When is the February School Breaks in 2011?

Skeetercat

Just wondering if anyone could share when the winter breaks next February are for various schools in the U.S.?? We are looking to cruise next February, and would like to avoid large number of children onboard. We have young children ourselves, but want to ensure they don't get lost in the crowd.

Thanks.

President's Day 2011 is Monday, February 21st. So the week of Saturday the 19th to Saturday the 26th most likely would have more children on board than other weeks in February. But also remember that many parents take their kids out of school whenever they can get the cheapest rates (and probably create big headaches for their poor teachers who have to plan a week of work for those kids missing school), but that's a completely different issue to discuss/debate.

But yes, President's Day is Monday, February 21, 2011, and that is usually the week some kids in America have off school, (and pretty much ALL of them will have off Monday the 21st).

You're best bet might be to plan your trip the very 1st week in February, or the very last week (which in all reality is the 1st week in March)

Enjoy!

From my experience in education, most schools do not have February break other than a day or two corresponding with Presidents Day.

They didn't used to, but most districts have a week in Feb off now. Our district calls it a mid-winter break.

Next year kids will be out here the week of 21 Feb, but this varies by school district.

In the province of Quebec, it's usually the last week of feb for most high schools, and the first or second week of march for grade schools (all depends on the school boards of course so your mileage may vary)

Pat

Most of the NY Metro area has winter break during Presiden't Week each year. That means airfare to anywhere warm from NY is very expensive that week. If you want to avoid school breaks I would recommend going the first week in February, unlikely many schools would be off that week.

They didn't used to, but most districts have a week in Feb off now. Our district calls it a mid-winter break.

Next year kids will be out here the week of 21 Feb, but this varies by school district.

Interesting. It appears to be a regional thing - from the posts here it seems to be common in parts of the Northeast US (and possibly Northwest) and perhaps in Canada. It's not common in the Southern US.

With the rise in homeschooling today, cruisers are likely to encounter children just about any time of the year.

It depends where you live. In the Midwest, most school districts have off only Martin Luther King, Jr day in January and President's Day in February. No full week off for President's day.

I know in southern WA (state not DC) there is no break in february, Spring Break is usually in March or April.

Now, here in Pasco county FL (because it does vary by school district and I've noticed many of the school districts cover the whole county they are in) DD will have her Christmas/Winter break the end of Dec and beginning of Jan (she goes back Jan 10, 2011) and then just one day off for each holiday in Jan and February. I believe Spring Break is the between the end of March and beginning of April next year (this year it's the first full week of April).

I would say that March and April are probably not the best months if you don't want kids, because I've noticed that flights into and out of FL tend to be more expensive during those months.

I would think the beginning of February would help miss some of the kids.

Here in the second largest school district in the country (LAUSD), only one day off for President's Day. The spring break here is the week leading up to Easter.

IMO, I would rather be more concerned with college students. Their spring breaks are staggered among two months.

IMO' date=' I would rather be more concerned with college students. Their spring breaks are staggered among two months.[/quote']

I always make sure to check the date of Easter before I start planning our next trip. My theory is that if we do our vacation after the week after Easter, but before mid-May, we're more likely to have fewer kids onboard. So far it's worked pretty well.

In California, Arizona & Colorado there are year round school, so they may have breaks in February. I believe all of the UC and State colleges in California are in school for Spring Session (Feb - May). I agree with the poster that said parents will just pull their kids out of school for the cheaper fare but I don't think enough would, that you should be concerned.

From my experience in education, most schools do not have February break other than a day or two corresponding with Presidents Day.

Actually I work for a school system in Louisiana and I can tell you from "my experience" that school systems in Lafayette and New Orleans shuts down for a week. Most people, in this area, plan their cruises around this time just to get out-of-town and away from the madness.

FYI - Mardi Gras is the week of March 6th next year, 2011. I know because I already booked my cruise on RCL's Voyager of the Seas.

Here in New England, most high schools have the entire week of President's Day off - President's day through that Friday. Many of the elementary and middle schools close only for a few days around President's Day - maybe that Monday through Wednesday.

Despite the fact that only a handful of states seem to have this February school break, cruise ships can be crowded during that week and the prices definitely go way up. You should be able to determine school break weeks by scanning the cruise ships' price schedules!!

Archived