Upgrades - how to do it ?

Rafaella

If cabin assignment is not a priority you may want to consider taking a guarantee when booking. That is when you book a category of cabin on a particular deck with no cabin assigned. At the very least you get the category requested. When passengers make their final payments within a couple of weeks a cabin # will be assigned. For example I am sailing on the Noordam on 3/15 when I booked the cruise through my agent it was about a year out. She told me that with booking that early out and my 3 star mariner status I would have a good chance for an upgrade. I booked VE at that time and was upgraded to VA on the Rotterdam deck. Nice 4 category upgrade! I have done the same for the two cruises already booked for 2011. I have received only 1 upgrade (without asking for one) in my many years of traveling with HAL.

bob

If cabin assignment is not a priority you may want to consider taking a guarantee when booking. That is when you book a category of cabin on a particular deck with no cabin assigned. At the very least you get the category requested. When passengers make their final payments within a couple of weeks a cabin # will be assigned. For example I am sailing on the Noordam on 3/15 when I booked the cruise through my agent it was about a year out. She told me that with booking that early out and my 3 star mariner status I would have a good chance for an upgrade. I booked VE at that time and was upgraded to VA on the Rotterdam deck. Nice 4 category upgrade! I have done the same for the two cruises already booked for 2011. I have received only 1 upgrade (without asking for one) in my many years of traveling with HAL.

bob

I think it was sheer luck that you got upgraded. I generally book my cruises at least a year out. I am also a 3 star mariner (getting close to 4:)). Sometimes I get an upgrade....sometimes not.

The OP could ask if upsells are available (close to sailing). I got one for a good price on my last HAL cruise.

Could, someone, please, tell me how to upgrade the cabin, if available? On arrival, or prior to departure? When and how real is that?
Realistically, the best way to upgrade your cabin is to have your TA book the cabin you want. Upgrading at the pier or after boarding is between extremely slim and none, and if perchance you can, you'll pay top dollar for the difference.

Upgrading is really something that is done TO you not BY you. Why one is upgraded is a mystery but a nice suprise. It my happen prior to the cruise or at the dock. We have only been upgraded once. If you view it this way it will make things a lot easier. :-)

As others have stated you can work with your TA or HAL directly, if you booked directly, to try to get an upsell prior to arriving at the pier. Sometimes these can be good values. For our upcoming cruise they are not at least yet.

lorekauf

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this.This was NOT luck.This was well thought out by me when I booked. First of all in today's economy cruising is a luxuary (IMHO). With the Oasis sailing the Caribean, HAL, Princess and the rest of them do you actually think these ships are sailing full. Of course not! I took a gamble granted but my hunch was right. I have access to the HA online site and I can tell you that every class of cabin was open on 2/1/10. I can tell you that when final payments were do the first week of January HA put cabins categorys on sale hoping to fill them! I can tell you that I have friends that book Verandars well below the asking price because HAL just wanted to fill the cabins. My point...HAL ships are not sailing full.

lorekauf

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this.This was NOT luck.This was well thought out by me when I booked. First of all in today's economy cruising is a luxuary (IMHO). With the Oasis sailing the Caribean, HAL, Princess and the rest of them do you actually think these ships are sailing full. Of course not! I took a gamble granted but my hunch was right. I have access to the HA online site and I can tell you that every class of cabin was open on 2/1/10. I can tell you that when final payments were do the first week of January HA put cabins categorys on sale hoping to fill them! I can tell you that I have friends that book Verandars well below the asking price because HAL just wanted to fill the cabins. My point...HAL ships are not sailing full.

I'm not sure what this has to do with being upgraded. I'm pretty sure NO ship leaves with empty cabins. From what I've heard HAL gives cheap offers to get anyone on board then hopes they spend like crazy.

We too booked at VFguar on the 3-15 Noordam and were assigned a VB on the upper veranda deck. This was our first experience with a guarantee cabin and we are very pleased with the upgrade.

I have to disagree on No empty cabins statement. I have seen plenty empty cabins on HAL before, again, it is cheaper to leave you where you are at vs clean and maintain the up-graded room. I believe what you book, is what you have LOL

Regardless, I am living in 10 days, and the rest just does not matter.

I am looking forward to this wonderful vacation full of great food, service, and lots of Bacardi Drinks :)

I have to disagree on No empty cabins statement. I have seen plenty empty cabins on HAL before,
I've never seen "plenty" of empty cabins, but there's bound to be a few no-shows because of transportation or other last-minute problems.
... again, it is cheaper to leave you where you are at vs clean and maintain the up-graded room.
Why do you think that? The numbers of cabin stewards on-board doesn't vary with the class of cabins that are occupied.

You need to have your TA call HAL and ask about upgrading and what the price will be before you sail.

If there are any cabins available at the port -- HAL will charge top dollar to do an upgrade. No bargains at the pier.

I can speak from experience that is not always the case, so I wanted to correct the fact you made this statement as a definitive.

I think it was sheer luck that you got upgraded. I generally book my cruises at least a year out. I am also a 3 star mariner (getting close to 4:)). Sometimes I get an upgrade....sometimes not.

The OP could ask if upsells are available (close to sailing). I got one for a good price on my last HAL cruise.

And upgrades are random and not based on Mariner status. Not to mention you have to hope the sailing hasn't filled to capacity AND there's a room in a higher category that can hold at least the number of people in your room.

I's not as simple as "I'm a _ Star Mariner, so where's my upgrade?" ;)

I have to disagree on No empty cabins statement. I have seen plenty empty cabins on HAL before

It's possible, but I can tell you on any given week the vast majority and in many cases all of the ships are at capacity.

If the OP would like to hope for an upgrade that's fine. Best thing to do if you wish to leave it to chance is to ask when you get onboard. The Front Office staff has no reason to lie to you about whether the ship is full and at capacity or not.

I've never seen "plenty" of empty cabins, but there's bound to be a few no-shows because of transportation or other last-minute problems.

Why do you think that? The numbers of cabin stewards on-board doesn't vary with the class of cabins that are occupied.

Because if you have upgrades, veranda, extra room, larger room, extra space in the cabin - there is more to clean, and possible less people taking care of it due to the timeframe requiring to clean. May be I am wrong, but I would assume that "extra roomy" cabins need more time/effort. Just a thought? :)

And upgrades are random and not based on Mariner status. Not to mention you have to hope the sailing hasn't filled to capacity AND there's a room in a higher category that can hold at least the number of people in your room.

Don't you think it would be appropriate to consider Mariner status, rather than upgrade people who have never sailed HAL before (which is what seems to happen)?:)

This is what I was saying. The poster I was answering was the one that felt got upgraded because of their Mariner status and because they booked early. As far as I'm concerned it's the luck of the draw. The best upgrade I recieved was on a sailing that was sold out a few months before sailing. The worst upgrade I have received was on a sailing that appered to have a lot of open categories.

My upgrade Experience on HAL and has been good but it is entirely based upon booking a VF balcony guarantee and waiting. (Except for a really nice "upgrade" to an accessible room once when they called and asked me if I would mind the additional room.) Got a bump all the way up to a VA last June on an Eastern Med. cruise. Also got a bump to a mini-suite on Princess for a song under a similar guarantee situation.

Otherwise I have the same experience as others. Ships are almost always full when we cruise because my wife is a teacher and we can only go the last week in March or in summer.

This is what I was saying. The poster I was answering was the one that felt got upgraded because of their Mariner status and because they booked early. As far as I'm concerned it's the luck of the draw. The best upgrade I recieved was on a sailing that was sold out a few months before sailing. The worst upgrade I have received was on a sailing that appered to have a lot of open categories.

I believe I am the poster you are referring to. But I think a clarification is needed here. The original PO asked how to receive an upgrade. My reply was by purchasing a “guarantee” at time of booking. Now I agree with what everyone is saying your chances of receiving or asking for an upgrade at Pier/Dock are slim at best. What I was referring as a time frame was the date final payments are due and receiving an upgrade notice shortly thereafter. So I am talking about a period of say 60 days prior to your sailing date. So why would any cruiser take a “guarantee” for any category if there was no incentive? You say in your post that “it’s the luck of the draw”. Really? I’ll use myself as an example. I book a year out, 3 star mariner status take the “guarantee” with my understanding of what a “guarantee” means to me. Two weeks before final deposits are due Cruiser B with no sailing experience with HA takes out that same “guarantee” . Now this is where I must be missing something. If I am wrong please correct me so I can complain to HAL. IMHO there has to be a pecking order on who receives the upgrade first. I do not care if it’s based on how far out you booked or your mariners status or any other factor. Does HAL give the upgrade first to their repeat customer or does HAL give the upgrade first to the guy who has never sailed with them? You cannot tell me that “it’s the luck of the draw” because if HAL has this policy (luck of the draw) their screwing all there repeat customers and I will cancel my two guarantees on my 2011 cruises.

I believe I am the poster you are referring to. But I think a clarification is needed here. The original PO asked how to receive an upgrade. My reply was by purchasing a “guarantee” at time of booking. Now I agree with what everyone is saying your chances of receiving or asking for an upgrade at Pier/Dock are slim at best. What I was referring as a time frame was the date final payments are due and receiving an upgrade notice shortly thereafter. So I am talking about a period of say 60 days prior to your sailing date. So why would any cruiser take a “guarantee” for any category if there was no incentive? You say in your post that “it’s the luck of the draw”. Really? I’ll use myself as an example. I book a year out, 3 star mariner status take the “guarantee” with my understanding of what a “guarantee” means to me. Two weeks before final deposits are due Cruiser B with no sailing experience with HA takes out that same “guarantee” . Now this is where I must be missing something. If I am wrong please correct me so I can complain to HAL. IMHO there has to be a pecking order on who receives the upgrade first. I do not care if it’s based on how far out you booked or your mariners status or any other factor. Does HAL give the upgrade first to their repeat customer or does HAL give the upgrade first to the guy who has never sailed with them? You cannot tell me that “it’s the luck of the draw” because if HAL has this policy (luck of the draw) their screwing all there repeat customers and I will cancel my two guarantees on my 2011 cruises.

I was concerned on one ship because we had a "forced" guarantee - if you aren't taking the whole Prinsendam cruise around South America, you are not entitled to book a cabin. We were given the absolutely worst cabin in our class, altho' we had been on 7 previous HAL cruises and booked as soon as it was possible. One couple at our dinner table had booked six months later, had less days with HAL, and received a much better cabin. One couple booked three months later, had never sailed with HAL, and received a better cabin yet on an upgrade for them. Perhaps HAL has changed their policies in the last two years - I'd like to think so.

Archived