Private tour companies for Helsinki, Copenhagen & Stockholm

wongri

Good morning CC friends,

I am researching private tour companies for our Baltic cruise on Celebrity Constellation this August. Would anyone have any contact info on tour companies that provide private tours in Helsinki, Copenhagen and Stockholm?

Any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Good morning CC friends, I am researching private tour companies for our Baltic cruise on Celebrity Constellation this August. Would anyone have any contact info on tour companies that provide private tours in Helsinki, Copenhagen and Stockholm? Any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

For our July 2008 tours in these three cities, I research your question and quickly found out for both Stockholm and Copenhagen that such private tours are very, very costly. The guides are government regulated and unionized in these two cities and their hourly cost can run $100 or so, plus, plus. You might consider a shorter am tour through your ship and then do the rest of the day on your own. All three are super wonderful places and are pretty easy to manage and see. Below are a few visual samples from our trip for what you can see and do there. What are your key interests in these three cities? Tell us more!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Uspenski Cathedral, Helsinki’s traditional Orthodox Church is placed on a solid stone base overlooking the main market:

1A-Helsinki-ChurchRock.jpg

In the heart of Stockholm’s historic old city with many outdoor dining places:

1A-Stockholm-OldCityHeart.jpg

The architecture of buildings along Stockholm’s historic waterfront:

1A-Stockholm-WaterfrontBldgs.jpg

The water, boat and unique architecture of Copenhagen's charming Tivoli:

1A-Copenhagen-TivoliB.jpg

Copenhagen's canal views and going under a bridge:

1A-Copenh-CanalViews.jpg

Here's the statute in front of the historic Christiansborg Palace that houses the parliament, prime minister, top courts, etc.:

1A-CPH-GovtBldgStatue.jpg

Wongri

Copenhagen - We used a private guide who took us all over the town and even up the coast. She did a great job - even took us to her house for lunch and a traditional Danish meal! She is a Danish citizen who also lives and owns a tour company out of Florida that does opera tours too. It was one other couple and my husband and I and we thought her tour was well worth the money. If you want to contact her for into, e-mail gnahat@europeanoperatours.com

Stockholm and Helsinki are really easy to do on your own. Helsinki has a tram that is easy to ride and very cost effective and Stockholm has the Stockholm card that makes it easy to get around. So sorry - can't help you out there on tour companies.

Good morning CC friends,

I am researching private tour companies for our Baltic cruise on Celebrity Constellation this August. Would anyone have any contact info on tour companies that provide private tours in Helsinki, Copenhagen and Stockholm?

Any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Is there a particular reason why you want private tours in these cities??> As was already said, they are VERY easy to do on your own.

Terry has already mentioned that private tour guides are very expensive.

When we were doing our research, we were dead set against taking any ship excursions, but we wanted to make sure we saw all the main sites. I know Copenhagen has private tour companies where you would just ride a bus as the sight seeing thing and they will take you around. You can also combine that with the canal boat tour from Nyhaven. We decided at the last minute to do everything on our own and we accomplished this. I am NOT a big time walker, but taking it easy, and never rushing around, we had a ball just wandering the streets of the various cities.

Terry has already given you a great snapshot of what to expect in some of the cities. Here are a few more examples of these marvelous cities and what you will want to see.

In Helsinki, you will want to start out in Market Square where you can buy almost anything from the many vendors there.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1150.jpg

In Stockholm, you cross over many such bridges, this one to get to the Vasa Museum

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1235.jpg

In Copenhagen, this is where you go to get the canal boat tours, the Nyhaven section. Just a wonderful place to eat and hang out

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster248.jpg

In Stockholm, one of the royal guards by the Royal Palace. From here you can watch the Changing of the guard ceremony every day at noon

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1255.jpg

In Copenhagen you WILL want to stroll down the Stroget, which is the 5 block area that makes up the heart of Copenhagen's shopping district.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster285.jpg

From Market Square in Helsinki, you can take the ferry to the island fortress of Suomenlinna. From the ferry, looking back at the skyline of Helsinki with the Lutheran church dominating that view.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1121.jpg

Try this site for some tours from Copenhagen

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/content/tourist/what_to_see_and_do/tours_and_excursions

Cheers

Len

Thanks all for your replies.

The reason I was looking into private tours is we are a group 42 - 76 years old.

Thought we would be able to see more at a pace that is good for all.

We would be interested in the highlights of the city and the ladies also would like to spend some time shopping.

So with your information I will research doing this on our own.

Happy Friday all and thanks again!

Rita

Rita,

Another suggestion for a tour guide in Copenhagen is the one given by Hans Christian Anderson. Actually, his name is Richard Karpen, an American who visited Denmark and never left.

He offers private tours for 1000 DKK (about $185 or so depending on the current exchange rate). I believe this is the total amount, otherwise I will probably stick with his regularly scheduled walk. This might be a good option as he not only gives information on the sites but also information on Denmark in general such as their culture, religion, education system etc.

I'm hoping to possibly arrange a tour once I have figured out exactly what I can squeeze in. Our visit to Copenhagen will be packed, just like the days in St. Petersburg. Our group of four ranges in age between 47and 71.

http://www.copenhagenwalks.com/1024x768/ph_General.htm

Good Luck,

Sheal (Lori)

We have booked our Helsinki tour with Ahti Arak. We are touring at the end of June, so I can give you a review upon our return.... if that's not too late! All I can say so far is that he has been very very helpful making up an itinerary for us (there will be 8ppl on the trip) and the price was better than donig a ship's tour.

• 2 months later...

To es 2009

We are doing some preliminary inquiries with Ahit Arak for a Porvoo-Helsinki tour next year.

Hope you will let us know how you made out. Can you tell us whether or not a deposit was required, and if so, how much? - As well as the cost of the tour.

Any other info would be appreciated. You must be close to sailing - hope you have a great trip and thanks in advance.

We did a private tour in Helsinki this year. We knew we could do Helsinki on our own, but we also knew we'd be there about 15 hours after leaving St. Petersburg and didn't want to have to navigate a new city while we were tired (we also docked at the pier that was slightly further out).

We used Paolo Tours (www.paulostours.com). He picked us up pier-side in a very nice, new van. He then took us on a city tour in which we went by the president and prime minister's residence and the Sibelious monument. We then went up to the Orthodox cathedral, the Rock Church, and up the Olympic Tower (we were lucky to be there on a very clear day) and then completed the city tour. We then had about an hour to wander and shop. (Go to Fazer's...delicious pastries and a nice bathroom).

We then drove to Porvoo (it was about 30-40 minutes away). We walked through the town (cute) and went up to the small church and then had time to shop and eat. There were some very nice shops in Porvoo, not kitchy souvenir shops but design, clothing, and hat shops.

We then drove back into Helsinki. There was time to explore on our own, but we were still tired from St. P so we just went back to the ship and crashed.

Paolo was very nice and very flexible. He did most of his "guiding" from the van and then released us into the church or site to explore on our own. I actually really enjoyed this so that once we reached the site we could explore it, not huddle around him. On the drive to Porvoo he talked about the history of Finland and what it is like to live there today. On the way back, he talked a lot more about his personal experience about being a foreigner, a small business owner, and a tour guide in Finland. Some in our group were turned off by this, but I liked the first person account. Some people might find his guiding a little "thin," but, frankly, Helsinki is a little thin (especially the day after St. P). I personally enjoyed him quite a lot and I think he gave an appropriate introduction to the city.

Compared to the cruise line, we thought his prices were extremely reasonable for six people. He did require a deposit of 10% (I think), but it is fully refundable up to 48 hours before the tour and if the ship doesn't dock.

princessebird - thank you for the info on Paulo.

I will email him for a quote for our group of 5 as we have not booked anything for Helsinki yet.

Did you take tour in Stockholm? We would like to see Vasa and were thinking of taking a taxi from the pier if readily available.

Wiseoldowl - sorry for the delay in reply. . I have been away.

We booked private tours with SPB for St. Petersburg & Berlin and Celebrity cruise tour of Russian Court Evening which we did 12 years ago on Crystal. It was a super evening tour which we really enjoyed.

See below pricing that Ahtik sent me. I will check pricing of Paulo as per above and let you know what I find out.

I can rent modern van with driver for your tour.

Price for 3-4 hour long city tour: 630 Euros

Price for 6 hour long tour (city tour of Helsinki + Suomenlinna sea fortress, excursion of the fortress will be provided by fortress guide)-890 Euros

Price for 6 hour long tour without Suomenlinna- 790 Euros

Helsinki and Porvoo- 980 Euros.

Alternative option- I will be your driver/guide. Tour fee- 500 Euro for your group. The price includes my personal guide/driver service, a van (Renault Traffic or similar).

Length of the tour does not influence on the price- it does not matter how long or short tour do you like to do, my fee will be same.

If you want to use my service in both cities (Tallinn and Helsinki) and if you are agree to send a deposit 150 Euro for Helsinki, you can reduce the fee 10 %. And you can reduce balance according to the costs to send a deposit.

Balance will be paid in cash after the tour.

If you buy Rick Steves 'Scandinavia' book, which covers Helsinki, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, and Tallin, you will see how easy it is to do this cities on your own, especially Copenhagen and Tallin.

Look at it at your local bookstore, and see what you think. :o

I will email him for a quote for our group of 5 as we have not booked anything for Helsinki yet.

Did you take tour in Stockholm? We would like to see Vasa and were thinking of taking a taxi from the pier if readily available.

No problem...glad I could help. We docked in Nynashamn, not Stockholm, so we took a ship-based shore excursion (blah). We did Copenhagen and Tallinn on our own...very, very easy. In Copenhagen I recommend going to Nyhavn and taking a Netto Canal tour (http://www.netto-baadene.dk/), not a DFDS Canal Tour. The routes are all but identical and the Netto tour is half as expensive and the guide was really great (very funny and spoke excellent English). They took DKK and Euro, though it was cheaper if you paid in DKK.

princessebird - Perfect. . .I was going to take DFDS Canal Tour but will now look for Netto Canal tour.

Big thanks for the web link very useful. I will print and take with me.

RedRover101 - thanks for the tip. I will check out the Rick Steves book at the book store and purchase as you recommend. It will be fun exploring on our own.

We have booked our Helsinki tour with Ahti Arak. We are touring at the end of June, so I can give you a review upon our return.... if that's not too late! All I can say so far is that he has been very very helpful making up an itinerary for us (there will be 8ppl on the trip) and the price was better than donig a ship's tour.

I got some prices from him for Helsinki and Porvoo and it came to about $152 pp for 7 hours. The RCCL Jewel charges 139 with lunch for 7 hours for the same thing. I am wondering if anyone has experience with either. Ship gives me security about being back in time, but very rigid on stops where Ahti Arak is flexible. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Wiseoldowl - sorry for the delay in reply. . I have been away.

We booked private tours with SPB for St. Petersburg & Berlin and Celebrity cruise tour of Russian Court Evening which we did 12 years ago on Crystal. It was a super evening tour which we really enjoyed.

See below pricing that Ahtik sent me. I will check pricing of Paulo as per above and let you know what I find out.

I can rent modern van with driver for your tour.

Price for 3-4 hour long city tour: 630 Euros

Price for 6 hour long tour (city tour of Helsinki + Suomenlinna sea fortress, excursion of the fortress will be provided by fortress guide)-890 Euros

Price for 6 hour long tour without Suomenlinna- 790 Euros

Helsinki and Porvoo- 980 Euros.

Alternative option- I will be your driver/guide. Tour fee- 500 Euro for your group. The price includes my personal guide/driver service, a van (Renault Traffic or similar).

Length of the tour does not influence on the price- it does not matter how long or short tour do you like to do, my fee will be same.

If you want to use my service in both cities (Tallinn and Helsinki) and if you are agree to send a deposit 150 Euro for Helsinki, you can reduce the fee 10 %. And you can reduce balance according to the costs to send a deposit.

Balance will be paid in cash after the tour.

I am very leary about giving anyone almost $200 in advance. Does he only work with deposits? Anyone have experience with him?

Thanks

When I booked our private St. Petersburg tour, returning to the ship on time was a big worry.

Someone else on these boards pointed out to me that the private tour companies make sure you get back on time, because they rely on word of mouth for their business. Thus, if someone were to miss the boat, word would get around and that would be the end of their tour business! If it makes you feel better, tell him you need to be back at the ship 1.5 hrs. earlier than scheduled so you have built in slack time.

On a ship excursion, you are only going to move as quickly as the slowest person on the excursion. Bathroom stops can take forever because of the numbers of people. You might get a good guide, you might not. You might get a guide who is more interested in taking the group shopping rather than touring. With a private tour, you call the shots.

I know what you mean about the deposit . . that is why I did not use certain tour companies. I do not feel comfortable giving a considerable amount for deposit especially since we are a group of 5.

RedRover101 - Just bought the Rick Steves Scandinavia book as suggested.

That will be my reading for the week. Thanks for the suggestion.

stubbornoldowl - Let me know how you do with Ahti.

princessebird - in Provoo did you have the traditional Finnish lunch Paulo mentioned?

We booked the same tour as you but arrive in St. P the day after Helsinki.

Did most of the stores take euros?

princessebird - in Provoo did you have the traditional Finnish lunch Paulo mentioned?

We booked the same tour as you but arrive in St. P the day after Helsinki.

Did most of the stores take euros?

Actually, Finland is on the Euro, so every store will take the Euro, though we used credit cards for major purchases (including at Fazer's, the wonderful pastry/coffee shop). We didn't have the lunch...actually, he didn't mention that to us as an option. Plus, we really aren't fish people.

I agree that it sometimes hard to put down a deposit, but I also look at it from an operator's perspective. If they offer private tours and take your word that you'll show up and then you don't, they are out because they have reserved that date for you. I've taken about 20 private tours or transfers off a cruise ship based on reviews from cruise critic (and most require a deposit or a credit card number) and I've never had one fail me.

Just got confirmation on our tour witrh Paulo.

We paid the 20% deposit by Paypal and it is refundable should we cancel within 48 hours minus 10E admin fee which is reasonable. I do not mind paying a small deposit but with some operators I have been asked for half of the tour cost which I am not comfortable to do - especially if I have to give them my credit card. Paypal works well in these instances.

We will definately have to check out Fazer's for the pastries. . I have a fmaily that loves to eat!! And we love seafood so may try the lunch in Porvoo.

Thanks again for your recommendation and info on Paulo. We will be touring with him August 27th.

Did you do your own touring in Stockholm and Copenhagen?

We would like to take the boat cruise you recommended and also take David, my cousin to see Vasa which we went to on our last cruise to the Baltic 12 years ago.

I understand the ship has a shuttle or did you see any taxis waiting at the pier?

May be easier for us to grab a taxi and faster too.

I am corresponding with Ahti Arak right now about a possible tour and agree with Kugel about the deposit. I am going to raise that issue with him and will let you know. I'm afraid it will be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks please let me know on this board or you can email me at barley928 at aol dot com.

Would like to know how you make out.

Just got confirmation on our tour witrh Paulo.

We paid the 20% deposit by Paypal and it is refundable should we cancel within 48 hours minus 10E admin fee which is reasonable. I do not mind paying a small deposit but with some operators I have been asked for half of the tour cost which I am not comfortable to do - especially if I have to give them my credit card. Paypal works well in these instances.

We will definately have to check out Fazer's for the pastries. . I have a fmaily that loves to eat!! And we love seafood so may try the lunch in Porvoo.

Thanks again for your recommendation and info on Paulo. We will be touring with him August 27th.

Can you give me info on Paulo please. I also like to do private tours because time is not as strict as on a ship tour. If I want a few minutes more in one place and willing to give it up in another a private tour guide will do that.

Archived