Dead Bolts on cabin doors?

Asil65

this may be a bit naive on my part but ive always felt that should anything happen in your room like a theft the finger would be first squarely pointed at the room steward, so it would be really dumb of them to do anything.

im not saying it DOESNT happen but ive always pretty much trusted the room steward not to steal things that we could not lock up (laptop, camera, etc) anything that fits in the safe i jam in there but soemthings dont fit.

i feel like on all three cruises we have been on (no Princess ones yet) there has always been a chain on the door or one of those metal like ones that act the same way as a chain. :confused:

i dont really have a problem with the room steward being able to get into my room. as people mention if someone falls or is injured it may save their life.

maybe i am too trusting?

I travel EVERYWHERE with a big/black 75lb Service Dog.......She's a certified/trained Service Dog but, who knows what she'd be capable of if she felt threatened? I've seen her alpha/angry side [once], while training and being pushed by another dog. It was pretty darn scary. She's a perfect "lady" at all times and around the smallest of infants.....but who know's what she'd do if provoked by an intruder. :rolleyes:

And, people who know she's in the hotel/cruise room with us are very standoffish about getting too close! And, that's okay with me!

She and I walk late at night and in the early morning.....I've seen the biggest of guys literally cross the street in front of us once they've spotted her with me!!!!!!

Who Knew what a "safety net" having a disability and using a Service Dog would have!

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if the Princess ships have dead bolts on the insides of the cabin doors. We will be on the CB this summer. Have been on 3 different Princess ships and for the life of me cannot remember this detail. Thanks, Lisa

Yes there are deadbolts. I was just on a ship where two friends were fighting and deadbolting each other out of the room and security had to be called each time to open the doors, nothing keeps security out!

Geez, On my last cruise after seeing my room steward morning, noon, and night working in the hall of our rooms, I offered him the bed to take a nap if he wanted too!while we were out and about for the day!!! He declined of course but I trusted him enough to offer!!! Of course things can happen anywhere, but I tend to trust the ship personnel as they are the first that would be suspected and although their pay scale may not mean anything to us, to them it is good money and I'm sure they would not want to jeopardize their job and get caught stealing something worth only a few dollars.

I did have friends who smuggled a bottle of Baileys aboard. Came back from dinner the

very first night and took out of the closet for a post dinner drink, and there were 2

inches left in it! Not only did someone drink it, but they drank the whole bottle.

When they called the purser's desk, they were told that several people had access

to the cabin,so there would be no way to find the thief.

Then security came, looked around, and took the Baileys with them.

End of story.

I actually found a way to let the fire/police have access to my home without leaving a key with them. I am disabled and have frequent falls. I do not want the EMT's to arrive and have to break down my door. Nor do I feel like leaving the doors unlocked. There is a product called a "Knox Box" that can be placed on the outside of the house. You place a house key in it. It is made of hardened steel. The fire department has the only key to the box. They respond to all fire/police/health calls where I live and it shows on the 911 system that this is present. Now If I fall I don't have to have a new door put on my house at the same time I am getting a new hip or whatever.

I actually found a way to let the fire/police have access to my home without leaving a key with them. I am disabled and have frequent falls. I do not want the EMT's to arrive and have to break down my door. Nor do I feel like leaving the doors unlocked. There is a product called a "Knox Box" that can be placed on the outside of the house. You place a house key in it. It is made of hardened steel. The fire department has the only key to the box. They respond to all fire/police/health calls where I live and it shows on the 911 system that this is present. Now If I fall I don't have to have a new door put on my house at the same time I am getting a new hip or whatever.

What is the difference between them having a key to your home, or having a key to the box where the key to your home is stored? I don't think I am understanding this one at all. :confused:

What is the difference between them having a key to your home, or having a key to the box where the key to your home is stored? I don't think I am understanding this one at all. :confused:

If, for example, you need/want to change your door lock for other reasons, you don't have to get a new key to the local authorities. Also how many copies of your house key do you want floating around the city at police/fire depts?

Wish they had peep holes on the doors to see who is knocking on the door without opening it. Safety feature.......

the doors have peep holes. the only ones the dead bolt keeps out are your roomates. the cabin steward, room service, etc can all enter. almost seems ridiculous to have it since the only ones it is keeping out are the cabin occupants.

I guess it's good for parents traveling with kids and they want some alone time. ;)

this may be a bit naive on my part but ive always felt that should anything happen in your room like a theft the finger would be first squarely pointed at the room steward, so it would be really dumb of them to do anything.

im not saying it DOESNT happen but ive always pretty much trusted the room steward not to steal things that we could not lock up (laptop, camera, etc) anything that fits in the safe i jam in there but soemthings dont fit.

i feel like on all three cruises we have been on (no Princess ones yet) there has always been a chain on the door or one of those metal like ones that act the same way as a chain. :confused:

i dont really have a problem with the room steward being able to get into my room. as people mention if someone falls or is injured it may save their life.

maybe i am too trusting?

I trust the room steward too and have never had cause not to.

However, I have come back to my cabin after breakfast to find the door propped open and the steward in the bathroom. I went into my cabin without the steward being aware that I had come in, so it could be an invitation to an opportunist to enter the cabin and help themseves. I have also come back to find the steward out on the balcony cleaning the balcony furniture - again with the door propped open. I know that when I'm out on the balcony I don't hear my DH come in, so I wouldn't expect the steward to hear anyone comng in ether.

So I don't feel comfortable with the door being propped open. Most people are honest, but after having had my handbag stolen (not on a cruise I may add but in a restaurant), I know that no everyone is honest. Just a thought.

If you're worried about your personal safety while in your cabin, you're just in about the most secure places you can think of. No one is on the ship that shouldn't be, everyone is accounted for, 99% of ship is couples or families, security and staff are everywhere; and there's literally no where to go once you've done something naughty. Not saying it's 100% safe, but I feel safer on a ship than anywhere that isn't my home.

There are peepholes on the cabin doors, so if you're concerned; just pop a look through one to see who's there. :D

As we all know, crime does occur on cruise ships. The Seattle Times reported in 2007 that a five month study concerning crime on cruise ships that year revealed 207 susected crimes including 43 sexual assaults.

In a separtate report, a passenger reported being sexually assaulted by a ship's security officer who entered her cabin - apparently using a passkey.

During the five month study, cruise ships carried 4.4 million passengers, so the incidence per 100,000 is relatively low - but it does occur.

While we do not use a security device on our door, I certainly understand why some people would elect to do so.

Actually, we LOVED the dead bolt.

We actually had it engaged at least 50% of the time so that we didn't have to use our key to get in the door!!! Ha!

The door was pretty narrow and if you have something in your hand, it is quite a feat getting through. My husband is not that large...6', 190 lbs., but the doors are narrow. We found that if we left the dead bolt engaged, we could just push the door open and get in so much easier. We ended up leaving it like that most of the time. A couple of times we left it like that all night and didn't even realize it. We still didn't care.

I know we have been very lucky...but this is just how we live our lives and fortunately, we are both the same way. We just went away for the weekend and 3 of our doors were left unlocked. We just think if someone wants to get in, they will....not because they discovered the door was unlocked!

:)

A friend of mine was ill while staying at a hotel. When I went to check on him, he would not answer the phone or the door. I was afraid he had become unconscious and needed help.

The security guy came to the room and saw that my friend had used the little metal hook thing to secure the door. The security guy said he had to get a special tool and wait for a manager to supervise his opening the door.

I would have assumed cruise ships worked the same way--that there would be procedures in place to keep stewards from entering rooms by themselves that had been locked from the inside. It creeps me out a little bit that the stewards have keys that will open the door when someone inside has latched it.

The way hotel and cruise ship locks work is the following:

The key that you get will open the door only for the period of your stay. It will not open the door if the deadbolt is engaged.
The housekeeping key will open all doors in an area or floor. It should not open the door if the deadbolt is engaged.
Housekeeping master keys will open all doors in a larger area, or all cabin doors. These also should not open the door if the deadbolt is engaged.
Security keys will open all doors. These will open the doors even with the deadbolts engaged. They should only be issued to cleared security personnel.

All cabin doors can be queried. A device can be inserted that will read whose key opened that lock, at what time. The log cannot be erased from the lock.

From what has been described, some stewards are receiving security keys. That should not happen in hotels, but might be a security issue with ships.

Archived