Another Passport Question

Sea and Me

Our son is getting married in November. They will be getting passports probably sometime in August. Since our future daughter in law will get hers in her maiden name how does that work?? Since the name in August will be different in November.

Thanks for your help.

Carol

ditto to the above. she should book and travel using maiden name. My DD went thru this last year and did exactly as stated, no problems. We also have a fall cruise planned this year, booked Summer '09. She booked with maiden and has since had it changed to married name with her p'port change. enjoy.

If she is a US citizen, and IF is going on a "closed loop cruise" (start and end in a US port), she can cruise with a certified birth certificate and drivers license and marriage license. She can book the cruise under her new married name but then must show her marriage license at the pier, along with the other 2 forms of documentation, as legal proof of name change. No need for a passport on closed loop cruises for US citizens. She can then apply for a passport under her married name after returning from the cruise.

WeBeGone is correct in the above answer, but I would point out that a legal copy marriage certificate is usually not available until several weeks after the wedding. Since OP said the wedding and cruise are both in November, I suspect the cruise will be just a few days after the wedding and there will be no time to obtain a certified copy of the registered marriage license, and the new bride's ID will also still say Miss Susie Smith, her maiden name. So either way (passport or BC) the new bride will have to book in her maiden name, not her newly married name.

Because of that I would stick with the passport in the maiden name for this cruise. Princess is very used to it and will be happy to change the door cards to read "Mr and Mrs" once onboard. IF she wishes to cruise with just a BC and ID, she can certainly choose that, but passports are always a better choice. She can change her passport to her married name at no charge up to one year after it was issued.

I did the same. Booked under my maiden name for our honeymoon since it matched all my identification and credit cards. No problems! I think it is easiest to do it this way and then make any changes after returning home.

With all the stress of a wedding, who needs added stress of the DMV and dealing with CC companies. Additionally it is expensive to put a rush on a passport. She will need a copy of the marriage certificate to change her name on government documents. Since a marriage certificate takes a couple weeks before she will be able to get a copy, the name change may not be possible until after the wedding, making travel impossible (if booked under married name).

Laura

We went to Germany this last Nov and the passport guy wanted to know if we were traveling together why were we not married. My wife has everything in her maiden name as that is what she uses in her medical field professionally, and too much trouble to change all documents. We have not had any problems, only comments.

Keep in mind that, if she wants to change her name on her passport to her married name, she will probably want to do this right after the cruise. There is no fee for a name change for a very short time (6 months, I believe) from the original issue. After that, she will pay the full price for another passport.

Book everything for her under her maiden name to match the passport. After they get back, and she changes her ID, then get a new passport.
I agree with this as it's the easiest and one less thing for her to worry about before the wedding. Just book everything in her maiden name, including flights, and worry about changing the passport afterwards. If it's within six months, she can apply for a name change; it's just a sticker that goes in the back of the passport.

We went to Germany this last Nov and the passport guy wanted to know if we were traveling together why were we not married. My wife has everything in her maiden name as that is what she uses in her medical field professionally, and too much trouble to change all documents. We have not had any problems, only comments.

I frequently travel with friends (guys and gals) we all have different names (first and last). i don't care what country you visit it ain't none of their business. If you got a passport the name on it can always be an AKA. If the Us government recognizes the name thats all you need.

Archived