Photo Secrets: Getting Better on Silversea Upcoming Cruise?

TLCOhio

Hi Terry, As you know, I too am a huge fan of your wonderful photography. ( I just bought Polar Obsession by Paul Nicklen, National Geographic photographer. You would enjoy this book, I'm sure). Carolyn

Hi Terry!!! I have been hoping to talk to you!! I've seen many of your posts and BEAUTIFUL pictures!! I would love if you would share the information that you have on the ports! thank you!! I have been reading anything I can find on these boards about Norway and Silversea and it has been so helpful. My husband just got some new lenses for his digital SLR, so if you have any tips on picture taking that would be wonderful (I assume by your pictures that you are not an amateur. I will definitely be following the posts - thanks again!

THANKS to both Carolyn and Laura! I started this new thread to answer these questions and share some ideas from our past two cruises. We are getting ready to do the Norway Coast, fjords and the Land of the Midnight Sun on the Silver Cloud July 1-16, 2010. I hope to do postings as we travel, plus a summary report. With lots of pictures!!! Below are a few sample pictures to share from our first two cruises. We did Seabourn in June 2006 for the Greek Isles and Turkish Coast and Crystal in late July 2008 for the Baltics and Russia.

Photo secrets? It's a little more than just the "camera". It's a Nikon D50 SLR. Good, but not at the super pro level. Lots of people have cameras at and near that quality or comparable. These days, the digital technology has improved so much that nearly everyone can take good to great pictures. Here are some of my tips, secrets and suggestions to share. I found taking cruise and travel pictures is fun, plus much, much cheaper than shopping for souvenirs.

1. ZOOM/FRAMING: Fill the frame and make it interesting. Use your feet. Move closer. Zoom in or out. Make it tighter in the picture frame, etc. People don't want to be bored with a key subject or highlight being only in the middle 15% of the picture frame.

2. LENS: Many of the nice pictures in certain famed palaces and churches in Russia, etc., were taken with a new 10-20 mm lens that gives a wider angle view than average. That really helped create some picture "drama" without being too wide and distorted as can happen with a fish-eye lens. There are cases where that longer lens (have a 70-300 mm zoom) can really help. In many cases, my basic 18-55 mm zoom covers the middle range. It's nice to have one lens that covers all needs, but then you lose some in the desired picture quality.

3. LOTS OF PICTURES: With digital, it is much easier and cheaper to take lots of pictures, see what you have, take more pictures, try different angles, etc. In the old 35 mm film days, you could not take as many different pictures and you were always guessing and hoping on exposure, what you really captured, etc. Then you need to be checking as you go on what you just shot, blow off the duds, etc. It's great instant feed-back on what's working and what's not. As you are riding on a bus, waiting in line, that picture checking is a good way to both pass the time and monitor your picture progress/success (or failure).

4. STEADY HOLD: I mostly use the eyepiece viewer, not the back of camera viewing screen. That keeps the camera closer to my body and makes it more stable. Use your elbows against your body to brace the camera. I'll lean against walls or doorframes when taking certain inside pictures in low light situations to improve . . . stability! You don't want blurred and shaky pictures. Set the camera on walls, chairs, etc. Stability! Some think that if they push the button faster to take the picture, then it will be better. WRONG! Gently S-Q-U-E-E-Z-E that shutter button, slowly! It makes a major difference in picture quality.

5. PEOPLE: Having people as a part of the picture gives it context, interest, etc. Lots of "just the place" pictures are nice, but I have found that the ones with some human involvement and/or connection look and work better.

What are your secrets and tips, questions and reactions to share for better photographic success?

Appreciate the interest and comments. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Our first views of Istanbul from our just docking cruise ship as we smell the sweet blend of this historic Turkish city:

1A-Istanbul-Harbor.jpg

Harbor view in Mykonos and one of the charming windmills:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

Viewing one of the two da Vinci masterpieces at the Hermitage. There are only 17 such painting by this artist existing in the world:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

Inside Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg with its spectacular reception room, painted ceiling, gold, etc. The new 10-20mm wide angle lens captures things well in this low-light situation:

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

The main, historic fortress where many cruise ships dock in Oslo:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

A guard and statue in front of the Royal Palace in Copenhagen:

1-CPH-PalaceonWalk.jpg

Terry, am just a point & click digital cam guy..but sincerely appreciate u taking

the time to post these photo tips/secrets--Thank you. I enjoy looking at your

beautiful pix.

Terry, thank you again for your advice a few months ago on ways to post photos on the forum. Using photobucket after resizing with photoshop allowed quick uploads and easy posting of links to lots of my Silver Spirit photos on the "all things spirit" thread last month. Thanks for de-mystifying things! (And thanks for giving Col. Wes your tips. You should have seen him trying to insert that film cartridge into his digital camera.)

Dieter

Hi Terry

I really enjoy reading your tips...thankx very much.

Did u use a polarising filter on the Mykonos shot?...I just wondered because it is so lovely & blue.

I'm about to buy a new camera...I'm looking at a compact with a big zoom only because they are light and won't break my neck or shoulder to carry them around. The optical zoom is x14...do u think this is sufficient for taking wildlife and panorama shots from helicopters...or wud i need something more like x20 or x26?

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Hi Terry. I really enjoy reading your tips...thankx very much. Did u use a polarising filter on the Mykonos shot?...I just wondered because it is so lovely & blue. I'm about to buy a new camera...I'm looking at a compact with a big zoom only because they are light and won't break my neck or shoulder to carry them around. The optical zoom is x14...do u think this is sufficient for taking wildlife and panorama shots from helicopters...or wud i need something more like x20 or x26?

Cheers. Jennifer (ging466)

THANKS to Col. Wes and Wellseasoned for the nice comments on my pictures! On the polarizing filter questions, YES, I plead guilty to using that filter for bright, sunny days. It really helps get a nicer contrast on your pictures under these circumstances with lots of sun, especially in water areas.

On your question about optical zoom, I worry a little about how much you can "PUSH" such optical zoom factors. Part of it depends on how much of a pixel level will this camera have and what do you want to do with these pictures after taking them. How much you enlarge them? It's amazing what the newer digital cameras are doing, but I would talk with several different camera store experts. Doing super optical zooms and digital blow-ups look better when done by super pro's under "test" conditions. In real life, you might be disappointed. Many of today's SLR/single lens reflex cameras are much, much lighter and might be worth considering, also. Take your time and ask all of the right questions. Below are some examples of using longer lens to get more details when taking pictures in Europe.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Double-Eagle on Top of Kremlin State Palace built in 1961 for Communist Party congresses in Moscow. This was shot with a longer lens to get the details closer:

1A-Moscow-DoubleEagle.jpg

On the ceilings of the Church of Spilled Blood in St. Petersburg, here are two different examples of its highly-detailed designs shot with a hand-held, longer lens:

1A-StP-Spilled3Bld.jpg

1A-StP-Spilled2Bld.jpg

One of the gold-covered towers of the Palace at the Peterhof shot with a longer lens:

1A-StP-PeterhofTowers.jpg

A tighter shot showing design details of wall art works at the Spilled Blood Cathedral in St. Petersburg:

1A-StP-Spilled4Bld.jpg

Hi Terry

Amazing photos...such clarity. Do u recall the length of the lens u used?

Actually I'm very envious of your Russian photos. I was in Russia in 1982 and at the Polish-Russian border my films were confiscated and I was unable to find/buy any more film until I got to Finland. :mad: Therefore, no pics of anywhere in Russia...only the memories in my head.

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Wonderful pictures!! Do you take a tripod with you anywhere?

On our last vacation we took lots of night pictures where a tripod was necessary because of how long the shutter is open???(I think).

Do you ever use them from the ship or in port? I wonder if that would get in people's way?

Thanks again for the pictures, I love looking at them.

Laura

Hi Terry. Amazing photos...such clarity. Do u recall the length of the lens u used? Actually I'm very envious of your Russian photos. I was in Russia in 1982 and at the Polish-Russian border my films were confiscated and I was unable to find/buy any more film until I got to Finland. :mad: Therefore, no pics of anywhere in Russia...only the memories in my head. Cheers. Jennifer (ging466)

Wonderful pictures!! Do you take a tripod with you anywhere? On our last vacation we took lots of night pictures where a tripod was necessary because of how long the shutter is open???(I think). Do you ever use them from the ship or in port? I wonder if that would get in people's way? Thanks again for the pictures, I love looking at them. Laura

THANKS to Laura and Jennifer for the nice and kind comments! On the question of lens, I have two Nikon lens. Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm f3.5-55mm, 52 mm filter and Nikkor AF 70-300mm f4.0-5.6, 62 mm filters. The wide angle I got for this trip is a Sigma 10-20mm, f4.0-5.6 that works super great.

On tripods, I have two of them, but have not used them much, if any, on these travel trips. Lots of extra weight to mess with. I've had very good luck, especially now with digital cameras in doing so well under low light situations. As noted in the tips: "I'll lean against walls or doorframes when taking certain inside pictures in low light situations to improve . . . stability! Set the camera on walls, chairs, etc. Stability!" You are right that tripods can be a problem that can be a hassle or safety problem to others. In many of these "busy places", people are looking up or around, not always watching out for such "hazards" that can get in their way.

Other reactions and thoughts? Appreciate the questions and interest. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived