Current Info on Whisper

Bolshoi

Greetings,

My wife, sister, and I have booked on the Whisper for the 16 Aug - 23 Aug Baltic cruise (voyage 4024). The web shows dining options as La Terrazza, The Restuarant, Le Champagne, and the Pool Grille. The deck plan on the web shows a 'Humidor' located adjacent to Le Champagne. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Humidor has changed, but can't remember how.

Anyway... can recent passengers on Whisper share their experiences regarding dining options, entertainment, and any other comments on the public venues? This is our first voyage with SS (and only our 2nd cruise ever) so we will appreciate any insights.

Bolshoi

Hi Bolshoi, Getting on the Whisper this afternoon, so will let you have an up to date report later this week.

Bon voyage Silver Spectre! Look forward to hearing all about it when u get back.

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

We disembarked the Whisper in Hong Kong on 4 March after 18 days cruising from HK to Vietnam, Singapore, Borneo and Manila.

For the first 9 days the ship was virtually full and in the evening the dining room was well used too. The Terrazza was not full at any time and the evening meal there is more romantic than in the dining room and always italian. The Humidor is still there (for smokers, obviously). The Pool Grill was open when the weather allowed and there is space for about 30 people to eat under the stars. No hot stones yet but a good grill with fish, prawns, lamb chops and fabulous steak.

:)

Currently sailing away from Penang and towards Phuket. Yes, the Humidor still exists and is being used, and yes thankfully smokers are still allowed on the ship (and no I do not smoke).

Approx 350 pax on board, Cruise Director is Sam Perry. A few staff from the Shadow last year are also on board.

Pool Grill has 30 guests tonight, the first night it is full.

Only moan so far is the change made to the menu structure of the Terraza, much preferred the original regional cuisine. Will eat there on Friday and see how the change is bedding in.

One other thing, there is no more Brancott, its been replaced by Dashwood.

Silver Spectre,

Lots of folks are booked on future Whsiper cruises and we can't find much information.....We are booked for S.A. next January. So lots of details:) would be much appreciated.

We're booked January 20 BA to FLL. Will you be on that departure? It's a bit early to start a roll call, but I'm tempted to do so.

:) Good morning Silver Spectre,

Just disembarked the Whisper in Singapore. Had a wonderful trip. Please give my best wishes to a couple of staff.

Donato-Head Waiter

Ali- Maitre D.

Rose-The Bar singer (she is fantastic)

Alvin-our favourite waiter (La Terrazza at night, The Restaurant (breakfast and lunch). You must request his section and tell Alvin that Scott and Jay from Toronto send you.

Enjoy all the Whisper has to offer.......we did.

Scott Toronto

We're booked January 20 BA to FLL. Will you be on that departure? It's a bit early to start a roll call, but I'm tempted to do so.

Go ahead, Emtbsam, start that roll call. My DH and I will be boarding in Valparaiso on Feb. 5.

:) Good morning Silver Spectre,

Just disembarked the Whisper in Singapore. Had a wonderful trip. Please give my best wishes to a couple of staff.

Donato-Head Waiter

Ali- Maitre D.

Rose-The Bar singer (she is fantastic)

Alvin-our favourite waiter (La Terrazza at night, The Restaurant (breakfast and lunch). You must request his section and tell Alvin that Scott and Jay from Toronto send you.

Enjoy all the Whisper has to offer.......we did.

Scott Toronto

Ali & Rose both say hi back.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from Singapore-Dubai March 12-March 30 aboard Whisper. PRAISES:

1. SERVICE was excellent overall, and Ali (head waiter) was excellent in that he was involved, always visible and making sure everythng was running to perfection, friendly and professional, and Francois (assistant to Ali) also excellent; waiter Singh was our favorite because he joked around with us, could read our wants before we even spoke them; the sommerliers (Robin and his team) were extremely knowledgeable, professional and always eager to work with us to find wines we liked (complimentary no less, never trying to steer us to the premiums); other wonderful staff include pool bartender Aldrin and bar bartender Oliver (who also has a fabulous singing voice, so make sure you don't miss that treat); and all waiters quickly learned our habits, but I like to think we are relatively easy; and I saw staff remain polite, professional and courteous with demanding, rude passengers.

2. Gym - despite complaints from other passengers about low ceiling and small size, I found it quite adequate (comparer to the Wind and Seabourn's small sister ships), and was often the only one there, so it suited me fine.

NEGATIVES:

1. Ship old and tired - upholstery and carpeting threadbare, and furnishings old. Bed sheet was torn, and I requested a new one, but it was simply turned around. Maitenance was uneven at best -- lights that didn't work had to be reported by us as neither our housekeeper nor butler apparently noticed (which they would have on Seabourn);

2. Rarely saw any officers - just saw F&B officer who was wonderful in that he was always friendly and communicative and seemed to really enjoy meeting and chatting with passengers, but all other officers were missing, and Hotel Director was visible but aloof.

3. Shore excursions were all poor in that the tours did not appear to deliver what had been described, and were overpriced for what was offered - for instance, each tour was approx $100 - $200 pp, but compare that to a private tour we arranged in Mumbai through Mumbai Magic for 8 people at $55 pp/$110 a couple for 8 full hours, including full Indian lunch, and saw more sites than were offered by any other SS tour; and the Leandro was disinterested and simply unpleasant; Sean was nice enough, but didn't know much -- he was most recently a Verizon salesman, so I question SS' criteria, especially since SS touts itself as a high-end product and therefore it should fill positions with knowledgeable, talented personnel, not a kid out of an unrelated retail market;

4. Port lecturer was just awful - all he did was READ from the tour descriptions in the SS guide, he offered no additional information whatsover, and there were no lectures for first or last port - which, as it turns out, was no loss considering the lack of any information he had to offer.

5. Potato chips -- seriously, would rather do without than have low end potato chips. But on the other hand, nuts were plentiful (so why dimish with low end junk food, even if they were, in all fairness, Pringles?).

OVERALL:

It was better than expected given our previous sailing on the Wind, but still not on the level of Seabourn, so we will return to Seabourn now that it offers more varied itineraries; we selected SS this time around for the itinerary.

Archived