Advice needed first international flight to BCN

cruiselvr04

For those of you with experiance out there ...

I am thinking of booking Iberia out of JFK for a May 27th cruise to BCN. (2 Connections thru MAD is now just $530pp) We would fly to NewYork on FF miles with Southwest on the 22nd or 23rd. Stay overnight at an inexpensive hotel near JFK or LGA leaving on the 24th for BCN. Coming back we would need to spend the night again in NY and get a Southwest flight the next a.m. This would save us $1400 right now rather than using Delta or Continental less hotel expenses. ( Which by the airport is cheap - yes we would need to spend some for taxi's and food too.) Am I nuts to use 2 seperate airlines and 4 connections? My only fear is if our luggage wouldn't make it to NY how would it ever get to BCN. Do the airlines forward them in this case? Since I have never been to NYC it would be fun to spend a day there. (DH has been several times.) Any comments about the plan are welcome. I do understand we may not be able to pick our seats with Iberia - anything else I should know? Thanks in Advance!!

Your luggage will only be checked through if the two flights are codeshare partners or are booked on the same ticket reservation number. If you book the Southwest flights separately from the Iberia flights, you're responsible for your luggage.

If you feel good about the flights, and don't mind the extra connections and hotels and whatnot, go for it. Having been to NY a couple times though, by the time you add up the taxis and restaraunts and whatnot, it might be cheaper just to book with Delta or Continental.. ;)

WN doesn't have codeshares with anyone; you wouldn't have a choice but to book them separately. If your luggage didn't make it to NYC, no I don't believe WN would forward it onto your next airline. If this is a worry for you, can you make do with carry-ons? If not, most luggage makes it just fine.

To save money, use Priceline to bid on an airport hotel. I don't know of any that don't have free shuttles, and then you'd save money by not having to take a taxi there and then back to the airport. I can't imagine that you would spend $1400 on hotels, food and taxis!

You have an extra day, just in case. I wouldn't have a problem doing this. Coming from the west coast, to get to Europe I often have to make several connections. Last trip, I vowed I'd do it your way; get to the east coast, spend the night and then take a flight to Europe the next day.

...anything else I should know? Thanks in Advance!!

I personally don’t see anything wrong with your plan. But I will add a couple thoughts. Staying at a hotel by the airport is not the same thing as staying in downtown NY, so it may limit your actual time you have playing downtown. Second, when returning from Europe flying west, this is when jet lag kicks my butt and you may want to think about just getting the journey over without stopping for one night (JMHO). But everyone is different so YMMV.

Last trip, I vowed I'd do it your way; get to the east coast, spend the night and then take a flight to Europe the next day.

Wimp… :D(lol).

Wimp… :D(lol).

I'll admit to that! It's exhausting to have a 6:30 a.m. flight from the west coast, make one connection and then have to board a red eye on the east coast for the TATL flight.

My last one on (on CO :() I had a teenage boy in the middle seat (I was on the aisle). The flight was cramped, heat almost unbearable, and this kid kept falling asleep snoring, with his head on my shoulder and his hot and sweaty hand on my leg. I had to keep removing it, and he would put it right back. Not sure if this was accidental or on purpose :). No sleep makes a grouchy traveler.

...and this kid kept falling asleep snoring, with his head on my shoulder and his hot and sweaty hand on my leg. I had to keep removing it, and he would put it right back. Not sure if this was accidental or on purpose :).

Boys will be boys:D

Had a FA on my flight today from ZRH-IAD ask if I wanted anything more to drink after lunch I said "no thanks, I'm taking a nap now". She said "I wish I could" and I said "well come on, this lay-flat chair will fit both of us... (lol)

As I said, boys will be boys:D

We did an overnight at JFK and it wasn't my most favorite way to spend my time.

There is really nothing near the hotels. Not, like a previous poster wrote, anywhere near downtown NY

And then had to check out before noon and spend hours in the terminal waiting for our late flight.

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and booked the AA/Iberia flights and saved around $1000. (The AA flight over is non-stop.) We will spend some of that savings while in NYC but at least we get to do something with the money instead of just fly with it.

I got a 1:45 pm flight out of BCN which means we don't have to get off the shp before the sun comes up and can take our time somewhat. This worked out good. We will spend the night at the JFK airport before flying home the next day (I won't book an early flight.) Hope our bags make it back with us.

We will probably stay near LGA a night or two prior to going to BCN unless I can get one night downtown with Hilton points. Hotels are just to much in Manhatten. It's cheaper to cab over and back (which we will do just for one day) so one trip in and out of town. We could even get brave and take the subway. DH has been to NYC for business so knows his way around some. Any one ever do the Grayline for the day or should we do the hop on/hop off bus? Anyway thanks for the encouragement - we are stepping out of our comfort zone here.

I think you made a good decision. SW airlines has an excellent baggage record, so chances are overwhelmingly good your bags will make it to NY. We just got back three days ago from Barcelona and Madrid. Flew PHX to Dallas to Madrid on AA and right on to Barcelona on Iberia. Stayed 5 days in Barcelona. Flew Iberia from Barcelona back to Madrid (5 days there). Then AA from Madrid to Miami and back to PHX. This was all booked through AA.

All of the flights were pleasant. AA has strengthened its relationship with Iberia. We had no luggage problems. Were allowed a regular size carry-on plus the personal bag on both the AA and the Iberian flights. I think Code-sharing with AA has really improved the service on Iberia.

The Madrid and Barcelona airports are both excellent - outstanding architecturally and efficient. Good shops and facilities.

Have a great time.

If you are at all worried about your luggage not arriving a good tip would be to pack half your stuff in your suitcase and the other half in your partners suitcase and vice versa. Most likey if there is an issue it would only be with one suitcase and that way you would still have some of your stuff and not be completely out of luck.

But chances are there will be no issues so save the money and have a great time!

Archived