Gander, Newfoundland........ Does a cruise

sail7seas

I saw reference on this board during the tv Olympic coverage of an NBC piece re: Gander, Newfoundland and the amazing generosity and hospitality of the people from Gander. These people were so good to all who needed them on 9-11. They exemplified the very best of human kind.

MSNBC is replaying that piece right now and got me feeling I really want to visit there and personally thank those fine people.

Wouldn't it be great if Maasdam stopped there on her annual Viking cruise?

Gander is well inland, it is not a port city. The airport was very busy during World War 2, where it was a refueling stop for aircraft headed to/from Europe. There is an interesting museum at the airport, which we visited in 2000.

Having spent two weeks in Newfoundland last summer in our RV, I can attest that all the Newfies are just as hospitable and worthy of your visiting! They are wonderful and live on a gorgeous island often under difficult circumstances. Their music and stories are wonderful. Enjoy whatever part of Newfoundland you can on a cruise...we're visiting on our Eurodam this summer and i can't wait to see it again...even briefly. I just wish they could get Anchors Aweigh to come on board for some wonderful entertainment! If you get to Newfoundland you'll find them in Rocky Harbour singing several nights a week.

By the way, we did stay in Gander...can't get a ship there :)

Jan

I saw reference on this board during the tv Olympic coverage of an NBC piece re: Gander, Newfoundland and the amazing generosity and hospitality of the people from Gander. These people were so good to all who needed them on 9-11. They exemplified the very best of human kind.

MSNBC is replaying that piece right now and got me feeling I really want to visit there and personally thank those fine people.

Are you doing the 35 day Voyage of the Vikings this year?

I still wish they would do a shorter round trip from Boston (probably a btb) with Greenland, Iceland and Newfoundland. We are looking for something 10-14 nights. I mentioned this on this board over a year ago, maybe 2 years. But HAL just doen't add many new itineraries, so they are loosing us to other cruise lines. I looked at Europe and the Med for 2011 and ports pretty much remain the same. I hope Seattle is reading.

Having spent two weeks in Newfoundland last summer in our RV
Jan, wish we had went to Newfoundland when we had our motorhome but never got around to doing that. I know you all had a great time.

We stopped at Corner Brook, Newfoundland last fall on our Canada and New England cruise aboard the Eurodam. That was a real treat for me for I was station there and all over Newfoundland in the mid 50's. I was with the USAF and my job was maintained a phone cable that ran across the island. Back in those days there were no roads across the island. The only way to travel to Gander and across the island was air or rail. I rode the "Newfie Bullet" quite often. Those two years in Newfoundland was the best duty I had. I loved the Newfie people.

We would like a cruise that stopped at St Johns, Newfoundland for I also spent a lot of time there.

DSC05520.jpg.45482a353e14a5371191befa64f24d75.jpg

I still wish they would do a shorter round trip from Boston (probably a btb) with Greenland, Iceland and Newfoundland. We are looking for something 10-14 nights. I mentioned this on this board over a year ago, maybe 2 years. But HAL just doen't add many new itineraries, so they are loosing us to other cruise lines. I hope Seattle is reading.

I'd be really interested in a cruise with those ports.

Another vote for that from here! But, in the summer please! The North Atlantic any other time scares me. What a fabulous itinerary this would be for 14 days, with overnight stops in Iceland!

Seattle, are you there?? Do you hear us???

I still wish they would do a shorter round trip from Boston (probably a btb) with Greenland, Iceland and Newfoundland. We are looking for something 10-14 nights.

We would really like that! Starting anywhere from Canada or New England. Prefer 14 nights.

We don't like the long flights from over seas.

Another vote for that from here! But, in the summer please! The North Atlantic any other time scares me. What a fabulous itinerary this would be for 14 days, with overnight stops in Iceland!

Seattle, are you there?? Do you hear us???

I think they would have to do that in the summer. It would be too cold...even for a Canadian:D.

Sail...........Tom Brokaw did a wonderful report on that and am happy to learn that it has been shown again.

DH and I were introduced to the wonderful people of Newfoundland while on a cruise which left from NYC and covered quite a few places along the coast and their hospitality was unbelievable. We were again reminded of that when our Transatlantic made a stop in Cornerbrook last year.

Since our first introduction, we have done a land tour twice. Roads are not plentiful and neither are accommodations, but the trip is so very worthwhile. Young folk will appreciate the rugged beauty for hikes, etc and the beaches are uncrowded.

There is a cruise being offered this year, details here: On the Trail of the Vikings

Ship: The Hanseatic

Halifax; Charlottetown; Saint Lawrence; Saguenay; Quebec; Bay of Islands; Norris Point; Battle Harbour; L’Anse aux Meadows; St. Anthony; Twillingate; St. John’s; St. Pierre; Louisbourg; Halifax

Dates: May 29 – June 14, 2010

Are you doing the 35 day Voyage of the Vikings this year?

I still wish they would do a shorter round trip from Boston (probably a btb) with Greenland, Iceland and Newfoundland. We are looking for something 10-14 nights. I mentioned this on this board over a year ago, maybe 2 years. But HAL just doen't add many new itineraries, so they are loosing us to other cruise lines. I looked at Europe and the Med for 2011 and ports pretty much remain the same. I hope Seattle is reading.

No, Jade, we aren't doing the Viking cruise. DH is not retired and couldn't possibly be out of his office that long.

I'd love the cruise you describe and you could definitely sign us up for it. Would be a wonderful itinerary.

Aren't you doing the Montreal to Boston segment this summer?

It would truly be amazing since this area is inland!

Olefin32...we are taking a repositioning cruise that leaves from Amsterdam (Aug. 19) on the Eurodam and will stop at the St. John's harbor in Newfoundland...eager to do it, since, as you, we found it a gorgeous place!

You sure had a lovely place to be stationed...with or without roads!

Jan

I saw the TV piece as well, and it brought me to tears. I love that part of the world.

I'm not much for cruises longer than 7 days, but count me in on a shorter-than-the-

Vikings cruise. 35 days is out of the question, but I might be able to talk my sisters into caregiving duties for two weeks. Actually, land packages to Iceland aren't that expensive. I've thought about it, but cruising offers more bang for the buck right now.

We did a transatlantic a number of years ago on Princess, I think it was 12-14 days. We started in Copenhagen, circled the British Isles, then to Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland and New York.

It was great, only rough seas I remember was between Greenland and Newfoundland. (This was in late September-early October.)

We have family in St. John so they picked us up at the ship and we visited with them for the hours we were there. We had taken a "road trip" there before, driving from Alabama to Nova Scotia and taking a ferry to the Cornerbrook area. Great trip!

If you go, you're bound to enjoy it. Like someone said, the people are great.:)

I also watched this show and it made me proud to be a Canadian. It's wonderful that an American network did a show like this to show the incredibly generosity of the people of Newfoundland. I have never met a Newfoundlander that I didn't like. I have met them in the Toronto area, in British Columbia, and even in the Caribbean. I have never been to Newfoundland but am planning a trip early next summer. From what I've heard, the island is very tourist friendly.

Olefin32...we are taking a repositioning cruise that leaves from Amsterdam (Aug. 19) on the Eurodam and will stop at the St. John's harbor in Newfoundland...eager to do it, since, as you, we found it a gorgeous place!

You sure had a lovely place to be stationed...with or without roads!

Jan

That sounds great!

St. Johns would bring back a lot of good memories. We would like that except flying to Amsterdam. Wife had bloods clots back several years ago and we try to stay clear of long flights. Maybe we should plan for a longer cruise.

What few people we met last year at Corner Brook were very nice. They were impressed with my return visit after 53 years.

This picture was taken just outside Corner Brook, 1956.

It was sent to me last year from a guy in the outfit. I didn't remember anyone taking pictures. :)

My first big ship cruise stopped in Corner Brook. A man had his Newfoundland dog greeting cruise passengers coming off the ship. What a massive, gentle, jolly beastie he was (the dog, not the man!) Got a kick out of his webbed paws.

My husband's heritage is Newfoundlander..though he's a generation removed from the island. the strengths and humor of "Canada's best" has blessed our family.

Stories past down of hard work ,community spirit and the meaning of family

in a small fishing village have taught my children how life is supposed to be lived.

Their lives are far removed from that fishing village but I hope their character has never left.

Archived