Sea Sickness Remedies ??

There is another natural remedy for nausea, unfortunately, it's currently illegal unless you get a "medical license" for it. :D

LOL....your response took me right back to my teenage years back in the 60's....;):D

Most definately ginger root. We are a family of 4 and at different times each of us has felt queesy. The ginger is something that has helped each of us with NO side effects.

We even use it now at home if we have a touch of the grum bellies and it works like a charm.

Walgreens, health food stores, Giant Eagle grocery chain are a few in our area that carry them.

Good luck!

Tigers2425

I would not go on a cruise without my Ginger pills. I take 2 every morning and 2 more before dinner. I also start out taking them a day before we get on the ship. They have always worked for me...and I am prone to seasickness.

I'm real prone to getting sleepy with most things, so ginger capsules work great for me. They do work when you start feeling sick - as well as ginger ale. On my first cruise I took a couple morn and night before we left, then the first day or two just as a preventive. Seemed to work - but who knows for sure. Took them just one time on this last cruise and didn't take them beforehand.

I got mine at the health food store.

Keep them at home for those times too. Works great with no side effects.

There are so many threads about seasickness, but as someone who is prone, I take Bonine or Less Drowsy Dramamine and ginger twice a day. It works great, unless the seas are in a particular motion. Last year on Carnival Miracle out of NY, I was nauseous the first evening and one morning, but it was due to the fact we were in a gale the first day (tail end of storm front). Other than our first cruise, this was the first time I've felt that bad.

I use a combination of Ginger (capsules and candied) and reliefbands. These are not pressure bands like sea bands, they send an electrical pulse up one of the major nerves in your arm (same as the acupuncture p6 meridian IIRC). I had a prescription one from when I was sick while pregnant (for 7.5 months)--they are used a lot for that and for chemotherapy related nausea. Takes a little getting used to (especially if it gets in just the right place and causes an involuntary contraction of the muscles controling your thumb evert few seconds, LOL). I don't travel without them and now my Mom who is really prone to motion sickness swears by them too. You only wear it on one wrist and it just looks like a kind of clunky watch.

Does meclazine make you tired? Also, when and how many times a day to you take it?

One meclazine (Bonine) does not makes me tired, however, others have said that it does. One way to get around that is to take every night before you go to sleep....;) As long as you take it once a day, it really shouldn't matter when you take it.

Karen----who will be starting Bonine in just a few days....:D

Does meclazine make you tired? Also, when and how many times a day to you take it?

Doesn't make me tired, even when I drink. I take it in the morning and in the evening and also take a ginger capsule with it. I bought ginger candy to take this time, although I can barely tolerate eating the entire piece so I'll probably save it for "if" I feel nauseous at all.

We like the candied ginger also. We get it in the Asian section of our grocery store. I was a hero to have it for a lady on our St Maartin sailing excursion when she became ill.:p

I'm with you on this one. Candied ginger is the best.

If you're on a cruise line with a sushi bar, you can always get some pickled (sushi) ginger on board too!

I feared cruising due to my severe fear of getting seasick. I took a chance last May and took the transderm patch. Only experienced a bit of blurry vision while reading. Never seasick. Loved it so much, we took another cruise in Oct and used the patch again. No problems. Our young daughter and my husband used bonine. All were used as precautions, we never had rough seas. I am no longer scared....have 3 cruises planned for this year!

Archived