Solo share vs. single supplement

Iowa cruiser

I recently looked into the single share option which Holland America offers. I priced the May 9 and 10 departures of the Amsterdam and Oosterdam out of Seattle to Alaska. There have been some good prices on these routes recently ($599pp inside guarantee and $699pp outside guarantee for doubles).

The HAL single supplement is 50% for these cruises. Surprisingly, the single share cost is as much as, or more than, the single supplement on these cruises depending on the cabin category. When I asked why, the HAL agent said that the share cabins are "better" ....

To me, an inside is an inside, and I cannot imagine paying so much more than the advertised rate to share a cabin.

Is this pricing gambit standard for the industry? Years ago I had a solo share on Carnival to Alaska, had a pleasant roommate, and paid a half double rate. Are those days gone?

I recently looked into the single share option which Holland America offers. I priced the May 9 and 10 departures of the Amsterdam and Oosterdam out of Seattle to Alaska. There have been some good prices on these routes recently ($599pp inside guarantee and $699pp outside guarantee for doubles).

The HAL single supplement is 50% for these cruises. Surprisingly, the single share cost is as much as, or more than, the single supplement on these cruises depending on the cabin category. When I asked why, the HAL agent said that the share cabins are "better" ....

To me, an inside is an inside, and I cannot imagine paying so much more than the advertised rate to share a cabin.

Is this pricing gambit standard for the industry? Years ago I had a solo share on Carnival to Alaska, had a pleasant roommate, and paid a half double rate. Are those days gone?

In a word, yes, those days are gone. I believe that Holland America is the only mass market line that still offers a share program of any kind. Take the 150% single supplement, have a cabin all to yourself and enjoy Alaska!

I cannot imagine anyone willing paying the same to share with a stranger than they would to have the cabin to themselves. I agree with you Iowa Cruiser - to me an inside is an inside and I can't imagine how much "better" it could be to opt for the share programme.

Archived