A Few Questions About Dunns River Falls

PMGNJ04

I am considering going to DRF with my wife and 2 children ages 11 and 9 in August. One concern I have is my wife climbing the falls because of prior ankle issues. Can you enjoy different parts of the falls without actually climbing them? Are there other ways to get wet, natural pools,etc.

Also has anyone bought the Recession Special through Phil Lafayette?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

There are 3 places to exit the falls. There was one woman and one 6 year old child in our group who had a bit of a difficult time. The girl got off at the first exit, the woman the second. Your wife can also just climb the stairs and watch if she likes.

There is a staircase so you can climb out of the water with you. She can then join you in the pools etc. as she wants. There are some pools with photo ops. Yes, she should be able to do what you propose.

"pools" means ... places where the water is calm, but yet still flowing, around the area where the stairs in/out of the water are. So one can sit in a pool of the water fall flow and never even need to climb a bit of the falls.

I have a bum knee that prevented me from attempting the falls but I still quite enjoyed my time there. The park entrance is at the top of the falls. So there is not much of a walk to the upper section.

Beside the lockers one can rent to stow bags, etc, there are stairs leading down to a series of platforms that run beside the upper section of the falls. While footing can be a little slippery in places, it's not bad and there are handrails everywhere. I spent my time on these platforms observing the wonderful scenery and various groups climbing the falls. There are numerous places to sit and contemplate. You wife can simply wait there while you do the climb. The climb is pretty challenging so I'd suggest that you get a good look at the falls before deciding if your kids can manage.

Give your wife the camera so she can get some good shots of you as you come up the falls.

• 3 weeks later...

I climbed the whole way a few years ago...but it was dangerous...had older people that could not manuver well and well wanting to hold on (they ask that all in the group hold hands) which means if they fall you could fall...I would use caution

BUT have a great cruise...

I too am consiedering this excursion but am afraid of heights, would this be a problem? On my last cruise I climbed to the top of the Mayan ruins but going down was a bit tougher...

Not really an issue. The falls are climbing up rocks, not like the face of a mountain or anything. Google images of Dunns River Falls and you will get the idea. Levels off, climb the next rock, levels off, climb, you get the idea.

I too am consiedering this excursion but am afraid of heights, would this be a problem? On my last cruise I climbed to the top of the Mayan ruins but going down was a bit tougher...

I seriously doubt it. Only the very last portion, which few attempt, is anywhere near vertical. Mostly the river flows on a 10 - 20 degree slope. The river is not that wide and the banks are lush with tropical foliage, i.e. a little closed in.

Archived