Rough Seas.....?

Soonerbaby

I have to ask~

We are sailing on the Conquest in October. Is this typically a good time to go as far as weather? I know that it is technically still hurricane season, but barring anything like that, are the waters typically calm w/no storms? I am not worried about getting caught in bad weather, I know they avoid that as much as possible, I just don't want my family getting really seasick. :(

I have to ask~

We are sailing on the Conquest in October. Is this typically a good time to go as far as weather? I know that it is technically still hurricane season, but barring anything like that, are the waters typically calm w/no storms? I am not worried about getting caught in bad weather, I know they avoid that as much as possible, I just don't want my family getting really seasick. :(

I have been on the Conquest three times at this time of the year and only once has the sea been rough (and it wasn't due to a hurricane). The sea was so rough that people who weren't even drunk were staggering, and lots of people were wearing the patch. I usually get woozy in weather like that, but I've started using ginger pills (which are completely safe and won't make you drowsy), so other than laughing at my gait sometimes, it didn't bother me.

I have to ask~

Wellllll... ya' know... you're just about the peak of hurricane season but having said that I can tell you that I cruise every year about that time and I've NEVER had a bad cruise.

You may miss a port... you may not but you'll have a fantastic time!!

:D

Yeah even though that's kind of the middle of hurricane season, the majority of hurricanes are out of the way by late August. An October Hurricane is rare. Even then, if there's a disturbance in the ocean, the captain will take you around it (potentially missing a port).

We booked a cruise for early September and aren't sweating it. Even Sept. is kind of late for hurricane season, but you never know what is going to happen from one year to the next.

We sailed Halloween week and had 25 ft seas ... so hurricane and storm season wasnt over in October. I also was in Ike .. and other hurricanes have hit in Oct... you have to assume the worst I think crusing during hurricane season ...

We were on Conquest in October. The last day at sea on our return from Cozumel we had "rough" seas. Our suite was on Level 7 and some of the waves were splashing over our balcony!:eek:

I actually like rough seas...way more fun!

I sailed on the Conquest the end of September 2007 and it was awesome. Didn't even know that we were on a ship. Beautiful weather and the seas were calm. Then, we sailed the second week in November in 2008. The boat was rocking, just drink more and it evens out the stumbling. We missed Montego Bay because it was unsafe to dock and they closed the port. But, we just got another fun day at see. I think its hit and miss. We just made the best of it and still enjoyed our vacation!

Wellllll... ya' know... you're just about the peak of hurricane season

...the majority of hurricanes are out of the way by late August.

I hope neither of you are planning on quitting your day jobs to become a hurricane meteorologist. The peak of the hurricane season begins in late August and runs into early September. (One site I saw listed specific dates of August 24 through September 10 as peak) So it's not mostly over by late August, the worst of the season is just beginning. And it's not peak season in October either.

Really hard to say. You probably won't encounter a hurricane in October, but even a passing cold front can create some rough seas! :eek: Just keep an eye on the weather forecast the week before and plan accordingly.

It's really beyond your control, so try not to stress it. Just pick a cabin midship if you can, and have whatever your favorite seasick remedy (ginger, bonine, patch, pressure bands, etc.) is handy. Have a great cruise!

We sailed Halloween week and had 25 ft seas ... so hurricane and storm season wasnt over in October. I also was in Ike .. and other hurricanes have hit in Oct... you have to assume the worst I think crusing during hurricane season ...

You have to assume at least the possibility of rough seas cruising anytime - we had 20 foot seas last May sailing from Baltimore. Our Halloween cruise in 2007 we had a lot of side to side rolling from a hurricane that popped up in the Eastern Carib. even though we were on a Western itin. and hundreds of miles away.

You just never know. Our first cruise was in Sept. and the seas were like glass.

A funny rough sea story (well at least I think it's funny)

Just got off the Elation 6day. We had rough seas coming up from Cabo. I mentioned to Mom that the seas must be bad if they are taping the barf bags to the wall. The other gal (our age or so) in the elevator says "They're taping barf bags to the wall!?!:eek:"

I had to explain that they were not used bags. The gal actually thought the crew was taping full barf bags to the walls, ewwwwwwww.:p:rolleyes::p

A funny rough sea story (well at least I think it's funny)

Just got off the Elation 6day. We had rough seas coming up from Cabo. I mentioned to Mom that the seas must be bad if they are taping the barf bags to the wall. The other gal (our age or so) in the elevator says "They're taping barf bags to the wall!?!:eek:"

I had to explain that they were not used bags. The gal actually thought the crew was taping full barf bags to the walls, ewwwwwwww.:p:rolleyes::p

:p That is funny!

You will have no problem!

Take you pick..........:rolleyes:

Archived