Capt. Demetrios Kafetzis-best entertainment onboard Solstice

jakedoc

It's a sad comment on the quality of Celebrity entertainment when the master is funnier than the paid entertainers.

Although I must admit that the "late night" comedy shows on Solstice and Equinox in Celebrity Central were quite good, actually (last December). Of course, these shows were a bit "spicier".;)

We'd done over 50 cruises and for the first cruise ever actually looked forward to the noon announcements. I agree that his introduction of officers was hilarious - better than the late night comedian! Hope we see him on another Celebrity ship (we'll be on Connie in November).

Cote d'or - I do think you misinterpreted my meaning when I wrote that he was being very proud of being Greek. I agree that he should be proud and that he incoporated being Greek in a lot of his jokes. If you remember his introductions of his staff, he would say their name, their occupation and then "Greek" or "not Greek". I was not being disrespectful at all. As you , (presuming you're Belgian-my wife is very proud of her Belgian ancestry), I'm proud of my heritage ( French Canadian and Norweigan)=American.

Cote d'or - I do think you misinterpreted my meaning when I wrote that he was being very proud of being Greek. I agree that he should be proud and that he incoporated being Greek in a lot of his jokes. If you remember his introductions of his staff, he would say their name, their occupation and then "Greek" or "not Greek". I was not being disrespectful at all. As you , (presuming you're Belgian-my wife is very proud of her Belgian ancestry), I'm proud of my heritage ( French Canadian and Norweigan)=American.

Yes, I'm Belgian and yes, apparently I misinterpreted your words.;) Thank God we still have these smileys to give some interpretation to our posts.:D

• 7 years later...

Just a little update on Captain Demetrios Kafetzis. We were lucky enough to sail with him on back-to-back Mediterranean cruises on the Reflection last October (2017), which included the Greek Isles (and I think that being "at home" really brought out the best in him). We absolutely ADORED him; he's like no other cruise captain I've ever met. Wonderful sense of humor - he even made the navigational talk fun! The crew told us he had just joined the Reflection prior to our sailing in late Sept. 2017, and following the repositioning cruise which was to take place over New Year's (and is probably ending in Florida just about now), he told us he would be leaving thr Reflection again in January. That seems like an abnormally short stint to me for a Captain, but perhaps his presence was needed in Miami for those dreaded "meetings" he spoke of ... ;)

We would love to cruise with Cpt. Demetrios again - in fact, I'd probably take a cruise just because he was on it, if there was any way to find out in advance where he's going to be. He even gave my mom and me a dinner "on the Captain's Club" in one of the specialty restaurants - although, in retrospect, I'd much rather have dined at his table. Not sure what's required to be able to get oneself a chair at the Captain's table...

Cpt. Demetrios really should have his own thread here on CC, if that's allowed, to track his passages and show where he is currently cruising (after his current Reflection stint). I'm sure we're not the only ones who would take a cruise solely to see him again. I may just start such a thread, if it doesn't exist already! I saw his name mentioned several times in an old "Who's on Board" thread, but unfortunately, the thread is locked. :(

Was anyone else on that Mediterranean Reflection cruise?

Just a little update on Captain Demetrios Kafetzis. We were lucky enough to sail with him on back-to-back Mediterranean cruises on the Reflection last October (2017), which included the Greek Isles (and I think that being "at home" really brought out the best in him). We absolutely ADORED him; he's like no other cruise captain I've ever met. Wonderful sense of humor - he even made the navigational talk fun! The crew told us he had just joined the Reflection prior to our sailing in late Sept. 2017, and following the repositioning cruise which was to take place over New Year's (and is probably ending in Florida just about now), he told us he would be leaving thr Reflection again in January. That seems like an abnormally short stint to me for a Captain, but perhaps his presence was needed in Miami for those dreaded "meetings" he spoke of ... ;)

We would love to cruise with Cpt. Demetrios again - in fact, I'd probably take a cruise just because he was on it, if there was any way to find out in advance where he's going to be. He even gave my mom and me a dinner "on the Captain's Club" in one of the specialty restaurants - although, in retrospect, I'd much rather have dined at his table. Not sure what's required to be able to get oneself a chair at the Captain's table...

Cpt. Demetrios really should have his own thread here on CC, if that's allowed, to track his passages and show where he is currently cruising (after his current Reflection stint). I'm sure we're not the only ones who would take a cruise solely to see him again. I may just start such a thread, if it doesn't exist already! I saw his name mentioned several times in an old "Who's on Board" thread, but unfortunately, the thread is locked. :(

You've resurrected an almost 8-year old thread? LOL

The "Who's on Board" thread has a new life -- here" https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2522361

He is going to be captain of the EDGE !

We sailed on Reflection 11/27/17 and he was Master. He was leaving after our cruise disembarked on 12/8/17. I just presumed it was his vacation, but he didn't say. He was definitely amusing and personable. DH and I sailed with him before since we both remembered his "Greek" "Not Greek" way of introducing his senior staff and his signature sign-off from his daily announcements of "Out" but can't remember which cruises.