Where are the rest of the answers?

comcox

Patience is a virtue and Mr Pimentil is still responding

Absolutely delighted his responses are genuine and not corporate speak - even though sometime you may not like the answer you have to recognise that the communications skills are top class

He has answered 13 questions today (so far)

between 4:32pm EST and 5:58pm EST

and he is currently still logged on.

I've read other posts indicating that they believe his location is in California.

That is incorrect...he is in Florida

I have also been pleased with his responses...many of my questions, I didn't expect answers to

right away, but I was happy that maybe my suggestion or question would at least plant a seed

for future analysis.

In looking over the Q & A thread it would appear that Mr. Pimentel only answered a few questions on the 22nd and 23rd but left several other questions unanswered. When will those answers appear?

Hi Comcox !

Mr Pimentel has answered several additional questions today. Please check the Q & A with Mr Pimentel thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=624

Thank you !

So, is it just me or is anyone else wondering why Pimentel is even on this board to answer questions. It seems that he keeps refering to April for the BIG ??? anouncement of new amenities.

I still can't believe,as a past Azamara cruiser, why the need to double the fares for basically the same cruise experience. :confused:

So, is it just me or is anyone else wondering why Pimentel is even on this board to answer questions. It seems that he keeps refering to April for the BIG ??? anouncement of new amenities.

I still can't believe,as a past Azamara cruiser, why the need to double the fares for basically the same cruise experience. :confused:

Because they have not turned a profit.

I am with you on this one...he has really worked hard to get all the questions...well, not all:p addressed, but the responses are canned. I read two responses that were identical. And in reference to the locking of threads...the censorship is out of control here. but, he did seem to get everything atleast checked off by the end of the week.:)

I've read Mr. Pimentel's responses, and feel that he has answered the questions in a professional and courteous manner. There is a limit as to how much information he can share with us, but for the most part I think he has acknowledged people's concerns, addressed what he is able to and is giving consideration to suggestions for changes that had not previously been considered.

Although Azamara's cruise fares have gone up, they haven't doubled. Many of us have benefitted from low fares while Azamara was becoming established and it was a nice bonus. To expect those low fares to continue is unrealistic.

I really liked that he did seem to like a few of the suggestions and forwarded them upwards...that impressed me. I especially liked the suggestion for the casual dining outdoor area...there are too few tables and apparently it is a serious issue. Great suggestion to that poster!

Personally, I'm pleased

I look at this as we were able to get our questions and concerns read by the CEO of the company

We might not like the answer, but we had the opportunity to be heard. It also plants the seed in the back of his mind of something he might never have considered

In the future, there might be a change based on the fact that Larry opened himself up to this experience..

or not..but at least you know that what you had to say was read by him.

I do a lot of focus groups and this is exactly how it goes ...

but usually the powers that be hide behind a 2 way mirror because they are too wimpy to handle any negativity head on.

I've read Mr. Pimentel's responses, and feel that he has answered the questions in a professional and courteous manner. There is a limit as to how much information he can share with us, but for the most part I think he has acknowledged people's concerns, addressed what he is able to and is giving consideration to suggestions for changes that had not previously been considered.

Although Azamara's cruise fares have gone up, they haven't doubled. Many of us have benefitted from low fares while Azamara was becoming established and it was a nice bonus. To expect those low fares to continue is unrealistic.

Hi Susan !

Well said. I agree that it's unrealistic to expect Mr Pimentel to share everything. There is another factor to consider. Competition is huge, and I have to believe that most Cruise lines (especially their peers) are watching each other carefully. From a strategical standpoint, it clearly would not be in Azamara's best interest to show their entire poker hand - so to speak.

There's no argument that fares have gone up..... but to the person who said they have "doubled", that's certainly not the case. I check prices almost daily. From what I am observing, they've gone up roughly 20-25%, since the announcement of the new amenities, and pricing schedule. I also appreciated the fact, that Azamara gave us a "heads-up" on the price increase, so there was an opportunity to book at the lower prices. While none of us like to see price increases, I agree that it's unreasonable to have expected them to stay so low, indefinitely. On another note, a few days ago, Carnival said they are raising prices aprox. 5%. Will this be the beginning of a new trend to be followed by other lines ?, or, a 1 time event ? Only time will tell.... but it certainly bears watching.

I am all but certain we will be hearing from Azamara over the next several weeks, particularly about Le Club Voyage, and 2011/2012 itineraries. I remain hopeful, we will be pleased with the new items, and itineraries that Azamara is planning. Stay Tuned !

Susan, you were right. Azamara is nothing like Celebrity. We were on Quest and it was our best cruise ever (We are not comparing to expedition ships such as in Galapagos or Antarctica).

Btw, for many the fares have indeed doubled. Quite a number of people have paid under $2K pp (with gratuities included) and fares for the same staterooms running $3,600 to $3,999.00 and up.

Susan, you were right. Azamara is nothing like Celebrity. We were on Quest and it was our best cruise ever (We are not comparing to expedition ships such as in Galapagos or Antarctica).

Btw, for many the fares have indeed doubled. Quite a number of people have paid under $2K pp (with gratuities included) and fares for the same staterooms running $3,600 to $3,999.00 and up.

Great to hear that you enjoyed your cruise so much!

If Azamara needs to increase prices to remain viable, I would rather see that than have them 'throw in the towel', as I would like them to still be there when we choose our next cruise. I do see fares that appear to be up ~%50, but I'm curious as to which itineraries have doubled in price ... are they ones that are coming up soon?

Pls. remind me who you did your Antarctic cruise with ... it's on our list of things to do, hopefully within the next couple of years, and we're considering Quark. Thanks.

Pls. remind me who you did your Antarctic cruise with ... it's on our list of things to do, hopefully within the next couple of years, and we're considering Quark. Thanks.

We went with Abercrombie and Kent. This was on Swan Hellenic's Minerva. They are using a different ship this year. You should definitely check out A & K and whomever they are using. It was a real first class operation to the point that going with SilverSea on PAII to the Arctic was no where near the first class experiance we had with A&K. At the time, those for Europe and Australia booked through Swan and those from North America had to go through A & K which is how I found about them. At the time we booked Antarctica, PAII and the Fram were not there, so looking for options to avoid a Russian ship requiring the wiring of money. Quark is supposed to be first class too.

Btw, Captain Carl currently on Azamara Quest has been the Captain on Minerva in the past.

I do see fares that appear to be up ~%50, but I'm curious as to which itineraries have doubled in price ... are they ones that are coming up soon?

Well, Southeast Asia definitely. The ones in Europe look really steep too.

Well the price of our Sept. 2010 Med. cruise has gone from $2000. to $4500, in less than 4 months. How can this not show a doubling in price and for that we will get free??? laundry worth about $5. in quarters and a few glasses of wine for which we are non-drinkers.

As a business owner I certainly don't begrudge Azamara making a profit but that does seem to be an exorbitant price increase!

The ships are lovely and the staff wonderful but it's gonna be hard justifing paying such prices for future cruises.

BTW we are not new at this, 25+ cruises on 6 lines.

I am very grateful to Mr Pimentel for giving up his valuable time to answer questions from his present and potential future passengers.

If I were the CEO of a cruise line, I would myself, or delegate an underling to, keep tabs on such websites as Cruise Critic on a daily basis. One would find more focussed comment here than in any "focus group" survey of on-board standards, and it's free!

I'm afraid most of his answers were "corporate speak", and if he thinks that the use of a free laundromat will encourage me to book again with Azamara, he is mistaken. I travel the world with plenty of change in quarters!

Whilst I just send stuff to the cleaners, Her Loveliness will not permit any laundry to do her "smalls", and so we do find that the washeteria becomes something of a social centre on longer voyages.

We were on Legend of the Seas in December, and we had free drinks in the Champagne bar every night, cocktails with the Hotel Director, Staff Captain, dining on the Captain's Table (Chief Engineer), and loads of other perks with our Diamond status.

Would definitely sail with RCCL again. Looking forward to our first voyage with Azamara in June to see if it cuts the mustard.

Well the price of our Sept. 2010 Med. cruise has gone from $2000. to $4500, in less than 4 months. How can this not show a doubling in price and for that we will get free??? laundry worth about $5. in quarters and a few glasses of wine for which we are non-drinkers.

As a business owner I certainly don't begrudge Azamara making a profit but that does seem to be an exorbitant price increase!

The ships are lovely and the staff wonderful but it's gonna be hard justifing paying such prices for future cruises.

BTW we are not new at this, 25+ cruises on 6 lines.

It sounds like you got a great deal, and therefore will be getting good value on this cruise (I'm assuming that you didn't pay the 'doubled price'?) Hopefully we can still benefit somewhat by booking early.

I just finished reading the rest of the answers, well there is one left to go..... I think Larry is getting bored, cause they "are canned" as someone else mentioned.

Certainly gives me an insight into how Corporate Mentality is the same everywhere.

I still am looking forward to my Cruise in December though.

It was nice to have the opportunity to ask questions but I don't understand the answer to mine. On our 2 leg, 27 night B2B cruises in January/February, 2011 (Sea of Cortez and Panama Transit), how much should our B2B discount be?

We are very excited about the new cruises on Journey with friends that we met on Journey last year and appreciate having the new perks at the old prices. We sailed twice on Journey last year and had a problem on the first cruise in February. I emailed the facts to Celebrity CEO Dan Hanrahan who personally responded to me and had his staff solve the problem. When we sailed on Journey in April from Barcelona to Venice everything was perfect. Mr. Hanrahan takes a hands on approach in dealing with problems. We will see how Azamara operates under Larry Pimentel. I hope for the best and feel that Azamara is still searching for a profitable niche market.

At the old prices we felt that Azamara was the perfect fit for us. We love the size and ambiance of the R-ships and our on-board experiences with Journey. We do not fit the profile of youngish and wealthy but we are well educated, love to travel and manage our finances so that we can afford about four holidays per year. If Azamara prices approach Oceania's, then Oceania wins hands down. They are the class act in terms of service. The CEO of Oceania (F.D.R.) personally responded to some of the posts on the Oceania CC thread. Obviously someone on his staff monitors the boards for him.

If we are priced off of the R-ships, we will still find happiness sailing on Celebrity and HAL and perhaps with Princess. Celebrity has exceeded our expectations for good service on nice ships. We will avoid the mega-ships.

Happy cruising, Bill

I just finished reading the rest of the answers, well there is one left to go..... I think Larry is getting bored, cause they "are canned" as someone else mentioned.

Certainly gives me an insight into how Corporate Mentality is the same everywhere.

I still am looking forward to my Cruise in December though.

You speak of 'corporate mentality', but I have to say that the mentality of some posters leaves a lot to be desired from what I've read on both this forum and the Q & A forum. Not only are the expectations high for a wonderful cruise experience, delicious food, great service, unique shore excursions, loyalty rewards, low fares, etc. ...but the expectations are also high for the perfect answer from Mr. Pimentel. Could we cut him just a bit of slack?

Susan-M, with all due respect, I think that you may be coming across as a little harsh. I think that everyone would certainly agree that it was very generous of Mr. Plimentel to spend some of his valuable time here on the Cruise Critic Boards. I, for one, hope that he will continue to read our posts and to respond to them as he has time and feels that it is appropriate.

However, given the degree of "hype" with which his appearance was promoted, I think that many people ( myself included) had hoped that there would be new information offered as opposed to essentially repeating what had been said in Azamara's original announcement of the Rebranding. I am not being critical of what was said and how questions were answered, there may well be very sound business reasons for not supplying new information prematurely and clearly that's where Mr. Plimentel's responsibilities lie. However, and for whatever reason, very little new and specific information was supplied and I think that there is some disappointment as a result. No bad guy here, just the way it is.

I think that I agree with Bill's point that there certainly are corporate cultural differences between organizations and usually, at least in the short term, corporate culture often reflects the people who make the managing decisions, I would expect that Mr. Plimentel's style to be different from Mr. Hanrahan's, and would not concerned by that. What really count's is how effective a manager is and we will have wait and see how that goes. In the meantime, those of us who consider themselves part of the Azamara Family, should be in Mr. Plimentel's corner wishing him every success. This is not to say that neither he nor his decisions nor Azamara are or should be above criticism; it is to say that criticism should be intended to make Azamara a better experience for us all.

Mr. Plimentel apprears to set great store by focus groups and their input. Cruise Critic is one of the best focus groups that there is, in my opinion, and I hope that he will continue to participate here: he will get feedback all across the board, from the totally useless to ideas of great value for his consideration. By and large, the Participants on the Azamra Boards are well educated, erudite, value aware, and experienced cruisers. They appreciate when things are done well, and they can often analyze failures and derive solutions, from a different viewpoint than a management team. These people will not always be right, but their opinions do deserve consideration as valuable input to management. So please, Mr. Plimentel, continue to join us here, the give and take should be worth your time.

Archived