Princess Crown - Norwegian Fjords/North Cape

drefinnej15

Just reserved our shore excursions for our Norwegian Fjords and North Cape cruise sailing July 5th...So excited!!! :D
If you have the option and haven't done so, do the overland between Geiranger and Hellesylt. Absolutely spectacular and worth the $.

We did this cruise in 2006 on the Sea Princess and it was a wonderful itinerary and cruise. We signed up for it just because some old friends invited us and we loved it! You'll have a great time. One of our shore excursion memories was when our bus broke down on the way to the North Cape and rather than sitting on the bus for an hour we (and about 20 other people) got off and walked to a great tourist trap with reindeer along the way posing for pictures!

309008291_Honnigsvag-NCape(27)a.jpg.0958d2d043005fbb832e7dac4ad7f08d.jpg

If you have the option and haven't done so, do the overland between Geiranger and Hellesylt. Absolutely spectacular and worth the $.

I agree, this is a great shore excurison with spectacular scenery.

Pam,

The excursion you mentioned sounds lke the one taken either from Hellesyt or Geranger called the Best of Geranger Fyiord District. Its an all day tour boarding the bus at Hellesyt and then boarding the ship at Geranger. We are booked on the Iceland/Norway cruise departing London on JUly 29th. Is that the excursion you described? Do you have any more suggestions or anyone else any suggestions for this cruise.? Much appreciated

Sharon

We are on the 7 day Norwegian Interlude July 30 from Dover. Our excursions also have come up. When you select Shore Excursions on the Personalizer, under Hellesylt there is no excursions to view just cruising the fjord for 2 hours. There is only 5 excursions for Geiranger and none for Hellesylt. Do they add more excursions once they made the excursions available.. We would like to do the excursion you have mentioned if available.

One on the excursions is to Mount Daisnibba or Mount Daisnibba & Geiranger Fjord Center for $129 for 3 hours or 4 hours. Anybody do this excursion.

Just reserved our shore excursions for our Norwegian Fjords and North Cape cruise sailing July 5th...So excited!!!

I'm also on the July 5 Crown Princess Norwegian Fjords cruise. Come join our roll call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=964593

Pam and Doug - there are two all-day excursions offered from Hellesylt. Did you book one of these?

Best Of Geirangerfjord District

A scenic drive takes in the natural wonders of the Geirangerfjord District. View the turquoise-colored waters of Stryn Lake. See beautiful Buldrossen Falls and Tystig glacier. Survey the Geirangerfjord from the summit of Mt. Dalsnibba and brave the views from the Flysdaljuvet - the massive rock overhanging the fjord.

WHAT YOU SEE ALONG THE WAY

Board your motorcoach at the pier and cross the Homindal Bridge on the approximately 40 minute drive to Grodås. Continue to Loen, near Jostedalsbreen National Park. Travel to Mt. Dalsnibba before descending the narrow highway to Geirangerfjord, where you rejoin the ship.

Briksdal Glacier & Jostedalsbreen National Park

Explore the Geirangerfjord District on a scenic drive from Hellesylt. Visit Jostedalsbreen National Park, home to the largest ice sheet of Europe's Ice Age. Set out on an approximately 45-minute self-guided walk to the face of massive Briksdal Glacier. Then enjoy a hearty country lunch at the Briksdal Inn.

WHAT YOU SEE ALONG THE WAY

Board your motorcoach at the pier for the approximately two-hour drive to Briksdal. Your route travels past Hellesylt Waterfall and Hornindalsvannet, Europe's deepest lake. Continue along the Nordfjord to Olden before ascending the valley, passing scattered farms, waterfalls and ice fields. After visiting the glacier and the national park center, travel from Stryn to Mt. Dalsnibba, crossing the Jolbrua Bridge and traveling though a series of tunnels. From the mountain overlook, descend the serpentine road to Geiranger, where you rejoin your ship.

I reserved the excursion to Briksdal Glacier because it's an hour longer, covers more area, and I want to get my "glacier fix." :)

For those of you who have done the ship's tour to North Cape - in hindsight, would you book it again?

We did this cruise last summer. It is fabulous. Yes, the excursion to North Cape is worthwhile because otherwise you wouldn't get there. It is too far away to take a cab. We did not do the overland tour. Keep in mind that there is a fabulous sail in that you will miss with magnificent cliffs and waterfalls.

We did this cruise last summer. It is fabulous. Yes, the excursion to North Cape is worthwhile because otherwise you wouldn't get there. It is too far away to take a cab. We did not do the overland tour. Keep in mind that there is a fabulous sail in that you will miss with magnificent cliffs and waterfalls.

I know I would miss the sail-in, but is the sail-out any different? I wouldn't think so.

Pam,

The excursion you mentioned sounds lke the one taken either from Hellesyt or Geranger called the Best of Geranger Fyiord District. Its an all day tour boarding the bus at Hellesyt and then boarding the ship at Geranger. We are booked on the Iceland/Norway cruise departing London on JUly 29th. Is that the excursion you described? Do you have any more suggestions or anyone else any suggestions for this cruise.? Much appreciated

Sharon

Sharon, I was on a HAL cruise that had different ports, and went to Spitzbergen as well. On HAL, we even cruised hundreds of miles north of the Arctic Circle and into the polar ice cap. IMHO, a much better cruise than the one Princess now offers. :( The Sea Princess used to go to Spitzbergen but about three years ago, Princess changed to the larger Grand-class ship which can't go to some of the places a smaller ship can.

Archived