laptop on cruise question

hpyoho

We will be taking our first cruise in June and was wondering what your thoughts are on taking our laptop. We will be leaving a 6 and 3 year old at home with Grandma. Since they are all ready computer wiz's I thought it might be a nice way to keep in touch, since I plan on turning off our cell's as soon as we board.

What are your thoughts? Or would it be easier to just use the ships internet? I just would like to check in once a day through email.

If you are just going to type up a quick, "Mommy and Daddy love you note," the ship's computers are fine. But if you are going to be spending a lot of time writing and reading email, better to bring a laptop. Computer / internet time is expensive. With your own computer, you can do all the writing and reading offline, with only a quick amount of time actually connected (be sure to read up on to do that with your software first.)

I'm the opposite - I take my laptop because I generally use it a lot on a cruise. Photo manipulation, writing, video production, etc. I tend to not buy ship's minutes as they want too much, so I take it ashore and find a net cafe and have a beer while I surf. Much cheaper that way.

What is the cost of wifi on the ship compared to just using their computers?

All I really want to do is the Mommy and Daddy love you type deal, like was mentioned earlier. Maybe tell them a little bit about what we have seen and read a letter from them, because I'm sure grandma will send one. I don't really need to check my other emails.

I will admit I am a bit of a Facebook addict but I think I can refrain from that if it costs too much. ;) I was also thinking it would be nice to download pictures on as I go. But I am sure I could survive if it is going to cost an arm and a leg to use the ships wifi.

All I really want to do is the Mommy and Daddy love you type deal, like was mentioned earlier. Maybe tell them a little bit about what we have seen and read a letter from them, because I'm sure grandma will send one. I don't really need to check my other emails.

I will admit I am a bit of a Facebook addict but I think I can refrain from that if it costs too much. ;) I was also thinking it would be nice to download pictures on as I go. But I am sure I could survive if it is going to cost an arm and a leg to use the ships wifi.

I believe it is the same whether you use their computers or your own.

Wifi and the internet cafe cost the same. There is a onetime setup fee of $3.95. Then you can either pay 75 cents per minute or buy a package. Packages are

$55 = 100 minutes

$75 = 150

$100 = 250

$175 = 500

sorrt those are on Princess. Other lines may vary

That depends on which cruise ship you are on.

For instance many carnival ships have wifi throughout the ship, some dont.

Below is Carnivals policy and price on WIFI:

Internet Café Price List :

To utilize the Internet service, the below options are available. Please note that the Internet pricing options are identical, whether an Internet Café terminal is utilized, or a laptop. All Internet access charges will be billed directly to the guest's onboard “Sail & Sign” Account. In addition, when using a Café terminal, files can be downloaded as "read only" but cannot be saved, since a floppy disk cannot be inserted into the PC's. Users who bring their own laptop can read and save files without restriction.An initial one-time Activation Fee of $3.95 applies to each user.

A basic time charge of $0.75 per minute (“Pay-As-You-Go”) is available. Minutes are rounded to the next full minute.

Discounted "Time Plans" offer guests the opportunity to enjoy a lower per-minute rate. These Time Plans do not have to be used in a single session and can be used anytime throughout the cruise until debarkation; No refund for unused minutes; Upgrading selected pricing option is not available. Plans are subject to change.

Cruises 6 days in length and longer:

• 100 minutes for $55.00 ($0.55 per minute)
  • 250 minutes for $100.00 ($0.40 per minute)

Cruises less than 6 days in length:

• 30 minutes for $16.50 ($0.55 per minute)
  • 60 minutes for $24.00 ($0.40 per minute)

If your personal laptop does not have built in Wi-Fi, you can rent a Wirless Radio Card on board. To rent a Wireless Radio Card for your personal laptop, the rate is $10.00 per day, optional insurance is $3.00 per day. This allows guests to connect their laptops to the ship's wireless signal and is in addition to the Internet price plans.

A limited number of laptops are available for rent for an additional $10.00 per day, or free with a Time Plan purchase; and optional insurance is also available.

You can check other Lines web site under there FAQ's I am sure they list the prices.

FYI: I carried my cell phone on my last cruise. I turned off the phone part but used the WIFI with some purchased minutes. I was able to read all my emails and reply to the one I really needed to. It worked out well for me.

Thanks everyone. I am cruising with Carnival. So thanks for the info. If the pricing is the same I will probably just use the cruise ships computers. I was just thinking maybe there would be a difference in the pricing.

We will be taking our first cruise in June and was wondering what your thoughts are on taking our laptop. We will be leaving a 6 and 3 year old at home with Grandma. Since they are all ready computer wiz's I thought it might be a nice way to keep in touch, since I plan on turning off our cell's as soon as we board.

What are your thoughts? Or would it be easier to just use the ships internet? I just would like to check in once a day through email.

I purchased an 8" laptop (netbook) and took it to Alaska. While in port, I purchased time from a port place online (it was one of my connection options). It was cheap and I could fire the laptop up in my cabin and check email and upload pics. The small size fit into my purse and into the cabin safe. It was a great purchase.

The only difference in cost is using the ship computers, you'd be charged while you are writing and reading your messages vs logging in, downloading your messages, logging off, composing your replies and logging back in.

AND it is really slow, both to log in and connect to anything. Took me longer to get to my e-mail than to read it and reply.

• 7 months later...
I plan on taking my laptop for the sole purpose of clearing the memory on my camera and video camera. Thankfully I won't need internet for that...will I?

No - you should have a cable that connects your camera to laptop. I always take my netbook and download my photos every day - easier to keep track of the "when - what - where". I also have an external hard drive to back up my pics - just in case.

I plan on taking my laptop for the sole purpose of clearing the memory on my camera and video camera. Thankfully I won't need internet for that...will I?

No, you will not need the internet to transfer pictures and videa from the camera to the laptop. No charge for that.

Archived