NY Brooklyn Cruise Term to Amtrak

paul8

I'm taking a 14 day cruise on the Crown Princess from Shouthampton to the Brooklyn Cruise Term and would like info on the distance from there to the Amtrak station via taxi and bus. Also would like to know hotels in the Amtrak station area and if the station is in a safe area.

Amtrak leaves from Penn Station New York which is between 31st and 33rd Streets and 7th and 8th Ave. in Manhattan. A cab from the Brooklyn cruise terminal will be about $35. The area is safe, but the hotels in the immediate area are not the nicest. What is your NY hotel budget? How many people and how many nights? What are your exact dates? Would you consider bidding for a room on Priceline or Hotwire?

I'm taking a 14 day cruise on the Crown Princess from Shouthampton to the Brooklyn Cruise Term and would like info on the distance from there to the Amtrak station via taxi and bus. Also would like to know hotels in the Amtrak station area and if the station is in a safe area.

Paul,

The Affinia Manhattan Hotel is very nice and convenient to Penn Station. It is just around the corner on 31rst Street.

Have a great voyage.

Jonathan

Amtrak leaves from Penn Station New York which is between 31st and 33rd Streets and 7th and 8th Ave. in Manhattan. A cab from the Brooklyn cruise terminal will be about $35. The area is safe, but the hotels in the immediate area are not the nicest. What is your NY hotel budget? How many people and how many nights? What are your exact dates? Would you consider bidding for a room on Priceline or Hotwire?

I do not have a NY hotel budget, probably about $100, a hotel like ramada or days inn or something similiar. One person. Probably about 2 nights. Would consider bidding for a room. Friday Sept 17, Sat Sept 18.

Quite frankly all $100 is going to buy you in NYC is a hostel. Is that what you were thinking of?

The price of the hotel is minor, for hotels I'm thinking along the lines of Ramada Inn, Days Inn - something like those. A nice hotel but not the best and certainly not the worst.

Are you looking at any touring in "NYC"? Manhattan is very easy to get aound by cab to Penn Station, you may want to stay where your touring interests are? If you are just looking for getting off the cruise, then a hotel prior to leaving, then staying in Brooklyn may be a cheaper option?

You might want to triple your hotel budget, depending on what timeframe you are looking at.

There is a Holiday Inn on 26th Street between 6th and 7th, which is around 5 blocks from Penn Station. There is also a Raddison on West 32nd, which is around 2 1/2 blocks from Penn Station. For NYC standards they are both pretty good deals $$ wise. Also you can sometimes get a good deal at the Affinia that another poster mentioned. Which is the closest to the train station.

Good luck

Are you looking at any touring in "NYC"? Manhattan is very easy to get aound by cab to Penn Station, you may want to stay where your touring interests are? If you are just looking for getting off the cruise, then a hotel prior to leaving, then staying in Brooklyn may be a cheaper option?

You might want to triple your hotel budget, depending on what timeframe you are looking at.

Holiday Inn, Radisson, Days Inn, Ramada etc., these are ok

Holiday Inn, Radisson, Days Inn, Ramada etc., these are ok

Paul,

Here is a pretty good alternative:

If I'm reading your cruise correctly, you are coming to NYC March 17th?

Hotwire has a Four Star **** Hotel listed at that time for $157 + tax -- it's in lower Manhattan (SoHo), very close to stuff and the cruise port in Brooklyn.

I'm 90% sure it's the Millennium Hilton.

Great price, for a great location in NYC.

Good Luck!

Kel:)

A search of Kayak.com shows Club Quarters midtown (40 W 45th) 3* for 9/17-18 for $159 ($188 incl taxes). This is an internet only rate through hotelclub. You can cancel the reservation up to 72 hours ahead for a $15 fee. This hotel is a no frills business travel hotel that specializes in offering clean comfortable basic rooms. Rooms are often small (typical for NY). It is not a full service hotel - no bellmen, concierge, restaurant. etc. Usually not much staff around - you do an automated check in with your credit card. However, the location is superb - 1/2 block from 5th Ave, close to Rockefeller Center, Times Square, and the subway. The rate for this hotel directly is $319 and IMO it is a good choice for a single traveler.

I'm not seeing anything on Hotwire that comes close to this hotel for your dates. Remember that Sep-Oct is peak season in NY, so you may want to consider this now. It's an internet special, so it could disappear.

Paul,

Here is a pretty good alternative:

If I'm reading your cruise correctly, you are coming to NYC March 17th?

Hotwire has a Four Star **** Hotel listed at that time for $157 + tax -- it's in lower Manhattan (SoHo), very close to stuff and the cruise port in Brooklyn.

I'm 90% sure it's the Millennium Hilton.

Great price, for a great location in NYC.

Good Luck!

Kel:)

But it is not close to Penn Station

Public transportation from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal into Manhattan is reasonable if you're used to using buses for such travel. In such case it would be fabulous to have a MetroCard in hand in advance for it would save a little money, but if not you can pay the bus on board (in which case you'll need $2.25 all in U.S. coins).

From the cruise terminal building turn left and walk straight along the main roadway. Walk through the pedestrian gate in the fence and you'll be on Pioneer Street. Walk another two blocks to Van Brunt Street, and on the northeast corner is a bus stop for route B61. Board the bus there and ride to the last stop, Smith St at Livingston St. There are several subway stations in close proximity to this bus terminal, and depending on the hotel that you eventually choose it is likely that one of these stations will have a train that goes directly to the station near that hotel. The stations that are nearby are Jay St-Borough Hall (A, C, and F trains), Hoyt Street (2 and 3 trains), Borough Hall (4 and 5 trains), and Lawrence Street (M and R trains).

As for hotel, the suggested budget of $100 for an Days Inn-type hotel is probably one-half the rate that you will need to budget, unless you're looking to book a less reputable hotel.

Archived