What do you want to know about Marina?

editor@cruisecritic

I would be more inclined too believe what is on the O website than the article

For the most exclusive dining experience at sea, bar none, Privée may be reserved for a single party of up to ten privileged guests per evening. Lavishly decorated with oversized white leather throne chairs, a custom-made one-of-a-kind Lalique crystal table, illuminated by a white Venini glass chandelier, and trimmed in vibrant red and gold hues, Privée transforms every aspect of dining into a sensory experience of pure elation. It is that stunning, as you partake of an absolutely over-the-top seven course Menu Degustation exclusively designed for you by the Executive Chef.

No where does it state only for suite guests

If you are willing to pay the fee I am sure anyone can book it

Maybe FDR will comment

Lyn

Where did you get the idea that a fee would be assessed? Your post doesn't mention one at all.

If anything, I believe that there would be a pecking order for reservations with OS first, then VS, etc.

Where did you get the idea that a fee would be assessed? Your post doesn't mention one at all.

If anything, I believe that there would be a pecking order for reservations with OS first, then VS, etc.

I think I read it in the brochure but I could be wrong

The other specialty restaurants are included but I think the La Reserve & Privee carry a fee but maybe not for suite guests

Lyn

In the brochure in the Stateroom descriptions section under Amenities, OWS (Owners Suites) VS (Vista Suites) OCS (Oceania Suites) and PS (Penthouse Suites) all have exclusive access to Executive Lounge staffed by a Concierge. No mention of Privee.

In the brochure in the Cuisine section under Dining it reads "six distinctive open-seating restaurants all at no additional charge". So the traditional four plus Jacques and Red Ginger are at no additional charge and I assume by open-seating they mean the seating is not restricted to certain folks.

Later in the list it reports "wine & food parings in La Reserve" and "Host private ... dinners in Privee". No mention of who can do this.

In the Indulge section it says "Privee may be reserved for a single party of up to ten..." It is silent on who may reserve. That said, in the brochure it appears the amenities and activities that are restricted to a certain stateroom class are either mentioned in the description or the feature is only described within the pages for that class.

There is no mention of the cost so I am guessing it is for the room or on a per-person with a minimum. It also seems the brochure sometimes states when things are at no additional charge for clarification such as the "six distinctive … restaurants", but does not when things cost extra as in this case.

So from this I assume that any passenger can book Privee as they can for a seat in La Reserve. This is just my interpretation of what I found in the brochure. I think Customer Service at O would have the definitive answer, as I am sure that while the vessel is not yet fitted out the policies are in place.

If we had local friends traveling with us on the Maiden Voyage as we did on out last cruise I'd definitely inquire. I am sure if you can arrange it this will be a terrific memory for your significant birthday celebration stanandjim.

Have to run. The Gold Medal Hockey game soon to begin.

There was little or no discussion of Prive at the float-out, and we were not shown the area where it will be located during the hard-hat tour. However, we spent spme time at La Reserva. It will be a 24 seat restaurant that will be used primarily for wife and food pairings. It will also be useful for wine tours that cruise as a group. Instead of the closed-in feeling of many such rooms, La Reserva will have on wall of windows overlooking a section of deck, and the deck can serve as an exterior "patio" for the room. The wall opposite the windows will consist entirely of a wine rack.

It will definitely involve a fee, but that fee has not yet been determined. I got the impression that it will not be available every day or evening of the cruise, as there could be other uses. Certainly, if a wine group reserved the entire venue, it would not be available for the rest of the passengers at that time.

La Reserva, like every other restaurant on the ship, will have it's own galley. There will be no central galley where meals are prepared and transported to the serving area; all of the meals will be freshly prepared in galleys at each restaurant. It was not discussed in my hearing, but I might guess that Prive' might be the one exception to that, as I have seen it described as a dining room rather than a restaurant, but I could wll be wrong.

I, too, saw the description of Prive' as being for the Owner's Suites, but it does not make sense to me that it would be exclusively for those guests. There are only three owner's suites, and I can't image the occupants to want to spend every third night in Prive with 8 additional guests, when they have their own private dining area in their suite.

...:o

Don,

Other than Betsy & you, Stan & Jim and Carolyn, was anyone else from CC members invited for the Marina "float"?

Must have been a lot of fun as well as an honor - congrats:)!

Thanks,

Paul

Don,

Other than Betsy & you, Stan & Jim and Carolyn, was anyone else from CC members invited for the Marina "float"?

Must have been a lot of fun as well as an honor - congrats:)!

Thanks,

Paul

Yes, it was quite an honor. When we learned of it, we were astounded and flabbergasted. Stan, Jim, Betsy and I were the only "civilians". All the rest were media, travel agents or otherwise "in the industry".

As for fun, I'm still excited and bubbling over! I'm going to try to share as much of it as I can, mostly so I won't explode from the enthusiasm :eek:!

We learned about it on our hard hat tour --

Carolyn

Stan,

Where the idea came from was from the article posted:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3711

"Another new dining concept is the cozy Prive, tucked between Polo Grill and Toscana. A special menu at the 10-seat private dining room will be offered to passengers who reside in the ship's priciest Owner's suites."

Kathleen

We learned about it on our hard hat tour

Hi Carolyn-

We heard about Privee on our hardhat tour also......I guess that Don was distracted for that moment. I particularly remember Tim (who led our group) describing the white dining chairs in Privee as having a lot of "bling in the base". :D

You were with a different group for the tour. Were you told that Privee was an Owners Suite only perquisite? Please let me know, I was going to print invitations! :eek:

Hi -- I so enjoyed meeting you both! And didn't get as much time to chat with the Horners but it was nice to meet them as well.

What a week!

Anyway, I was told it was an Owner's Suite only perk but my hunch is that Oceania's still sorting out exactly what it wants to do with the room. If anyone wonders where it is, it's snugged right in between Toscana and Polo Grill (imagine on the existing trio of ships if the two restaurants didn't actually share a common wall).

Hi Carolyn-

We heard about Privee on our hardhat tour also......I guess that Don was distracted for that moment. I particularly remember Tim (who led our group) describing the white dining chairs in Privee as having a lot of "bling in the base". :D

You were with a different group for the tour. Were you told that Privee was an Owners Suite only perquisite? Please let me know, I was going to print invitations! :eek:

Hi, I have a lot of catching up to do here :) -- have answers to most if not all questions. We're also putting together a photo slideshow of the ship so stay tuned. Had hoped to answer your questions Sunday but alas, literally stepped off the airplane from Genoa smack into the crisis of the tragic earthquake in Chile.

What we have done so far is written a news item on the float out (very moving) and updated our Marina "first glimpse". I hope you'll vote in our godmum poll if you haven't yet -- the godmother for Marina was the hot topic of speculation among the agents, journalists and VIPs that attended!

Hope you'll hang tight....

Carolyn

I love Oceania's existing trio of ships and was a bit worried, on hearing about all the new features of Marina, that the new vessel would sort of be the Seabourn Odyssey as it relates to Legend, Pride and Spirit (i.e. feels like a different cruise line, not necessarily a bad thing, but I really do love Nautica, Regatta and Insignia).

So the most enduring impression while touring the ship on Friday was how similar it felt. Yes, there's lots of brand spanking new stuff, and I love the variety of the restaurants. But you literally didn't need a tour guide -- so much of the ship really reflects the essence of the existing vessels. Particularly the layout.

What I loved: The new coffee bar, Baristas, is located in the library (with bench seats curling around the pool-facing glass); specialty coffees are no extra charge (could get crowded!). La Reserve, the indoor-outdoor venue that will host food and wine tastings, is a perfect (PERFECT) spot for Cruise Critic gatherings. And the Grand Dining Room, even though it was a construction site, is going to be gorgeous. It's got 17 ft. ceilings (we did a cruise on the ultra-luxe Hapag-Lloyd's Europa a few years back and its dining room had a similar feel, as if you were in a grand hotel somewhere).

What's interesting: Oceania's partnership with Lalique in the foyer means that there will be crystal panels on stairs and walls. But what's cool is that Lalique will actually make collectibles that you can buy in the gift shop that are only available on Marina.

Carolyn

(questions emailed by Seniorcitizen): I've already posted the names of the ship's maiden captain and general manager (aka hotel director); no one was willing to yet say who cruise director will be.

Yes, it's true that Jacques Pepin will conduct culinary master classes. A funny little vignette. At Cruise Critic we're working on a story on celebrity chefs that have restaurants onboard. There are quite a few. But Jacques really wowed our writer with his sheer and utter enthusiasm about cruising. The man really loves what he does with Oceania and that's just fantastic.

There are few inside cabins because most people don't want 'em. I'm seasick prone but I'd still rather be where I can see light/horizon. I think, too, if people can get a balcony for what they used to pay for an outside, most prefer that option. Think of it as a nice picture window that lets in fresh air!

Carolyn

Hi, think the news about the second ship -- which we now know is to be called Riviera -- came out just after you asked your question! Basically, Frank del Rio said that, in essence, the new ship will be identical in layout to Marina because, and I paraphrase, how do you improve on perfection? But I'd bet that you really can't know for sure until a ship comes out and has passengers what works and what doesn't work (for instance, Oasis of the Seas had a very successful launch -- but RCI is tweaking some features for Allure, its second ship).

I love Genoa, too. It's got a gorgeous setting on the Mediterranean (with snow-dusted mountains framing a backdrop), a beautiful old city, a marvelous culinary tradition and more. It's also not terribly touristy and so you get an authentic Italian experience that can be thin on the ground in places like Venice and Florence, however charming they may be! I actually cruised from here, on MSC's Fantasia, and had a marvelous pre-cruise stay.

Carolyn

Hi, asked your question for you and got an "no idea at this point" answer.

It's also too early for details on how the Culinary Studio @ Sea will actually work (and I don't think the following info is anything we haven't already written about on Cruise Critic) but were told that there will be 24 stations and all would offer "hands on cooking opportunities". Chefs teaching the classes will come from Oceania's participation with Bon Appetit magazine and Jacques Pepin, as noted above, will teach a handful of master classes. Topics will include (but not be limited to) barbecue, "ultimate Sunday brunch", chocolate truffles, Italian pasta.

Carolyn

Hi, Lyn. Kind of curious why you would wouldn't believe an article we've written as much as a website? While websites are a great resource for info, they often don't reflect the most up-to-date changes. And I believe that Cruise Critic does a pretty good job of getting the facts right!

Carolyn

I would be more inclined too believe what is on the O website than the article

For the most exclusive dining experience at sea, bar none, Privée may be reserved for a single party of up to ten privileged guests per evening. Lavishly decorated with oversized white leather throne chairs, a custom-made one-of-a-kind Lalique crystal table, illuminated by a white Venini glass chandelier, and trimmed in vibrant red and gold hues, Privée transforms every aspect of dining into a sensory experience of pure elation. It is that stunning, as you partake of an absolutely over-the-top seven course Menu Degustation exclusively designed for you by the Executive Chef.

No where does it state only for suite guests

If you are willing to pay the fee I am sure anyone can book it

Maybe FDR will comment

Lyn

I thought the standard cabins were very nice, certainly much, much more spacious than those on the existing Oceania ships (lighter colors, more contemporary furnishings, clever choice of space-saving furniture). I don't have the actual size on me, but they weren't quite the size of luxury "standards" (which would fit Oceania's comment that it's not trying to compete directly with luxury). But what I did find luxurious wsa the bathrooms. In all cabins but some insides, there's a separate shower and tub scenario. Now that's special!

Carolyn

I am very anxious to hear about the size of standard veranda cabins. And, whether they include bathtubs or showers only. I like the Oceania cruises, but miss the bathtubs and a bit larger cabin size that exist on some ships. Let us hear all about the new Marina. Thanks.....

I believe the first question's been answered (thanks for that!). The second: Oceania has typically sourced its crew from a variety of countries and I don't see that changing. Only a handful really focus training and recruiting on specific countries (Holland America is one, with many of its crew hailing from Indonesia and the Phillipines). In most cases, most lines draw from all over....

Carolyn

I would like to know if the main dining room will be open for lunch on port days.

I would also like to know the home countries represented among the wait staff in the dining rooms. I enjoy it when there is a variety of countries represented, not a staff which is primarily from one or two countries.

Hi. We were only able to take looks at a standard cabin and a penthouse suite. The standard cabin is the same size as the concierge cabin (a nice 282 square ft.) and includes teak verandah, mini-fridge that's stocked with juice and soda, and other nice touches, like a Tranquility bed (we tested it out :) -- quickly -- and it seemed fine!).

Beyond the big suites, I really really loved the penthouse suites (420 square ft.). These are about the size (perhaps slightly larger) as a standard suite on a luxury liner, and the extra square footage buys you width, so the cabin is not the normal cruise-ship-narrow. I love the living room area (with curtain that pulls all the way across so you can separate sleeping area) with its extra window. Charming.

Interesting, I asked Frank del Rio which cabin was his favorite and he admitted it was the penthouse suite, not the more palatial Oceania, Owners, Vista, etc.

We didn't see an inside cabin but at 172 square ft., wow, that's small. Small for a premium line....

Small for a mass market line's new ships, come to think of it.

Yes, Poss, the concierge cabin is the same size as the standard-with-balcony.

Carolyn

In standard veranda cabins, about how much space is between the foot of the bed and the wall?

Are concierge veranda suites exactly same size as standard veranda? same size bathrooms as well?

Thank you for answering queries.

(First question I was unable to discern from reading brochure. Second question: brochure seems to say that both cabins exactly same size.)

Archived