Volcanic Springs - Santorini

smileon

We are considering an excursion (RCI) with our 2 children (aged 14 and 10) to see the vokcanic springs while docked in Santorini . Does anybody have any experience of this or advice - good or bad?

Thank you

This trip is often combined with the walk up the volcano, which is easy enough, but can be very hot, and is shadeless. You will need sunhats, cream and water.

The volcanic springs are further round the volcano. If you are on a regular tour, you will either jump in or climb down a ladder. It feels muddy underfoot, but is fine to swim in. Remember that you'll have to carry wet things across to Fira island, and round with you in the town to the cliff lift, so have a waterproof bag.

jocap.

Thank you jocap

Really undecided about this - thought it might be quite fun to do with the children but now wondering if it really is that good.

RCI excursion would cost as about £160 for the 4 of us - expensive. I can see that we could possibly do this as a 3 hour trip with a local company - Pelican Travel services for 60 euros so much more reasonable! Has anyone done this with a local agent? Did it work out OK? It is from 11 am - 2pm so I think that would give us ample time but would also like to visit Oia???

Also wondering about just renting a car for the day and completely missing out the volcano and springs. Any advice would be really great as we are really struggling to make a decision here!!

Thank you

We've done it with both ship's tours and when we've been on holiday on the island. I think OH has been up the volcano about 3 times- I've been 1/2 way once.

I don't bother at the hot springs- it's just hot sea water. We once saw a private party spear fishing there, but the water's quite cloudy.

It's interesting enough if you're into volcanos etc.....which I am, but there's not an awful lot to see- super views of Fira, but you'll see those from the ships. We holiday with a young couple, and they just come along for the boat ride. They'd rather be off quad biking round the island! The local agents are fine- they are the ones hired by the ships, anyway.

If I was going to Santorini by cruise ship, I'd hire a car. You can do it in Fira, from the cable car, or on the internet. The beaches, where we stay when we go with Thomson's, are at the other side of the island, but that's only 20 mins away....it's a small, narrow island, and doesn't take long to cross, or drive to. See what your children want.....the seaside part is a typical Med holiday resort, full of Brits and Germans, and cheaper shops than the posh, Fira side; lots of Greek tavernas and fast food, cheap Greek souveneers and icecream! We actually like it a lot!

Jo.

Sorry- I've written souvenir out 20 times.....:mad:

Just a thought........I notice you're from the UK. If you pop into a TA's, and ask for the Thomson's brochure to Santorini and the Greek Isles, there will probably be some ideas of what you'll see on both sides of the island, to give you a few hints. You'll see the differences in the resorts on Santorini.

Jo.

we went on a cruise to the center volcanic island, hot springs, and then the sunset. sounds like something similar. if it is the hot springs you are after, i think you will be somewhat disappointed. we were. the water is lukewarm at best. plus, it is highly sulfuric and will stain your swimsuit (they recommend to bring an old one you can throw away). and it smells bad. On our cruise, people swam out and swam right back to the boat (there is a small swim to actually get to the hot springs). but we did see a goat, so there's that.

we went on a cruise to the center volcanic island, hot springs, and then the sunset. sounds like something similar. if it is the hot springs you are after, i think you will be somewhat disappointed. we were. the water is lukewarm at best. plus, it is highly sulfuric and will stain your swimsuit (they recommend to bring an old one you can throw away). and it smells bad. On our cruise, people swam out and swam right back to the boat (there is a small swim to actually get to the hot springs). but we did see a goat, so there's that.

Mmm - goat sounds very exciting!!

The more I hear the more I think we will give it a miss.

Thank you

smileon- we've just been looking up hols in Santorini for this autumn. The resort we stay at is Kamari, which is just 10 kilometres from Fira town...about 7 miles. I know it's near, because I use the service bus a lot when we stay there, and it only takes 20 mins. Thomson's are advertising it on the net, if you want an idea.

Cheers- enjoy-Jo.

Archived