$2 bills for tips?

I use two dollar bills for tips. It may not be a popular but they work. I have spent them on every cruise and have not had a problem. ;) Everyone one working on the ship knew American currency and the two dollar bill. They would rather one two that one one. In ports not one person complained or even asked about receiving two dollar bills. :) It is also easier to carry twos than double the ones. May be some people would rather have a five as their smallest bill. I do not use dollar coins because they can be confused with a twenty five cent peice. A two dollar bill can't be confused with any thing except a two dollar bill. I know people that carry a two dollar bill folded in their wallet becaue they think they are lucky. Tip as much or little as you feel like. No one would refuse any money you give them. Like the song says “go were you want go do what you want do” and use what ever money you want to. :cool:

...Uh...I personally wouldn't care. They are the same value. Isn't that like saying you'd rather have 2 5's instead of a 10? I didn't realize people thought they were fake, as I grew up with my dad doing this. Thanks for the heads up though, I appreciate it.

I think the $2 is a good Idea, would be eunike and the person receiving it will have no problem changing it at any American port or on the ship. They do not have to take it to the bank to get rid of it, just the pursers desk or what ever desk the crew uses.

I am going to check with the bank here and see about getting $100 in 2's for the trip,

Or a few rolls of $1 coins for the tips.

5's and 10's are different. There are places for those in a cash register. There are no places for 2's. People don't like them, except for 7 year old kids. So, if your steward is a 7 year old kid, he may want them, but no one else does. Do you really enjoy $2 bills in your wallet? How many are in it right now?

5 in my wallet now

Don't tip them in the $2 bills. They can't use them on the ship, and shops in many ports wont accept them.

Don't be a pain in the arse, just tip them in standard demoninations.

The standard denominations is "auto tipping" correct, so that means they get not extra money.

If they wont take the $2.00 official bill from the United States of America

I think the $2 is a good Idea, would be eunike and the person receiving it will have no problem changing it at any American port or on the ship. They do not have to take it to the bank to get rid of it, just the pursers desk or what ever desk the crew uses.

I am going to check with the bank here and see about getting $100 in 2's for the trip,

Or a few rolls of $1 coins for the tips.

While you're at it be sure to get some rolls of pennies. I'm sure they'd be glad to get to carry around hundreds of pennies.

While you're at it be sure to get some rolls of pennies. I'm sure they'd be glad to get to carry around hundreds of pennies.

They'd certainly remember that person! :D

Since when is tipping about the "giver:\"/ ?

Is it wrong to suggest that normal, grown up adults in the US do not normally trade in $2 bills? I think that is a safe assumption. I think it is a safe assumption for normal grown up adults in other countries as well. Game over.

Maybe in the US but lots of other countries have $2 bills or coins in regular circulation.

Try giving a loonie or a toonie to someone living in the states and you will have your answer!!!;) It is real money, but to those south of the Canadian border - it is fools gold! Throw a blue $5 bill in the mix and it gets really interesting:p I suspect workers on the ship will feel the same way about the $2 US bill.

The problem with giving Canadian loonies and toonies in the US is you can't take them to the bank for exchange (you can however take paper money and exchange it - but banks will not exchange foreign coins).

So tipping an American in the US with loonies and toonies (unless they are planning to come to Canada), you really are tipping them in "fools gold" - it's money they can not spend or exchange.

To answer the OP, in addition to the problem with exchanging it with a foreign bank or spending it in foreign countries - the other issue I've heard of is that the $2 bills do not work in vending machines and some of the things that the workers want to buy (such as pop or snacks) are purchased in that manner (not certain if it's true on Carnival ships or if it's another cruise line I'm thinking of).

My dad always loves giving $2 bills for tips. Would this be a problem for the room stewards/porters?

NO ~~!!~~ The crew has a bank (crew purser) where they deposit their cash tips and paychecks, The crew & staff can then send money home or withdraw some for the occasional shore leave and personal expenses on board.

I always take two dollar bills & new "gold" dollars for tips. I have never had one NOT accepted.

I find it hard to believe that there isn't a bank onboard for the crew to deposit their tips - would not be very smart for either the crew or crew management to have folks stashing cash in their cabins.

If this is indeed the case, $2 bills and $1 coins wouldn't be a problem - crew would just deposit them in their onboard bank account.

Anyone know if in fact there is such a banking facility on board?

i have no clue how a cruise staff member feels about getting a $2 bill, but i have to say that it is very annoying to get one while working retail. there is no spot for them in the drawer, so you have to be careful to remember you had it, so as to not have the drawer over/under at night. but this is obviously very different than a staff member. i guess i just dont see why you would do it? whats the point? JMHO

OK......All you people who get $2 bills and don't like them send them my way. They spend just the same as other currency. Also I've never met anyone who thinks they are fake. The only way to make $2 bills a success though is to do as Canada does. Get rid of $1 bills.

I used to use $2 bills and gold dollar coins for tips like room service, porters, and such because they were easier for me to set aside just for tipping and not spend elsewhere during my cruise. The people I gave them to were kind and appreciative because hey - it's a TIP, and how bizarre would it be to complain about someone giving you money?!? :D

I mean what's next? "Sorry, I'm not taking that $5 bill because it's all dirty and wrinkled, and has a torn corner! I accept only crisp new bills!" LOL!

OK......All you people who get $2 bills and don't like them send them my way. They spend just the same as other currency. Also I've never met anyone who thinks they are fake. The only way to make $2 bills a success though is to do as Canada does. Get rid of $1 bills.

We got rid of $2 bills too. :confused:

Forget everything else on this thread. A U.S. $2.00 bill is legal tender, and as such is every bit as valuable as two $1.00 bills. If anyone thinks he or she will have a problem, they can change them on the ship with the purser. My goodness, I can't believe all of the disinformation being distributed as if it is fact.

One $2.00 bill equals two $1.00 bills. Enough said!

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Forget everything else on this thread. A U.S. $2.00 bill is legal tender, and as such is every bit as valuable as two $1.00 bills. If anyone thinks he or she will have a problem, they can change them on the ship with the purser. My goodness, I can't believe all of the disinformation being distributed as if it is fact.

One $2.00 bill equals two $1.00 bills. Enough said!

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

You're right. Make more work for the staff.

Exactly. It'll serve them right for being near America's coastal waters! We'll show those stinkin' foreigners who the boss is.

Why stop there? Bring a jar of pennies. That's legal tender too. :rolleyes:

Why stop there? Bring a jar of pennies. That's legal tender too. :rolleyes:

Indeed. You know those yard cups from Carlos 'n Charlies & Senior Frogs?? yeah, I've got like 5 of those filled with change. I'll just use those to tip...I'll cancel my auto tips and in just hand the steward and waitstaff one of those yard thingies filled with change. It'll be a pot-luck kind of thing on how much they get tipped. What a fun surprise!!!!

I took some on the Sensation in January, and not one person turned them down.

My feeling is that the people receiving them would be gracious, just as they are if someone gave them a candy bar. I think, JMO, is that you think you are doing something unique and clever, but in reality are causing some problems for the receiver.

I know, for a fact, that they would appreciate two $1 bills rather than one $2 as it isn't that easy to spend them. I realize in the US they can be spent, but not all crew people get time off to spend in the US. Many get their time off in foreign ports where they won't be accepted.

Please stick to the regular bills, $1, $5 etc. Give the $2 bills to your kids or grands. Once again, this is my opinion.

Archived