5 college kids wanting to go on a cruise summer 2011

MustardStation

Hello all! My friends and I will be turning 21 within the next year, the last of us (me :P) being the end of June 2011. We decided that next summer, we want to go on a cruise, preferably to the Caribbean, definitely on a nice ship. All but one of us have experience with cruising. I've been on 10 myself, one friend has been on 3 or 4, another on 2, and the other on only 1. I'm well versed in the subject, but I've never handled this myself, obviously! Based on my experiences, I've decided that our best bet would be CCL or RCI, but...we're poor college kids, so money is an issue. Basically, as much as we all want to, we can't go on Oasis of the Seas.

Can anyone throw out any suggestions? The criteria we'd like is Caribbean, Summer 2011 (about July 1st-August 14th), one of the nicer ships on RCI or CCL, and not too expensive. We're a group of five as of now, but it hasn't been proposed to someone yet, and I'm not sure he'll want to go! (he's no fun!!!) So, it may be four. We'd probably spilt staterooms between a triple and a double.

This is hard when I've been put in charge!!! Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated <3

It doesn't cost any more to use a good TA (and there may be perks you wouldn't have otherwise). I love mine; it is great to know I can talk to a real person who knows me. and I know I can pick up the phone or e-mail her with any question or problem and she will handle everything. We can't recommend TA's on these forums, but ask around and you will find out who is good.

Have fun on your cruise!

You are choosing to cruise in one of the most expensive times of the year, so budget is really going to be an issue. Also, you will have to figure in the cost of air, hotel pre-cruise, etc. Best see a good TA who can lay out all expenses for you so that you can see if you can really afford it. Also, it will become much more affordable if 'he's no fun' opts out, and the four remaining can share a cabin. EM

I feel your pain as I did this in college for a group of friends as well.

Since you are on such a tight budget I would suggest a triple and double as you said or if you are only 4 try a quad. Yes you will be packed in there but it is doable and if you are smart it is normally a great way to save some cash. Obviously weigh the advantages and disadvantages of this first.

Second since you are from NJ you can leave out of Bayonne or NYC. Saves on some airfare. I prefer to leave out of NJ/NY because that means no Newark Airport. Also the days at sea are a great time to kick back and have fun since you won't make it to the islands for a few days.

Explorer of the seas is a great ship with a ton to do. I haven't been on carnival out of nyc in years so I can't comment on them.

You could also book a limo/van to and from the port to make your life even easier. Normally the later into August you sail the cheaper the prices are due to the bigger risk of hurricane season.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask and I am sure people will address them

Thanks everyone! A TA is not necessary, as my dad books cruises on the side, but if he didn't, I'd be at one right now!

I know that the prices go down in late August, but we will have to go back to school around the 30th, and the later it gets, the closer we're cutting it. We're still not sure if this will even work out, and I found that many sailings aren't up yet, though Explorer sailings are. The only thing with those, or at least the one I looked at, is that it might be a little much, and Carnival sailings from NY don't seem to be open for booking or viewing yet. It's okay though, we've got time to decide. Thanks so much for all your suggestions so far though! They're very helpful :)

One thing you have to consider is that at least one of you has to be 25 or older, at least for Carnival. Not sure about the other lines.

Not if they are all 21. You only have to have someone 25 if someone else is under 21. If they are all 21, there is no problem.

Oasis and Allure are the only two ships RCI offers in your time frame/destination for a week long cruise, so that puts them out of the picture for your price reasons.

CCL has good prices on both Liberty and Legend for your time frame and both are among Carnival's newish, nice ships with good ratings. They are not the newest, but for the price they are a better deal and equally rated with the newest ships.

Thanks everyone! A TA is not necessary, as my dad books cruises on the side, but if he didn't, I'd be at one right now!

I know that the prices go down in late August, but we will have to go back to school around the 30th, and the later it gets, the closer we're cutting it. We're still not sure if this will even work out, and I found that many sailings aren't up yet, though Explorer sailings are. The only thing with those, or at least the one I looked at, is that it might be a little much, and Carnival sailings from NY don't seem to be open for booking or viewing yet. It's okay though, we've got time to decide. Thanks so much for all your suggestions so far though! They're very helpful :)

Also look into Triple A Discounts and things like that. Somtimes it can save a few dollars.

If your dad books cruises... why aren't you seeking his assistance to find the ship and price that meets the budget ? :rolleyes:

Check out the new NCL Epic. They will have single inside cabins sharing a common living/lounge area that look like just the thing for “20 some things” on a budget.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCCL - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ‘09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

If your dad books cruises... why aren't you seeking his assistance to find the ship and price that meets the budget ? :rolleyes:

Seeing as how I want to do the same, he's offering assistance, but leaving it up to me. Plus, the idea came up last night, and he was asleep as I was looking around, and posted this. He's helping, but I figured I'd seek ideas from others, I don't believe that warrants an eye roll!

Archived