Two excursions in one port?

LuckyPeach18

Hi all,

I will be taking my first cruise this May on the Carnival Legend with my boyfriend. Our first stop will be Grand Cayman. There are two excursions that we really want to do - first is the parasailing, and the second is the Stingray City. The parasailing is about 1.5 hours long while the Stingray excursion is about 3.5 hours long. I know the ship will be docked for at least 9 hours but do you guys think it will be a smart choice to try to do 2 excursions at 1 port? Or should we play it safe and just do one? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! :)

Are they private excursions? The biggest factor is how close (geographically and timewise)the second excursion is to where and when the ship leaves port. You should plan on being back to the ship an hour before departure.

Roz

Actually, as long as you're back when they tell you to be on the ship, you'll be ok...30 mins. is standard, although some ships only require 15 mins.....

It should be doable, but you should make the last one a ship's excursion....if they are late, the ship will wait, within reason! Traffic can get really gridlocked on GC in the afternoon, and there's only one road back to the ship!

I think Grand Cayman is a tender port, so you're going to need more then 15 minutes before sailing time.

In answer to the question, I have done 2 in one day. I did both through the ship and when I booked it told me whether I had enough time. If you book it overlapping you should get a notice. When I did the 2, I told the guide that we HAD to be back on time as we had another scheduled and we still needed to go to the ship, drop off our stuff and get back on the dock. They made sure we were.

I'm not too sure how close or far apart the two excursions are so I'll definitely do some research on that. As for lunch, I haven't really thought about that either, haha. That's something I have to keep in mind too!

For the Stingray, we most likely will go with a privately owned company (I read a lot of great reviews on Moby Dick tours...but I'm open to any suggestions!). If we do the parasailing, we might book through the ship (like cb at sea said...just in case we run into any problems). When you book the excursions, do you pick a time or do they just give you the time?

For the Stingray, we most likely will go with a privately owned company (I read a lot of great reviews on Moby Dick tours...but I'm open to any suggestions!). If we do the parasailing, we might book through the ship (like cb at sea said...just in case we run into any problems). When you book the excursions, do you pick a time or do they just give you the time?

They have a set time for each tour. BUT, they may have more then one tour. Say, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, or every hour. You would then choose the tour time you wanted. If you are going to go with a ship tour, its better to pick the afternoon one as they do their best to wait for that tour if it is running late. On your own, if you are late, you are just that - on your own.

All you have to do is ASK at the Shore Excursion department when you board; they will know for sure.............unless you are concerned that Stingray City will be sold out............., is that it?

If one is early and the other is late, you can return to the ship, enjoy lunch and then leave for the second one. We've done that and it was nice to "cool off" on the ship before returning to the heat/humidity.

HAVE FUN!:)

I'm not too sure how close or far apart the two excursions are so I'll definitely do some research on that. As for lunch, I haven't really thought about that either, haha. That's something I have to keep in mind too!

If you book a Ship's excursion you can choose the time.

I'd be careful booking a NON ship excursion if it's the one later in the day. If something happens and you aren't on a Ship Excursion, the ship does NOT have to wait for your to return. .just in case you didn't know that.:eek:

Thank you for all the info! After thinking about it and looking more into the different excursions, we are just going to stick with one. The Stingray City and Rum Point Beach package that is offered through Carnival looks amazing!

Just call the cruise line and ask, they are always really helpful planning this stuff.

Ps. I've only gone on cruise line excursions just to make sure I will get back on time!

Thank you for all the info! After thinking about it and looking more into the different excursions, we are just going to stick with one. The Stingray City and Rum Point Beach package that is offered through Carnival looks amazing!

We did this excursion through Captain Marvin and had a fabulous time. We also made a stop and dove for conch that we had as a lunch appetizer. Check out his website and see how it compares with the ship's excursion. First of all, I bet there are fewer people (we had about 20 on our boat) and the cost is probably less.

You will be glad you chose SRC over parasailing. SRC is amazing.

Archived