Helsinki port info

sddsddean

On the Eclipse in July and she docks at LMA in Helsinki (west side of Western Docks). Is it easy to walk up the road out of the port area to get the tram up by Ruoholahti? Not bothered by the distance (about 3/4 mile), but read somewhere that you have to use a shuttle bus...can't walk 'on your own'.

Simon

The Star Princess will also dock at West Harbor, Berth Munkkisaari Quay, (LMC) (Hernesaari) terminal on TUESDAY 8/3. What is the best way from ship into town? or to the nearst trolley (Telakkakatu) or (Perämiehenkatu)?

On the Eclipse in July and she docks at LMA in Helsinki (west side of Western Docks). Is it easy to walk up the road out of the port area to get the tram up by Ruoholahti? Not bothered by the distance (about 3/4 mile), but read somewhere that you have to use a shuttle bus...can't walk 'on your own'.

Simon

Things are rather messy there right now. The big container harbour has been removed and its meant to be replaced with a new residential area. I don't even know where the gates are or will be anymore .

Genie, are you sure? I ask because I just booked Princess Star (for another sailing) and on the schedule on the link Ultima posted it looks like she docks at LHC. From the map it looks like it might be walkable to the center of the city.

I just started researching the trip and my first order of business has been figuring out where we dock and how to get to town.

There's a shuttle?

Not from the City's side but most cruise lines seem to organize their own temporary shuttle service by renting buses. The problem as I understand it is that they are highly overpriced so people on this board are looking for more economic alternatives.

Sorry, have some idea I might have used a wrong English expression in the rush.

Just to be sure not to be misundertood. I'll reformulate it like this:

"Not from the City's side but most cruise lines seem to organize their own temporary shuttle service by using local buses."

Genie, are you sure? I ask because I just booked Princess Star (for another sailing) and on the schedule on the link Ultima posted it looks like she docks at LHC. From the map it looks like it might be walkable to the center of the city.

I just started researching the trip and my first order of business has been figuring out where we dock and how to get to town.

See: http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/default.asp?docId=13051

LHC is West Harbor Berth Munkkisaari Quay (Hernesaari) terminal South end of town. See the map (click the thumbnail below) copied from the link above.

risteilykartta.jpg.92888024dc911ef8256da28adbd2e63b.jpg

See: http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/default.asp?docId=13051

LHC is West Harbor Berth Munkkisaari Quay (Hernesaari) terminal South end of town. See the map copied from the link above.

That's going to be a long walk to the center of town! That's why I asked "What is the best way from ship into town? or to the nearst trolley (Telakkakatu) or (Perämiehenkatu)? "

Route planner for Helsinki transport shows walking distance from the trolley stop near LHC to one near the center of town (I chose August 3rd, 2010):

http://www.reittiopas.fi/en/?from=Docksgaten&to=Aleksanterinkatu&hour=10&minute=00&timetype=departure&day=3&month=8&year=2010

is 2.3 Kilometers and 33 minutes one-way walking. Choose another contemporary date (like today between the Docksgaten and Aleksanterinkatu trolley stops) and you'll get a few trolley and/or bus options.

or can pick any From / To Helsinki destinations (even select from the map) at this site and get several public transportation routes calculated for you:

http://www.hsl.fi/EN/Pages/default.aspx

Thank you again. Does this mean you can only use the shuttle one-way from the ship to the city but not back from the city to the ship?

No. In the afternoon busses use to line up in downtown, usually at the easy to find place in front of the Swedish theatre, to take tourists back to the ships. And some Cruise ships seem to have a some kind of bus service all day long.

http://maps.google.fi/?ie=UTF8&ll=60.167208,24.942763&spn=0,359.96702&z=16&layer=c&cbll=60.167131,24.942861&panoid=ayuwvs86WMGnvRlA0QPO5Q&cbp=12,337.05,,0,5

Ok, a few things to note for those who for some reason DO plan to walk from the ship, especially those planning to walk to a tram stop.

A former railway line is blocking the access from the harbour area to the city area as can be seen on this picture.That might not be clear from seeing just a map:

http://maps.google.fi/?ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=60.156881,24.933899&panoid=OWr-N3v1efeZPLrnuk_wfQ&cbp=12,118.89,,0,5&ll=60.157557,24.935768&spn=0,359.96702&z=16

You should go to this corner to clear that hinder.

http://maps.google.fi/?ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=60.157632,24.93324&panoid=UQZ6Q49HYu_V3zWGIAsqoQ&cbp=12,49.51,,0,1.37&ll=60.157611,24.933043&spn=0,359.868078&z=14

If you pan around the picture you'll see it is at the entry of the dock yard.

There is a stop for tram #1A a bit further on (where the blue bus is on the picture) but NOTE! Tram #1A is a morning route of tram #1 meant for the dock yard workers etc so #1A will NOT run between 9.14 am and 2.55 pm !

Time table:

http://aikataulut.ytv.fi/linjat/en/h1_1a.html

Nearest stop for tram #3B is near the yellow house to the right of the church tower in the background, five blocks away.

You can also turn to the left and follow the harbour five blocks to the Boulevard and where you'll find tram #6.

From the corner mentioned there is no place to cross the former railroad until here:

http://maps.google.fi/?ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=60.154477,24.940119&panoid=jmjFNzV_0mwY3g8UynQz7A&cbp=12,13.23,,0,5&ll=60.155827,24.937291&spn=0,359.98351&z=17

This is for Ultima Thule (sorry to hijack your post Simon). Our cruise on the Eclipse will dock in Helsinki on Thursday, May 13th. Someone on our thread posted that this is a national holiday and everything will be closed. Do you know what exactly is closed and what is opened? Thanks for your help!

Our cruise on the Eclipse will dock in Helsinki on Thursday, May 13th. Someone on our thread posted that this is a national holiday and everything will be closed. Do you know what exactly is closed and what is opened?

Sorry to say I have to confirm that May 13th is Ascension Day and as its a major holiday you must be prepered that many (most?) things are indeed closed even if I cannot give an exact list what will be and what will be not.

Sorry to say I have to confirm that May 13th is Ascension Day and as its a major holiday you must be prepered that many (most?) things are indeed closed even if I cannot give an exact list what will be and what will be not.

Do you know if the buses/trams will be running so that we can see the tourist sights? Cafes or restaurants? Thanks for your help!

Do you know if the buses/trams will be running so that we can see the tourist sights? Cafes or restaurants? Thanks for your help!

After I have done some checks things looks brighter. Guess my first reply was too pessimistic.

Yes, local traffic will definitely be running, following Sunday time tables.

Seems like at least some of the cafes/restaurants are open too, also following Sunday opening times and sights and museums seems to be ok as well.

There are new Finnish laws this year regarding stores and shops, giving them considerable more free hands so select when to keep open. Not sure what law says about Ascension day and if positive, what stores will use the opportunity.

Archived