Roll Call-Silver Cloud 1-16 July, Norwegian Fjords

gdlamberth

For those of you who aren't counting here's a blurp from the "My voyage" section of the SS site:

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Silver Cloud on July 1, 2010 for your voyage from Copenhagen, Denmark to Copenhagen, Denmark.

Your cruise is expected to depart in 47 days.

Sorry, couldn't help myself:o.

Greg

Gee Greg. your post reminded me to check MY VOYAGE and I found that my cruise will depart Vancouver in 10 days!

Completely slipped my mind......;)

Guess I'd better get busy......

Mary Ann

This past weekend, the Wall Street Journal highlighted one of the stopping points for our July 1-16 Norway Coast cruise. Headlined: "Ten Great Trips You've Probably Never Heard Of", they were spotlighting "some fresh ideas" about ten "great trips" that many have never heard of. Some have been inaccessible before or involve unique ways to experience destinations. The story item had these details and highlights: "Here's a change of scenery for cycling enthusiasts: riding amid the seascapes and snow-covered peaks of Norway's Lofoten Islands, an archipelago just above the Arctic Circle. Along the way, cyclists stop in remote fishing villages, where they can visit art galleries and museums, including the reconstructed farm of a Viking chieftain. Nature figures prominently, with stops at sandy beaches and cliff-side nesting colonies." There was a picture with this caption: "Celebrating the midnight sun in Norway's Lofoten Islands."

On July 7, Wednesday, 8 am-5 pm, we have a rental car reserved and are planning to do some exploring of these areas on Lofoten Island during our port stop. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Well we are now 38 days from sailing according to the SS web site:). In our case that means we're only 36 days from leaving for our cruise :D. Carol Ann, hope you're enjoying graduation week at my Alma Mater.

Here's is a list of folks from Cruise Critic I believe are cruising this trip:

• Greg, Gretchen, and Cheryl
  • Terry and Penny
  • Dennis and Janet
  • Carol Ann, DH, and Mother
  • Mayflower+3 (2 from Essex and 2 from Boca Raton)
  • DrJim+??
  • Mr. & Mrs. Duct Tape
  • RichardMK
  • Conte Di Savoia +1
  • daddyo

Errors? Additions? Deletions?

Is anyone interested in some sort of (very) informal get together? Perhaps as part of the sail away? Perhaps the afternoon of our second day (a sea day)? Other time?

Just thought some might be interested in meeting for a few minutes near the beginning of our cruise. Since I've never been on a SS ship before, perhaps someone who's been on (or is on) Cloud could suggest where?

Not trying to impose or be presumptive:o.

Greg

Here's is a list of folks from Cruise Critic I believe are cruising this trip:

• Greg, Gretchen, and Cheryl
  • Terry and Penny
  • Dennis and Janet
  • Carol Ann, DH, and Mother
  • Mayflower+3 (2 from Essex and 2 from Boca Raton)
  • DrJim+??
  • Mr. & Mrs. Duct Tape
  • RichardMK
  • Conte Di Savoia +1
  • daddyo

Errors? Additions? Deletions? Is anyone interested in some sort of (very) informal get together? Perhaps as part of the sail away? Perhaps the afternoon of our second day (a sea day)? Other time? Just thought some might be interested in meeting for a few minutes near the beginning of our cruise. Since I've never been on a SS ship before, perhaps someone who's been on (or is on) Cloud could suggest where? Greg

THANKS, Greg, for updating on the list and suggesting some options for a CC gathering! Like Greg, we are first-timers to Silversea and look forward to meeting and learning more from the super "experts" who will be along for this cruise. YES! We'd enjoy such a gathering. Love to hear from more who will be on this unique journey. Sounds like we've heard from about 23-25 folks, so far.

Times continue to be "interesting" as the euro drops below $1.22 today and the British Airways series of strikes are "in play" now, but not causing too many major problems. Then, there's the Iceland volcano that has not been too disruptive during the past week or so. Our insurance coverage question has been resolved by Travelex. As of this morning per the Wall Street Journal, one dollar gets 6.0887 Denmark Krone and 6.6408 Nowegian Krone. More news stories today indicate that the financial markets and banks in Europe are in a "challenged" situation for borrowing, rates and values. It will all work out fine, we hope and trust.

Keep rolling with the good ideas and thoughts. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Actually, newspaper reports this morning indicate the volcano has shut down. It is now officially dormant.

Thanks for mentioning. Had missed this "good news". From the Christian Science Monitor yesterday, they have this headline: "Volcanic ash cloud: Is eruption of Eyjafjallajökull over?" with these highlights: "There is no volcanic ash cloud over Europe today, and forecasts from Britain's Meteorological Office show clear skies all week. The Iceland volcano, Eyjafjallajökull, is shrinking and now appears dormant. During the past two months that the Iceland volcano was creating an ash cloud over Europe and erupting magma, it was also slowly 'deflating' to the point that it has now shrunk several centimeters in size, says volcanologist Bryndís Brandsdóttir of the Institute of Earth Sciences at the University of Iceland."

From the Reuters story: "Icelandic meteorological office geographer Sigthrudur Armannsdottir said the volcano, about 120 km southeast of the capital Reykjavik, was now showing only minimal signs of life. 'There is no ash coming up and no lava,' she told Reuters. 'The volcano is dormant at the moment, but we are not ready to declare the eruption over.' "

Here are more details and the full stories:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64N3PR20100524

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/2010/0525/Volcanic-ash-cloud-Is-eruption-of-Eyjafjallajoekull-over

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Good news about the volcano! We have 2 additional folks traveling with us. I think the sail-away party is a good place to mingle, in the pool bar area. Now we have to decide how we will know each other...I will be wearing duct tape on my shoulder!

I'll be the short fat guy in glasses with two TALL blondes.

I'm not sure, from Greg's comments, whether he's "BRAGGING" or "COMPLAINING" on his appearance and/or the two blondes! Which is it?

Good idea by duct tape on "I think the sail-away party is a good place to mingle, in the pool bar area." What are the other reactions? Departing from that harbor in Copenhagen is very nice. Below are a couple of the visuals from that ship location that I took in late July 2008. Assume we will sail from Langelinie pier/dock at 7 pm, right? I think we're the only main cruise ship in port that day.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our docked ship, here is the view of Copenhagen's nearby and scenic areas, etc.:

1A-CopenhagenHarborsm.jpg

From the front of our docked ship, here is the view of Copenhagen's new Opera House, baroque church/corkscrew spire, the harbor, various ships and buildings, etc.:

CopenhHarborOperaTow.jpg

This shows the wind power being nearby to our ship in the beautiful Copenhagen harbor:

1A-CPH-HarborWindPower.jpg

RichardMK, Are you traveling solo? With partner? Group? Start calling out, "GREG!" or "TERRY!" for starters:eek:. See if anyone answers:rolleyes:. Greg

THANKS, Richard, for posting! To make it easier than shouting out "Terry" and/or to expose properly the "guilty party", here a visual hint from when we were visiting Moscow during our Baltics 2008 cruise trip. I'm wearing the red sweater on Red Square. What other color would you wear in the Soviet capital? NO, the black earpieces were not to get directions from their KGB Headquarters or to listen to iPod music. Those were the radio communications devices used by the guide in Moscow. I forgot to take them off for this picture. Sorry! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

MoscowTLCP.jpg

Terry, What a wonderful picture. I wish we were traveling with you on one of the best cruises available. You and your DW look me and my DW after our 43 years. I wish I was as proficient with a computer as you are so I could send our picture from the balcony of the Topkapi Palace!

Best , New London

For ID purposes here are pics of

1. Gretchen and Cheryl having way too much fun in the Men's Room at Bloody Mary's

2. Gretchen and I on RSSC Voyager with one of St Petersburg Dance Troupe

3. Just a really cool picture from our B&B in Auckland.

883280601_522cc-GretchenandCherylinBloodyMarysMensRoom.jpg.059562655ce9af33e135da95e249f083.jpg

1878333717_DancerfromRussianReunion.jpg.8c9e9b0afe2c127d10c82c7e99f6e5ad.jpg

1557019207_SunriseoverAucklandfromCherlysapartment.jpg.8b9cfc4f5097dd8e640946d496f2b0bc.jpg

duct tape,

Cheryl is my cousin from Hemet, CA. She's only been on Regent/Radisson and once on Costa (I think). Cheryl and Gretchen (my spousal unit) are the two tall blondes I'm lucky enough to travel with:D.

Greg

MoscowTLCP.jpg

So that's the face of the man with the talented eye behind the lens of so many wonderful photos posted to Cruise Critic. Nice to see you!

I am very much looking forward to the pictures you will upload when you return from your upcoming voyage.

Bon Voyage to you two! :)

Terry, What a wonderful picture. I wish we were traveling with you on one of the best cruises available. You and your DW look me and my DW after our 43 years. I wish I was as proficient with a computer as you are so I could send our picture from the balcony of the Topkapi Palace! Best , New London

So that's the face of the man with the talented eye behind the lens of so many wonderful photos posted to Cruise Critic. Nice to see you! I am very much looking forward to the pictures you will upload when you return from your upcoming voyage. Bon Voyage to you two! :)

THANKS to New London and Oceans&Rivers for the super nice and kind comments! On DuctTape, I'm shockingly surprised that he would prefer tall blondes over a tall, white-haired older guy. What kind of fun is that? Appreciate Greg's added postings. Keep up the good work. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

RichardMK I will easily recognize you. You will most likely be wearing a Grey Goose Ball Cap and drinking a GG and tonic.

Nice try, but not close. Sorry, Richard! Have never had a GG and tonic, nor do I own a Grey Goose Ball Cap. In fact, very seldom wear a cap. I am much more of a frozen Margarita with salt on the edge kind of guy. How well are those done by Silversea? Havana Club and diet coke in Cuba is very good. Some Italian white wine or French red from Burgundy can be good. Some of the wines from Chile, New Zealand and South Africa can be excellent. Assume Silversea has a nice mix of various wine options. Any special suggestions from Duct Tape, Richard, etc.?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived