Roll Call-Silver Cloud 1-16 July, Norwegian Fjords

gdlamberth

Hi, everyone! I am still here. Another beautiful day in St Lucia. Off on the ferry to lunch at the Coal Pot. See you all in Copenhagen!

hi duct tape; how is the crowd compared to the 3/17 to 3/24 group? we just got over the most miserable rain storm here in Boston;wish we were still there although it will be 70 for opening day.go Sox !!:D

Since most passengers get on buses almost immediately and then return at different times overcrowding is rarely a problem. Sometimes local festivals are more of a problem.

THANKS, newlondon, for the excellent reminder for how that "off-loading" works. The cruise ships do work hard to spread out the times in order to avoid too much of a "mob scene". For July 13, the "time windows" are a little narrow as we are only in the port stop of Helleysylt for 8-10 am and then Geiranger, 12:30-5 pm. They've done it many times, so I'm sure it will all work out. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

By the way, if you're not signed up for the Flam train trip be sure to do so; it was the most spectacular shore excursion I've ever done-of many. Also pray for good weather at the North Cape (we had 70 and sunny) as many trips never see anything and I've heard it can last so long they even miss the midnight sun.

Right now we are booked for the Flam train (as part of the Overland to Gudvangen), the North Cape visit (and yes we are praying for good weather), and (thanks to newlondon's suggestion) the Summer Farm in the Mountains tours. The latter is out of Geiranger and since

"Pier Information

Your ship is scheduled to anchor in Hellesylt. Please note that only guests participating in the overland excursions are permitted to disembark."

seems like we'll avoid most of the crowd issues.

Greg

By the way, if you're not signed up for the Flam train trip be sure to do so; it was the most spectacular shore excursion I've ever done-of many. Also pray for good weather at the North Cape (we had 70 and sunny) as many trips never see anything and I've heard it can last so long they even miss the midnight sun.

THANKS for the suggestions! I've looked at the website on the Flam train trip and it seems fascinating. For others to check more, you can go to:

http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng

There is lots of great info on this site and it links to many other sites of interest in that area. The engineering work to design and do this rail route is unique. Near Interlaken in Switzerland, we did the great railroad there up to the highest mountain train station in the world at Jungfraujoch/Top of Europe. We have our bookings done on this Flam train and for the North Cape trip.

For Helleysylt/Geiranger on July 13, we are debating between the farm trip and the all-day, overland trip that includes Styrn Lake and Buldrefossen Waterfall. Reactions and any past experiences on these two options?

We have rental cars booked for both Leknes to explore Lofoten Island and at Alesund to go over to Runde, the major bird rock with 240 species breeding there, etc. In many of the ports, we will dock close and can do much on our own. Any other ports pop up as "must do's" for the ship excursions?

Glad to see Greg is moving well on his planning and bookings.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Ah, billcrooz, a lightbulb...were you traveling with your mother and a friend and his mother?

no; i was at the bar every evening@ 7:00 with my dw; white moustache and martini in hand ! ahh the memories; are you the one with the short hair ?:D

"Pier Information: Your ship is scheduled to anchor in Hellesylt. Please note that only guests participating in the overland excursions are permitted to disembark."

seems like we'll avoid most of the crowd issues.

Greg

THANKS, Greg, I didn't full appreciate that this is only "drop-off" point! After reading your post a second time, I finally "GOT IT!".

They also note: "This call provides a drop-off point for guests participating in overland excursions. No other sightseeing options are available." The Silversea info for this stop also notes: "Guests wishing to witness Norway’s majestic fjords, as well as the dramatic mountainous interior, will take the opportunity during this brief call in Hellesylt to join overland excursions. Tour HLL-A Overland from Hellesylt to Geiranger will rejoin the ship later today in the port of Geiranger. For the more adventurous, you may opt for HLL-B Rafting Valldal which also rejoins the ship in Geiranger."

Our Columbus friends who will be on this tour with us just got a copy of the highly-detailed Michelin map for Norway. We'll study these options more, but it seems that the Overland tour might be of high interest from this Hellesylt port. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terry in Ohio, As I posted previously we found the farm in the mountains to be an excellent excursion--beautiful scenery and some nice local farm products to take back for the cocktail hour snacks. You really do get a sense of farm life.

Terry in Ohio, As I posted previously we found the farm in the mountains to be an excellent excursion--beautiful scenery and some nice local farm products to take back for the cocktail hour snacks. You really do get a sense of farm life.

THANKS, newlondon! YES, as I posted earlier with "For Helleysylt/Geiranger on July 13, we are debating between the farm trip and the all-day, overland trip that includes Styrn Lake and Buldrefossen Waterfall. Reactions and any past experiences on these two options?" Both options seem excellent and very interesting, but we can only do one or the other.

The $209 Overland tour is billed as seeing "the Roof of Norway" and is eight hours. It includes seeing Hornindals-Vannet Lake at 1,700 feet and a crystal-clear lake as deep as Lake Tahoe; Styrn Lake; Jostedalen Glacier; the engineering of Styrnefjell Road opened in 1895 with nineteen hairpin turns; Jølbrua Bridge; thundering Buldrefossen Waterfall; lunch at Videseter Hotel; past Tystigen Glacier; Mt. Dalsnibba; vistas of snow-covered surrounding mountains and from the 3,378-feet Dypvass-lake viewpoint, views of the Flydal Valley and the Silver Wind anchored in Geirangerfjord. Sounds great, assuming the weather is decent.

The $159 Summer Farm in the Mountains is 3.5 hours in the afternoon from Geiranger that goes up the famed "Eagle's Road". There are lots of waterfalls and vistas. Its main focus is the visit to the cheese farm, Herdalssetra, with its spectacular setting. There are 450 goats roaming about freely, plus cows, sheep and the fjord horses.

It's a tough choice!!! Both sound great. Any others have experiences on either option? Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terry,

In addition to the farm as newlondon has suggested there is another "Overland" out of Flam. Here's some thoughts on the two "Overlands" from my TA which I've edited in in italics to the SS tour description:

(SOG-C) Overland to Gudvangen

Explore the panoramic mountain region surrounding the Sognefjord during this memorable, full-day sightseeing excursion by coach and rail

Scenic Train Ride

Train is a must do.

Voss and Tvindefossen Waterfall

Very pretty waterfall & lake.

Stalheim Hotel

Interesting place. Will see German gun placement.

White Caves

Really cool caves. (TA) really loved these caves.

(HLL-A) Overland from Hellesylt to Geiranger

Indulge your senses with the stunning natural beauty of the ‘Roof of Norway’ during this picturesque, full-day overland excursion from Hellesylt to Geiranger.

Raftevold Hotel and Hornindals-Vannet Lake, Styrn Lake, &Buldrefossen Waterfall

For these first three items, TA says that it is a beautiful area.

Videseter Hotel and Mt. Dalsnibba & Geiranger Village

For these last two items, TA says the experiences are usually available through normal excursions or easily done independently by taxi.

Just some additional thoughts but both sound wonderful but the Flam trip is a bit more expensive and the Geirange one has a bit more verticle.

Actually Terry our trip allowed both. If you can handle a lot of bus travel I would go for the longer trip as I told gdlamberth earlier. If not the farm is terrific!

THANKS to both newlondon and Greg for the added information, background and perspective! It really helps. Since we want to maximize the fjord sightseeing time, we probably don't want to do an overland trip from Flam to Gudvangen. That's why the Hellesylt to Geiranger "Roof of Norway" trip seems to be the better choice. We'll keep studying and thinking on these excellent options. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just to update and share on a couple items of info on this cruise. We're first-timers on Silversea, so maybe this is "old news" for some. On booking any shore excursions, the Silversea policy is that you can cancel up to 48-hours prior to that tour, unless it is specifically noted otherwise for a special type of program. We are getting the key ones booked now that we MIGHT or probably would do. If we find a better option and/or weather is looking crappy, we can always adjust downward while on the ship. SECOND, this cruise is till totally booked/full and on a wait-list. Clearly, it's popular and we made a wise choice in getting booked early when they were doing the 60% discounts off of the inflated "retail" price. Time is getting closer. Great, warm spring weather with lots of sun in Central Ohio. Snow is gone!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Duct Tape, I am very respectful of your posts. You are knowledgable and well travelled. I was sorry to see your comment because Mr. Lefebvre and his family absolutely could not have been nicer. There were also members of the Danish Royal Family on board and they were pleasant as well.Although the ship was full, and of course the roll call may have made a difference, the service food etc. was spectacular. DW and I can hardly wait for our SW cruise to the Chilean fjords.:):)

In my experience, that is not always good news!

With duck tape's quick witted comments, I wasn't sure whether it was . . . the ship being full . . . or . . . the ownership family on board that caused the comment of "not always good news!". Any added insights to share?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

newlondon,

poolcat, just out of curiosity when are you getting in on the 30th? Gretchen and I live in the mountains of SE Arizona and Cheryl a bit east of Los Angeles. Sot we are flying via LAX and ORD to CPH so we can link up with Cheryl. We don't get into CPH until 1320 on an SK flight out of ORD.

I apologize for not getting back with you sooner - I do not check the boards every week. We will be getting in around 930AM. Direct round trip flights from Atlanta on Delta.

Just reading the thread makes me wish the journey was this week rather than about 12 weeks away!

poolcat,

No problem. Just looking to see if we were going to be maybe on the same or similar flights. Are you going to take your husband to Tivoli that day/night? Are you spending any time there post cruise? We spent time there pre and post a few years ago when we did a Baltic cruise but still missed several things. We'll be in a cunundrum this trip as to "do we see something new?" or "let's show Cheryl (the Copenhagen newbie) something we really liked last time." Well I guess we all face tough choices:p.

Archived