Celebrity sized ship if you are not with the big group...the members will be gathering at pools, Persian gardens, other venues, clubs & taking excursions togther & garnering the attention of the CD at many events--You will feel left out of the main events!!!

Just as an example...we were on with a large group of ballroom dancers--all nice folks but no room for the rest of us on the dance floor & they put us to shame anyhow!!! other groups like aeorobics exercisers (who book early am pool time), religious groups, corporate groups vacationing together, large family reunions etc also have the same effect...& if the folks from Pied Pier are not something you are open to that'd make you feel even more left out...

I find that the The educational seminars or business mtg groups are the least intrusive as they meet in the mtg rooms most of the time & only take out a venue once in awhile for pvt parties...

hope you are satisfied with whatever decision you make...you are lucky to have time to decide! happy cruising

Another factor to consider is whether the large group of people know each other or have a lot in common. PP, for example, is made up mostly of middle-aged couples who don't know each other prior to the cruise and have very little (except for the obvious) in common. They only gather as a group for events planned by PP. Otherwise, they are no different than any other random 350 couples on the ship (except for the obvious).

I think a group of 50 members of the same family could cause a bigger disruption, and there are groups like that on every cruise.

In any case, the OP might switch and end up on a ship filled with 700 NASCAR fans. (Oh, wait, that would be on Carnival;)). You get the point - there is no way to control for this happening, and it's the chance you take on any cruise you book.

When I sailed on Solstice last year, the Pied Pipers were on my cruise! (I had never heard of them before....) They never overwhelmed a location except for one -- they did seem to overtake the Martini Bar at times!

My husband and I really enjoyed having the group on board actually because they always seemed like they were having more fun than anybody else. (Not in a loud, obnoxious way like some cruisers are -- just in a fun, lively way.)

In fact, it got to the point that when ever we went to have a drink at a bar, we tried to sit near any group that we thought might be with the Pied Pipers because we knew that's where the fun would be.

I say go on your cruise and don't worry.

Out of curiosity - how does one find out if there is a large group on a particular cruise?

Thanx

I'd also like to know the answer to this question. Does Celebrity tell you if you ask? Or is it just gaining information through Roll Call? My vacation dates are set and whether or not there is a large group, we're going. But was just curious.

I'd also like to know the answer to this question. Does Celebrity tell you if you ask? Or is it just gaining information through Roll Call? My vacation dates are set and whether or not there is a large group, we're going. But was just curious.

I learned of this group from someone on our Roll Call. I have heard of others googling their cruise (ship and date) but that isn't always going to bring up information. I wouldn't expect to get that info. out of Celebrity.

• 7 months later...
Thanks Squiddy,

I was thinking that is might liven up the ship - esp. after reading some of the recent Solstice returnees complain about how quiet the ship was and the dearth of nightlife. You're right...could be a good party!

Ms. Librarian,

So glad you will be on board with us ! :D

The first "Mixed" cruise I did I was apprehensive about the reactions of the rest of the passengers. This was on a much larger ship (Liberty OTS) so the 650 of us had less of an impact.

Well, the overwhelming reaction of the other PAX was "Can I join your group?" or "Can I come to YOUR parties?".

And I must say that the women more than the men on board were anxious to revel in the additional frivolity, even if only vicariously. :rolleyes:

And this year, I do not know the size yet, but so far it looks to be less than last year's 650.

We never took over any venue when it would have been in use for the general PAX.

And as for dining, the same as everybody else. We just had table assignments together for dinner. ;)

Breakfast, lunch & buffet were all intermingled to the enjoyment of us and the other PAX.

You sound like a lot of fun, so do look me up. (we'll be easy to spot :cool: )

r.

Another factor to consider is whether the large group of people know each other or have a lot in common. PP, for example, is made up mostly of middle-aged couples who don't know each other prior to the cruise and have very little (except for the obvious) in common. They only gather as a group for events planned by PP. Otherwise, they are no different than any other random 350 couples on the ship (except for the obvious).

I think a group of 50 members of the same family could cause a bigger disruption, and there are groups like that on every cruise.

In any case, the OP might switch and end up on a ship filled with 700 NASCAR fans. (Oh, wait, that would be on Carnival;)). You get the point - there is no way to control for this happening, and it's the chance you take on any cruise you book.

Thanks for making me laugh!! I could not agree more.

I have been part of a large corporate sailing with several hundred salesmen/saleswomen who won the trip as part of a sales incentive program. We did take over several venues a few nights. for example, the night we had the main theater for the awards program, it started at 530 and ended at 7 pm...no interruption to other passengers. Another night we had one of the bars roped off for several hours after dinner. I will say that the martini bar was crowded with us there as we all ate together during late seating...we did get loud at times. hopefully it did not impact others cruise experience. ok, who am I kidding, we were loud, telling jokes, laughing...so it probably did impact someone. We saw the same people at the martini bar each night, even people who were not part of our group, so can assume did not impact them too much.

I think PP group is on our February 2011 cruise and we are not changing. No clue how big the group will be. the week works for us and we are staying put.

Happy sailing libertylady!! I see you are from the "south" side :)

I just learned that there is a large charter group on Solstice 11/28 sailing (probably more than 700 pax). We are not part of this group and I'm concerned that it will have a negative impact on our cruise experience. I have read many posts about the problems with large groups taking over bars, entertainment venues, pools, etc.

YIKES! I too just found out that a large group is going on be on my cruise as well! My partner and I are going to be on the Eclipse 12/4 and just found out there will be 2,850 other people. :p:p We are going to take the cruise anyway. Straight people can be fun to watch when they are grazing at the buffet. lol

I just learned that there is a large charter group on Solstice 11/28 sailing (probably more than 700 pax). We are not part of this group and I'm concerned that it will have a negative impact on our cruise experience. I have read many posts about the problems with large groups taking over bars, entertainment venues, pools, etc.

Can anyone give me another perspective on this situation based on their experience. I don't want to switch if it's no biggie as our time frame is pretty limited and we have a sweet hump cabin on this sailing.

(Before I get flamed, let me state that this has nothing to do with the group in question, just the fact that it is a large group of people who booked through one agency and will be participating in sponsored activities.)

Due to the sheer size of the group, I would definitely switch. It might truly impact your cruise in a negative way.

My worst experience with a group was on the Crown Princess a few years ago. On a ship of 3200 (I think) pax, 1500 were from a Christian organization from all over the world. We were part of another, smaller group (of about 200 pax).

These were the major problems:

1. Took over the pool area 2 nights out of 7 for religious ceremonies, so no "movies under the stars". Boo!

2. For some reason, those members of the other group with staterooms on the pool deck felt that had to pray in the hallways, thereby blocking access to the pool or you had to interrupt someone's prayers to get to the pool. A little awkward.

3. This was a bit more of an evangelical Christian group, and if you talked to them for more than a few minutes they actually started to try to convert you (much to the consternation of a nice Jewish lady we know).

So #1 was a problem from a size of group point of view.

#2 and 3 were problems with the nature of the group, although, that could happen on any ship.

Archived