OK, how rocky is it?

Meredisney

I'm booked in 9201 on the Dream. It is an Obstructed cabin all the way forward. I was really excited about this room until I started reading the reviews about how rocky forward facing rooms are. I read some things about noise, but that doesnt bother me in the least. Im more concerned about getting sick. Ive been on several cruises and Ive never gotten sea sick, but I also take dramamine. I dont know what to do? Should I change my room? HELP????

Did you read the thread where someone said never again, that they were there on the Dream?? I think it was a rocky week on the ocean, might have made it a lot worse than usual.

No one can predict how the seas will be on your cruise, but if they are rocky, the higher you are and all the way forward, of course you will feel it a lot more.

I'm booked in 9201 on the Dream. It is an Obstructed cabin all the way forward. I was really excited about this room until I started reading the reviews about how rocky forward facing rooms are. I read some things about noise, but that doesnt bother me in the least. Im more concerned about getting sick. Ive been on several cruises and Ive never gotten sea sick, but I also take dramamine. I dont know what to do? Should I change my room? HELP????

Where were you located on prior cruises? Maybe you are one of the lucky ones who isn't prone to seasickness. I know with me, unless the seas are unusually calm I would have felt queasy at least some point during the cruise, if I had not taken anything at all for nausea.

oops, just re-read and saw you did take dramamine. What is your itinerary? Like Fire said, no one can predict how the seas will be, but I think some routes are more prone to rough water than others.

Hi!

I wouldn't change rooms. If there are rough seas, then you'll feel it EVERYWHERE, believe me!

I was way forward on deck 2 of the Celebration some years ago, and we had 12-foot swells. :eek: The "Do Not Disturb" door cards lined the hallways that day from the back of the ship to the front. Retching sounds could be heard from behind most cabin doors. Huge stacks of sick bags we on hand in all the elevator bays.

I went up to the pool area in the middle of the Lido deck that day to try to get some air and keep my eyes on the horizon. The horizon kept disappearing as we reached the top of a swell, then went way above my head as we dipped into the valley. (Bleh!)

Granted, the Celebration is considered a "small" ship by today's standards, but I don't think we would have fared much better on any of the larger ships.

If you take dramamine you will be fine. Just start taking it about an hour before the ship sails. I take another tablet about every 6 hours or so. I prefer the forward cabins as they are less prone to noise and vibration from the engines.

Any cabin in the bow or stern will move more than one midships... it's the teeter totter effect.

Cabins higher on the ship move more than cabins lower.

If you're truly concerned about motion sickness I'd suggest relocating. However, if you've been on ships that have encountered high seas and you did not get sick then you're no more likely to get sick on the Carnival Dream.

She doesn't move any more than any other ship. I was on the Dream in 30 foot seas and I thought she handled the conditions quite well, indeed.

:)

I would recommend sticking with the room you have, especially since you haven't gotten seasick before, and it seems that it would be a nice room. See if those reviews are doing the same route that you're doing. If you booked earlysaver, remember that you can't change rooms without incurring a penalty. Instead of Dramamine, try the generic Bonine during the day. It doesn't have the drowsy side-effect. In case you don't already know, take your first pill before you set sail. Coke or Pepsi has been known to help settle stomachs when someone gets seasick, so carry some on board with you.

I was in the front of the ship on the Holiday (a much older ship) last November, on her final sailing. It got very rocky after we left Calica and headed towards the Gulf. I got sick for the first time ever, but I think that had more to do with the margarita at Tulum. Mexican water was used for the ice, so I think that's what got me sick.

Thanks everyone! I just posted a similar question in the Cabin Selection thread as well, but now reading your replies, I am a little more at ease.

Thanks for the tip about the Bodine. I remember being really tired after taking Dramamine when I sailed on the Monarch of the Seas with some friends last Spring. We all feel asleep after the safety drill and slept right through our dinner. We practically had to beg the maître d’ to let us in the dining room late LOL! After that night, we opted for personal choice dining!!!!

Archived