Rogue waves- how do we prepare for them?

2CoolCanucks

With the news today of the rogue waves affecting the ship in the Mediterranean, how do we as passengers prepare for these type of situations?

This was in the mediterranean and we are planning on doing a transatlantic in May... how often do these things happen?

I agree with the above post.I have been on a smaller cruiseline that was hit by a rogue wave and there was no way to prepare for it...it just came and went,but it sure did some major damage to the bar area,and other assorted area's that were not in the least secured,but all the pax were fine except for those who would complain anyway.

It always pays to be careful and mindful of risk but a rogue wave risk is going to be below losing luggage, missing your flight, catching nora virus, getting sick and missing the cruise all togather, losing or getting your passport stolen.

if this is at the top of your list, better stay home and hope you don't have stairs in your house. :D

With the news today of the rogue waves affecting the ship in the Mediterranean, how do we as passengers prepare for these type of situations?

This was in the mediterranean and we are planning on doing a transatlantic in May... how often do these things happen?

Rogue waves are a combination of so many factors that they are effectively unpredictable. There are, however, parts of the ocean where these types of waves occur more than in others (although they are still rare in general), often do to the combination of terrain and normal wave action patterns. There are also conditions that contribute to the formation of these waves: weather, winds, ocean current, even water temperature are all posited to contribute.

In general, most cruises operate in areas that are not at the highest risk for rogue waves (although, again, they can show up anywhere), or at least, at risk for the biggest recorded examples of rogue waves (usually because cruise ships operate near port cities...and let's face it, port cities would not exist if they were frequent victims of rogue wave activity).

So, here are a few websites that you might find interesting.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/rogue-wave2.htm

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream//ocean/waves.htm

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQK/is_6_9/ai_n7071517/

In general, I stay away from ship railings at night, in higher winds and heavier weather (like, DUH!!!), and I keep my sliding door (on those occasions when I do have a balcony cabin) closed at night or when I am sleeping. And, yes, I have a background in earth science and do think about rogue waves when cruising (generally somewhere between frozen drinks in specialty glasses:D). But, I've been luckier in avoiding rogue waves than I have been in avoiding the dreaded norovirus (but that's another topic...yuck!)

Of course, if you suffer from phobias, don't open these sites ;).

Thanks for the info.

I don't have phobias about this but was just wondering because of our upcoming transatlantic... You know my family has been mentioning "Titanic" under their breath ever since we booked it! lol They say we are crazy. I prefer to think we are adventurous. Calculated risk takers!

Since I haven't heard about these waves affecting cruises in the past, I just wanted to know what we could do to prepare...

Maybe I'll just gain some weight really fast at the smorgasbord so that I'll have some extra padding if the ship starts bouncing on a wave! lol

Anything to justify the extra cruise food pounds!:D

Archived