Thinking about solo on Celebrity

TessM

I just got back from my first Caribbean cruise - which was also my first non-solo cruise. I had a fabulous time on a 7 day eastern Caribbean on the Emerald Princess. It was my first balcony and since I had to pay 200%, I took my sister along (her first cruise) and we had a great time. Actually, I ended up with a mini-suite and it was wonderful.

What I learned is that I want to spend more time in port and I want either a longer cruise or one that is out of San Juan. I found (for Jan/Feb 2011) an 11 night cruise on Celebrity Millennium and the cost of a balcony looks great (much better deal than Princess). I've only cruised Princess and HAL so I haven't a clue about Celebrity. I know Lois is a BIG fan of Celebrity :) but I've just started researching this.

I'm looking at a concierge class on the Sky deck. I'm not sure what "Concierge class" is as my knowledge base of Celebrity is "nill" and my research is just starting but I'm guessing there are some perks involved.

So, anyone with experience with Celebrity, please chime in. Anything I need to consider when booking my cabin, any special things I should know about Celebrity? I'll be doing my research, but any special insights are appreciated.

Thanks!

Tess

Hi Tess:) yes, I love Celebrity. I sailed in January and will be going

again in May:D

Your 11 nights sounds great. The CC category gets high marks

from most people. If you check the Celebrity website you can see

what is offered when you book that category.

Maybe Darcie can help too....I think she books suites but maybe she

has also been in Concierge Class.

Celebrity now offers Select dining as well as traditional..that is 6:00

and 8:30. Select would be like Personal Choice on Princess (I think).

Where you go eat dinner at whatever time....

I prefer traditional, late dining as I enjoy have my same wait staff

each night:D

Hope this helps you a little bit.:)

I went on a solo in Concierge Class on the Celebrity Summit for a Southern Caribbean cruise from San Juan 2 years ago and had a great time.

Concierge class has a few amenities--flowers, hor d'ourves (which were disappointing), and I think a pillow menu (but I don't remember being asked, I think you have to ask to see it).

Celebrity runs a great cruise line; people tend to dress up more than on other lines. The food in the speciality restaurant was great--definitely treat yourself to a meal there.

There was a very large Spanish-speaking contingent on my cruise--I think they get a lot of Puerto Rican cruisers. One thing I was disappointed in was that Celebrity does not have a buffet for dinner--there is a salad bar, a pasta bar (a couple of pastas and sauces), and a pizza bar (again, a couple of choices). There was also a sit-down casual dining area with waiter service (and a requirement for reservations); I think it was free or only a few dollars. I would have preferred a buffet so I could get a quick bite.

Shows were great, but the bizarre costumes were distracting (it may be different on the Celebrity Millennium).

I think you'll have a great time on a Celebrity cruise.

As usual, you guys are great. I'm looking at dates and trying to decide between a 10-day and the 11-day. The 10 day goes to St. Maarten which I loved - but there were 7 ships in port and it was a traffic nightmare. I'd love to go again but I will definately check to see how many ships are in each port each day.

I love traditional 2nd seating too. And, I'll be reserving early enough so I won't have to deal with any wait lists. yay!

I ran out to our local cruise travel agent office and picked up a brochure yesterday. I saw the concierge perks and the list looks good. I like the fresh flowers as I usually buy an arrangement when I get on the ship. The arrangement I got on this past cruise was GORGEOUS and I only paid $48 for it. It was huge and still looked great when we checked out of the cabin. I'm sure that arrangment would have lasted at least 10 days.

A couple of questions....

Do Celebrity cabins have mini-fridges?

Is Celebrity good about honoring lower prices if the price drops before final payment? I'm not so worried about this as the prices right now seem incredibly low.

Thanks everyone!

As usual, you guys are great. I'm looking at dates and trying to decide between a 10-day and the 11-day. The 10 day goes to St. Maarten which I loved - but there were 7 ships in port and it was a traffic nightmare. I'd love to go again but I will definately check to see how many ships are in each port each day.

I love traditional 2nd seating too. And, I'll be reserving early enough so I won't have to deal with any wait lists. yay!

I ran out to our local cruise travel agent office and picked up a brochure yesterday. I saw the concierge perks and the list looks good. I like the fresh flowers as I usually buy an arrangement when I get on the ship. The arrangement I got on this past cruise was GORGEOUS and I only paid $48 for it. It was huge and still looked great when we checked out of the cabin. I'm sure that arrangment would have lasted at least 10 days.

A couple of questions....

Do Celebrity cabins have mini-fridges?

Is Celebrity good about honoring lower prices if the price drops before final payment? I'm not so worried about this as the prices right now seem incredibly low.

Thanks everyone!

Hi Tess,:) yes there are mini fridges in all cabins. And yes, Celebrity

will honar price drops too:D.

Ask for a singles table when booking. Also, make sure your TA will honor price reductions. Not all do. A lot of folks on this site felt CC was not worth the extra $$. I recently had an inside cabin on sky deck, loved the location, deck 12 Century.

Archived