Pacific Sun

I'm confused here she is w/these colors: which one is current?

The current paint scheme is shown in the your last photo. The P&O accross the front is now the standard for all Australian P&O ships in place of the sun symbol. The Pacific Sun had this paint work done back in December 2009.

Alan

The colours look nicer (I favour the middle one), but the problem is that there's no brand easily visible to anyone who hasn't sailed before. As the market's gotten more competitive locally, it's necessary for them to be more recognisable so people are more aware and think of them when they go to book. Hence why they have switched to the last one.

Don't think it would help whatever the paint job, has to be the ugliest looking ship p&o has ever had here.

Absolutely agree with u yatchet...it looks like an old ferry...scrap it:)

Cheers

ging466

Are PACIFIC SUN's days numbered? I notice the current cruise was delayed a day due to a "quick" drydock in Sydney. And passenger reports haven't been too good for quite a while now. Maybe P&O Australia will do what it does to all its "old" stock.... sell them off to Pullmantur, the Spanish Cruise operator.

Anyone heard any rumours? Maybe when PACIFIC PEARL gets here at the end of this year, SUN will disappear? Can Australia really support 4 of its own ships PLUS 2 Princess-based ships?

Are PACIFIC SUN's days numbered? I notice the current cruise was delayed a day due to a "quick" drydock in Sydney. And passenger reports haven't been too good for quite a while now. Maybe P&O Australia will do what it does to all its "old" stock.... sell them off to Pullmantur, the Spanish Cruise operator.

To what I have read up to now I have not heard many bad reports about the Pacific Sun, more on staff, and people on the ship who like to complain about everything.

I was on her over Christmas / New Year and she was fine when we where on board.

Anyone heard any rumours? Maybe when PACIFIC PEARL gets here at the end of this year, SUN will disappear?

I don’t think P&O Australia will sell the Pacific Sun this year or next year, maybe something will happen with her in 2012, but I think P&O Australia will still want to get their money worth’s out of her from her Dry Dock in 2008 and in 2009 before they think of selling her.

Plus the Pacific Pearl does not go to Australia in till Feb 2011

Can Australia really support 4 of its own ships PLUS 2 Princess-based ships?

Next year (2011) Australia should be getting two Holland America ships, two Royal Caribbean ships (and maybe two Celebrity ships).

I don’t think P&O Australia will sell the Pacific Sun this year or next year, maybe something will happen with her in 2012, but I think P&O Australia will still want to get their money worth’s out of her from her Dry Dock in 2008 and in 2009 before they think of selling her.

Although I'd agree with that in general, I'm sure they'll keep a watch on sales of the new entrants compared to the existing ones. If there's a change in balance - not that I think there's a great likelihood of that - it may well prompt them to change plans and Pacific Sun is the most likely to be offloaded if it came to it.

We have done 3 cruises on the Sun & loved her each time. Many of the problems that get publicity are common to any ship or other mechanical beast. They probably need to scedule more frequent maintenance periods between cruises to avoid some of the recent frustrations.

That being said, we came off the Sun on Feb 24th & were told by a member of the entertainment crew that the ship is on the market already. On a previous cruise we were told by a Captain that P&O like to get rid off their ships once they are 25years old & for Pacific Sun I believe that milestone occurs this year.

I think some of you are a little harsh but the 'floating razorblades' comment made me laugh:D. Alright she may not be the most attractive ship around (I've seen better looking RO RO ferries).

But alot of people are still reporting enjoying their time on board :) and by the look of some of the countdown clocks a lot of CC members (even those who have been on much cooler/newer/fancier/larger ships) will still go on the Pacific Sun given an interesting enough itinerary!

It appears she may have some kind of ongoing stabilizer problems, and from what I read, think previous stabilizer issues were possibly contributory to the serious knock down (big roll) she suffered a few years ago.

This worries me slightly as we are booked on her later this year.

What does every one think, should I change my booking to another ship as my husband and son are first timers and I would like them to enjoy it:confused:.

Regards Jenny

Past cruises

Tjiwangi x2 - 1971 and 1973

Marco Polo - 1972

Cathay - 1974

Fairsky - 1975

Arcadia - 1975

Fairstar x5 - 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979 & 1980

Future cruises

Pacific Sun - 18 September 2010

Where did u hear tht?

Not so much 'getting' but for HAL Volendam is visiting again for the Summer season and another ship is likely, but again not permanently here.

For RCL, Rhapsody and Radiance will both likely be here for the Summer season.

For Celebrity, I would only expect one at best, and if it happens it would most likely only be a pass through cruise like Cunard, Seabourne and so on. Nothing's definite though.

should I change my booking to another ship as my husband and son are first timers and I would like them to enjoy it:confused:.

You might go and have a good time and then you might have heaps of trouble. It's an old ship, built in 1986 and it obviously is no longer maintained properly. If it was me, I would change to another ship.

Cheers

ging466

Where did u hear tht?

It has been said in a number of places about Holland America sending a 2nd ship down, the Zaandam is even showing in the ports schedule with the Volendam. Mind you they can change ships if they decide.

RCI have announced that they are sending the Radiance of the Seas down with Rhapsody of the seas so that is common knowledge.

look bella,

I sailed on SUN 3 years ago and I enjoyed it, but having said that, apart from saving a few bucks (I actually haven't done the sums yet but I am assuming that it costs less on SUN when comparing similar accommodations), why would anyone sail on SUN when DAWN and JEWEL are younger (although not by much), better maintained, and much bigger?????

look bella,

I sailed on SUN 3 years ago and I enjoyed it, but having said that, apart from saving a few bucks (I actually haven't done the sums yet but I am assuming that it costs less on SUN when comparing similar accommodations), why would anyone sail on SUN when DAWN and JEWEL are younger (although not by much), better maintained, and much bigger?????

I don't think people book on the Sun because it is cheaper. I believe it is the itinerary, the date and the port that suits a person best to sail from. I prefer the Dawn and Jewel to the Sun, but think the Sun has a great atmosphere. I'll happily sail on any of them.

look bella,

.. why would anyone sail on SUN when DAWN and JEWEL are younger (although not by much), better maintained, and much bigger?????

I have cruised on both the Sun & the Dawn and loved both. There are things I like about each better than the other. Contrary to you comment, I liked the Sun BECAUSE it was smaller. I think they are making ships WAY to big these days & I have no interest on cruising the huge ones. I loved the back deck space on the Sun more than the Dawn although the decor was better on the Dawn. Food, entertainment & service was the same on both.....FANTASTIC!!

The Sun is great! The crew members are amazing! Maintenance is ONGOING all the time. Our cabin was spotless! You can strike problems on newer ships as well. Look at the Jewel's inaugural cruise out of Sydney! And I've heard that quad cabins on the Sun are actually bigger than on Dawn & Jewel.

Don't base your choice on bad reviews - you will find just as many if not more good reviews. I only wrote one in the last couple of weeks -here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1153829

The first photo was her original P&O colours from 2004 to 2008.

The second photo was her first All White scheme from 2008 to 2009

The third photo is her current scheme.

I personally think that her original colour scheme is the best - because she's so slab sided she needs colour. Pacific Jewel and Pacific Dawn look OK with plain white sides because they've got the balcony, the promenade decks and life boats etc to break up the plain ness.

We've done 4 cruises on Pacific Sun, and I think she's actually improving with age. The changes that have been done in the last couple of drydocks have improved her.

I think some of you are a little harsh but the 'floating razorblades' comment made me laugh:D. Alright she may not be the most attractive ship around (I've seen better looking RO RO ferries).

But alot of people are still reporting enjoying their time on board :) and by the look of some of the countdown clocks a lot of CC members (even those who have been on much cooler/newer/fancier/larger ships) will still go on the Pacific Sun given an interesting enough itinerary!

It appears she may have some kind of ongoing stabilizer problems, and from what I read, think previous stabilizer issues were possibly contributory to the serious knock down (big roll) she suffered a few years ago.

This worries me slightly as we are booked on her later this year.

What does every one think, should I change my booking to another ship as my husband and son are first timers and I would like them to enjoy it:confused:.

Regards Jenny

Past cruises

Marco Polo - 1972

Cathay - 1974

Fairsky - 1975

Arcadia - 1975

Future cruises

Stabilisers have nothing to do with the stability of a ship. A ship can sail anywhere without using stabilisers if neccessary.

Stabilisers are used to dampen the natural roll of a ship to make the passengers feel more comfortable, and walk around more easily.

Although i said in a previous post, she is the ugliest ship p&o have had here, have sailed on her twice and found everything up to scratch and thoroughly enjoyed my time on board.

karen....

thanks for reply.... yeah, it makes sense what you say.... ships are getting too big.... OASIS OF THE SEAS = 260,000 tonnes... what the?????

sailed on PACIFIC PRINCESS several years ago..... boutique 32,000 tonnes.... really intimate and special with minimal passenger load.... what my problem is with "small" ships is the weather.... if things turn nasty, give me a huge ship anytime!!

sailed on LIBERTY OF THE SEAS last year during hurricane season.... luckily seas smooth as.... at that time it was the biggest cruise ship at 160,000 tonnes (yes, bigger than QM2 at 150,000).... now that was a nice ship and somehow we didn't get lost.... some ships you just can't get from pointA to pointB without first going to pointZ lol...

Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies:). It gives me a lot to think about!!!

I chose this ship/cruise for a number of reasons:

First its been a long time since I went on my last cruise and I thought a smaller ship may be easier for me to relate to (I find the huge ones a bit intimidating).

Secondly I chose a cruise that leaves from Newcastle to make it easier and reduce the potential stress on embarkation day with a young child and a husband who is not at all sure that he is going to like cruising. (it has taken me years to talk him into trying it).

Thirdly its a good departure date and duration for a first cruise for my husband and son.

I will certainly consider all the points you've all made.

Looking at another thread it seems that Pacific Sun is currently experiencing further mechanical issues:mad:, I don't even know if she will make it to September!

My thoughts go out to those on board who have already had their cruise shortened and many ports lost. Best wishes to you all.

Regards Jenny

Past cruises

Marco Polo - 1972

Cathay - 1974

Fairsky - 1975

Arcadia - 1975

Future cruises

Archived