Breakfast - Aside frome the buffet

Does RCCL have more 'classic' restaurant style breakfasts in the dining rooms, aside from having to go through a buffet? And what times/dining rooms do they do that in?

Thanks!!

All ships serve breakfast in the MDR in the mornings. Times are listed in the Daily Compass but are usually 8-10AM on sea days and 7:30-9:30 on port days.

It is open seating and you order off the menu.

Does RCCL have more 'classic' restaurant style breakfasts in the dining rooms, aside from having to go through a buffet? And what times/dining rooms do they do that in?

Thanks!!

You can also order breakfast (limited selection) from roomservice, in addition you can also order roomservice breakfast, lunch and dinner from the MDR menu when staying in a GS and above...

Almost anything you want...if it's not "paired" with what you want, simply tell them. For instance, French Toast doesn't come with eggs...so I order eggs, sausage AND French Toast...not a big deal. Just tell them what you want!

It's SOOOO much nicer than the buffet....they serve you, and there's no searching for stuff (like syrup, butter, jelly, etc...) while your food gets cold! Everything will be on the table! NICE!

If your a breakfast fan like my dh, you will love the dining room! He likes his eggs scrambled and turkey bacon and i love the cornedbeef hash, so fattening but so good!

If you get seated at a large table you get to talk with people about their plans for the day or where they are from. Its a little more formal than the buffet but worth it!

Almost anything you want...if it's not "paired" with what you want, simply tell them. For instance, French Toast doesn't come with eggs...so I order eggs, sausage AND French Toast...not a big deal. Just tell them what you want!

It's SOOOO much nicer than the buffet....they serve you, and there's no searching for stuff (like syrup, butter, jelly, etc...) while your food gets cold! Everything will be on the table! NICE!

If you haven't figured out where the butter, syrup and jelly etc. are by the second morning of your cruise, perhaps you deserve to have your food get cold. ;) Our experience in the main dining room at breakfast, unfortunately, has been that the service can be extremely slow, much slower than it is in the evening. The assistant waiters who bring around the toast and pastries seem to be hard to find once they have made their initial pass, and portion control is definitely in effect. At the buffet, you can generally get what you want, when you want it, and in the quantities that you want, and your food need not get cold, if you don't try to take all courses at the same time. I usually get my juice and hot cereal when I first arrive and after I have consumed those items, return for my eggs cooked to order, bacon or other breakfast items including, but not limited to toast, pastries etc. Fruit, bagels and lox, carved breakfast meats, cold cereal and about any breakfast items you can imagine are readily available in the Windjammer. On Radiance class ships the aft section of the Windjammer is open air and a wonderful place to have breakfast and enjoy the experience of being at sea. Servers will circulate throughout the Windjammer with juice, coffee and tea.

Whichever breakfast experience you prefer you can have it on RCI ships.:)

If you haven't figured out where the butter, syrup and jelly etc. are by the second morning of your cruise, perhaps you deserve to have your food get cold. ;) Our experience in the main dining room at breakfast, unfortunately, has been that the service can be extremely slow, much slower than it is in the evening. The assistant waiters who bring around the toast and pastries seem to be hard to find once they have made their initial pass, and portion control is definitely in effect. At the buffet, you can generally get what you want, when you want it, and in the quantities that you want, and your food need not get cold, if you don't try to take all courses at the same time. I usually get my juice and hot cereal when I first arrive and after I have consumed those items, return for my eggs cooked to order, bacon or other breakfast items including, but not limited to toast, pastries etc. Fruit, bagels and lox, carved breakfast meats, cold cereal and about any breakfast items you can imagine are readily available in the Windjammer. On Radiance class ships the aft section of the Windjammer is open air and a wonderful place to have breakfast and enjoy the experience of being at sea. Servers will circulate throughout the Windjammer with juice, coffee and tea.

Whichever breakfast experience you prefer you can have it on RCI ships.:)

Bill is right, we also have found that service in the MDR for breakfast much slower and the food is usually warm to luke warm when served.

My husband like his eggs fried, burned, he wants them cremated which they will not serve in the MDR because it doesn't look appetizing. He gets them that way in the WJ at the egg station.

Plus, I am a fruit person and the WJ fruit section is heaven to me.

And, in the WJ if there is something you want and can't find........just ask.

If your a breakfast fan like my dh, you will love the dining room! He likes his eggs scrambled and turkey bacon and i love the cornedbeef hash, so fattening but so good!

Plus you can get Eggs Benedict. Loves me some Eggs Benedict...worth the wait IMHO!

I have an odd question...well, not odd to me :D I am lactose intolerant. Does anyone know if they have any alternatives to milk for things like cereal? (I'm not concerned about little amounts for coffee, etc) This is not a big enough deal to contact the special needs department, I'm just curious! Thanks :)

I have an odd question...well, not odd to me :D I am lactose intolerant. Does anyone know if they have any alternatives to milk for things like cereal? (I'm not concerned about little amounts for coffee, etc) This is not a big enough deal to contact the special needs department, I'm just curious! Thanks :)

We make every effort to accommodate our guests' dietary requirements whenever possible. We can accommodate dietary needs such as:

Food allergies Gluten-free Kosher Low-fat Low-sodium

Vegetarian Meals (including Indian-style vegetarian) are available on all menus in the Dining Room and Windjammer Cafe every day. Guests do not need to make a special request for these meals.

Lactose-free/soy milk, Ensure, and kosher meals are available no extra charge. All you have to do is notify us at least 45 days prior to sailing (90 days for European/South American Itineraries).

Kosher for Passover meal requests MUST be received 90 days in advance in order to be accommodated.

Contact your travel agent or Certified Vacation Planner and request that the remark be noted in your reservation details. If you made your reservation online at royalcaribbean.com you may add your request to the "update personal information." section. You may also send an e-mail request to special_needs@rccl.com; please include in the e-mail the guests' names, booking number, ship name and sail date. E-mails will receive an automated response. We kindly ask that guests do not call Royal Caribbean International suppliers with specific questions.

Special meal requests that are received less than 45 days of sailing (90 days for European/South American itineraries) are dependent on the ship's product availability. We will try to accommodate to the best of our ability.

Please note: Baby food is available via our Gifts and Gear page via our Babies To Go program and infant formula is not provided on board.

Guests may not bring on board any food items other than baby food and/or dry, nonperishable snack items (cookies, crackers, chips, energy bars, etc).

We prefer breakfast in the dining room, morning is just not the time for me to battle the lines and bump-ins. Plus having to fetch my own beverage is a pia.

There has only been one time we had slow service in the dining room for breakfast, when they seated us in a section that had already been closed off. I have no idea why they didn't just move us, but it was a sea day so nowhere to rush off to.

The dining room typically takes around 20-30 minutes for full service, they want to move you along. Assistant servers are there within seconds of being seated offering breakfast breads and your beverage is ordered right away, sometimes they are hovering with a coffee pot as you are seated. We ask for a table for 2, as neither of us are willing to be chatty before coffee.

We are forever grateful the vast majority of people prefer the madhouse of the buffet, it makes the dining room so much more of a pleasure.

Enough already. This is toooooo much. Some of us have had a long wait till our next cruise and your post takes no account of the fact that a cooked breakfast with French Toast is the stuff dreams are made of ;) at least you didn't mention the Eggs Benedict!!!

I need to lie down now !!

I can only speak of my recollection of breakfast in the MDR on Jewel but they had so many different types of milk available both there and in the Windjammer. I was so impressed at the choice. I have no idea if the milk had been pre-ordered though.

The dining room typically takes around 20-30 minutes for full service, they want to move you along.

This is one reason why we do not like to eat in the MDR for breakfast. We don't like to be hurried along.

Having cruised many times, I have NEVER made it to the MDR for breakfast! I now feel like I am really missing something. Can you just go down during the time it is open and be seated or do you need to make a reservation?

No reservation necessary, just show up at the time specified in the Daily Compass. It is open seating.

Thanks!!

I find the food in the windjammer to be horible and yes always cold.We dont go there at all any more,We have always had breakfast in the MDR and never had slow sevice .It comes at the same pace it would in any restaurant,Always hot when we get it.Some people eat like hover machines so I think the buffet is the place for them.

I find the food in the windjammer to be horible and yes always cold.We dont go there at all any more,We have always had breakfast in the MDR and never had slow sevice .It comes at the same pace it would in any restaurant,Always hot when we get it.Some people eat like hover machines so I think the buffet is the place for them.

:mad::eek: "Hover" machines...nice attitude...Please stay in the MDR so there will be more tables for "Them".....:rolleyes:

Can you request not to sit with others at breakfast? I have 4 kids that will be between 5 and 10 when we travel and I wouldn't want to make other people have to sit with them! :)

No need to be rudely critical of those whose choice of a breakfast venue differs from yours.:( Chacon a son gout. No one is denying you the option of going to the dining room for breakfast and you might be a little more tolerant of those who prefer to get their eggs cooked to order in the Windjammer where they might actually be hotter than those that are cooked in the kitchen and eventually make their way to your table. Since I am not a fan of Eggs Benedict, I don't miss them in the Windjammer but I can understand why those who do enjoy them would want to go to the main dining room for them. As to slow service, it may have just been our misfortune to have experienced it on the several occasions when we tried to breakfast in the MDR, but I have to say that as much as I enjoy being waited upon at dinnertime in the MDR, my experiences at breakfast don't even come close to matching the dinnertime service. There are also wait staff in the Windjammer who will fetch your morning juice, coffee or tea, if you prefer not to get your own at the beverage station. Regardless, the number of different breakfast food options in the Windjammer far exceed what you will find on the menu in the dining room and that variety is part of what draws me to the Windjammer morning after morning.:)

We have never felt "hurried along" in the MDR, you can linger as long as you wish after eating. If we have nowhere to go on a sea day, we stay and enjoy more coffee. If we are leaving to go ashore, we have never been delayed because of slow service.

We have, however, had a difficult time finding a clean table at the buffet and wandered around for 5 minutes or more, sometimes having to sit away from our family since it is so crowded. We have had our full plate (almost) picked up by bus people while leaving to fetch our own drinks, my husband stopped him. I find this odd, since it's so hard to find a clean table most of the time. We have also encountered people staring us down who are waiting for a table, even though we are still eating our food.

We have tried to sit at a table, only to be told by the neighboring table that area is "saved" for their friends. We have had people plop themselves down at our table, even when there is obviously someone sitting there, just up to get seconds or a beverage.

So, we not only have a more civilised experience in the dining room, it can be quicker than the buffet. I'll admit, we're buffet snobs that just don't appreciate all you can eat, nor does having a bunch of choices mean much to us. We mainly prefer service over do-it-yourself.

Can you request not to sit with others at breakfast? I have 4 kids that will be between 5 and 10 when we travel and I wouldn't want to make other people have to sit with them! :)

I should think that 6 of you could sit together all at one table for 6. Usually, people come in and are seated together as they enter, but of course your request is logical and I don't see why you wouldn't be accomodated. After the first day, you can decide if breakfast in the MDR is for you and the kids.

~

Having said that and moving on, The MDR and WJ are different experiences, but I find some members bordering on rude when they advocate their choice. We're all different and one may suit us a little better than the other. Please don't flame or speak condescendingly to those who do not share your view. It would just be so appreciated. Thanks. :)

Archived