What's happened to Seabourn guests?

Naveron

It used to be that one of the nicest things about Seabourn was meeting and chatting to your fellow cruisemates. They were always gracious and made an effort to be sociable. If they didn't wish to be social, they were discreet about it.

Well, I just finished my cruise on the Legend and I was really disappointed in the manners of some of the guests.

I'm talking about the ones you would sit with at dinner one night and have a pleasant conversation, and then the next day, they wouldn't even acknowledge that they had ever seen you...

I'm talking about guests who sat at the bar and would be obnoxious and loud and use bad language...

Then there were the guests who gave the cold shoulder if you tried chatting with them..

Then there were the ones who would wave the tender down to come back and then mosey over and take their sweet time getting into the boat, with no consideration of their fellow guests.

In fact, these guests were the minority, but they were enough of a minority not to notice and be dismayed.

The staff, by the way, were always superb!

Naveron - I think we were on the Legend for your first week (1st to 8th March?) If so, I agree with your comment about some of the loud and obnoxious people - there were two groups who maybe weren't quite what we expected on Seabourn, but I suppose it takes all sorts! Agree that the staff and crew were outstanding at all times. Never had an issue with them. We await the new brochure to book our next cruise.

It takes all kinds. On my first cruise, there was a very loud group of senior-aged cruisers who all lived in the same complex in HIlton Head. They were rude and boorish. at the SkyBar and at dinner. At a cocktail party in the forward lounge, on a very bouncy evening, they actually suggested that my mother (80 and frail) move from her chair so one of their members could sit closer to their group. I asked if they preferred if we both moved, they said yes, without a please or thank-you. We didn't. And it obviously didn't deter me from continuing crusing with Seabourn.

Regretably I think it will be a growing issue as Seabourn has to try and find enough guests to fill their ships and the Summer cruises of mainly 7 nights will not help either. We had a different sort of issue on the Legend last summer when a lot of passengers new to Seabourn didn't want to take part in Liars Club but were content to just watch and the number of Club members was down to nearly 30%.

It's all part of the changing world of Seabourn but its always good when the high level of service from the crew make up for it

A few summers ago we did 3 back to back 7 day Med cruises. It was amazing how different each was. The first and second week cruise was delightful, whereas the 3rd week had obnoxious passengers to no end! I tend to agree- its the luck of the draw. On the other hand the 14 day cruises and the crossings have always attracted wonderful fellow passengers...

Host Dan

A few summers ago we did 3 back to back 7 day Med cruises. It was amazing how different each was. The first and second week cruise was delightful, whereas the 3rd week had obnoxious passengers to no end! I tend to agree- its the luck of the draw. On the other hand the 14 day cruises and the crossings have always attracted wonderful fellow passengers...

Host Dan

With the increasing number of seven day cruises,we will see more bad behaviour from people who think that they own the ship after sailing for just a week.

Ofcourse there are a few that think they own the ship after sailing a few hundred days.:D

Ok, a couple of things...

First of all, I am new to Seabourn, but not to cruising. I only have 1 week for a vacation and we are younger than most passengers (37 years old)... That being said, I don't think that only going on a 7 day cruise is something that I should be looked down upon for. There are all kinds of people, so there will always be a few who are not to everyone else's liking. I look forward to meeting many fellow cruisers on the Spirit on June 5.

Second of all, what is Liar's Club?

Lord of the Seas...I thought after a while we DID own the ship! :eek:

Mona Lisa...certainly there are all kinds on all types of reservations. Do not take that to heart. We used to take longer trips..and through health problems and our Dog..we are doing 7 day cruises...and we are the same people. As for Liars club..it is a fun eveing following dinner in the Club. Usually the Capt., Cd, Entetainers..etc..sit in a row of chairs..are given a topic..and they each give a story..the guests must vote on the most believable. We have heard some whoppers. If you do not have fun on SB..it is your own fault..just my opinion. Lola :)

Lord of the Seas...I thought after a while we DID own the ship! :eek:

Mona Lisa...certainly there are all kinds on all types of reservations. Do not take that to heart. We used to take longer trips..and through health problems and our Dog..we are doing 7 day cruises...and we are the same people. As for Liars club..it is a fun eveing following dinner in the Club. Usually the Capt., Cd, Entetainers..etc..sit in a row of chairs..are given a topic..and they each give a story..the guests must vote on the most believable. We have heard some whoppers. If you do not have fun on SB..it is your own fault..just my opinion. Lola :)

Thanks, Lola. We can have fun pretty much anywhere... how hard is it to enjoy yourself sitting by the pool (or playing trivia, or eating, or chatting or whatever) while sipping champagne and being catered to???

<<Thanks, Lola. We can have fun pretty much anywhere... how hard is it to enjoy yourself sitting by the pool (or playing trivia, or eating, or chatting or whatever) while sipping champagne and being catered to???

>>

Yeah...what she said. :D

And, really...Liars Club can be quite a hoot! It's so much fun to see the personalities of the staff & entertainers in a situation "other than" what's expected.... Don't miss it if you have the chance to attend!

Enjoy your cruise!

Paul ;)

We were first time cruisers on Seabourn last December (a seven day Caribbean), and loved our first experience on the Spirit. Having been on several small ship all inclusive cruises some years ago (on another line), we did have an idea what to expect and were quite sure we would be happy with Seabourn. In particular, I cannot say enough good things about the staff and about the quality and presentation of the food. Dinners each night were very very good, and a couple of nights really excellent. The Spirit had just come out of dry dock, and was looking lovely, a sort of classic elegance. We were upgraded to a "balcony" suite which was very nice of Seabourn.

That being said, our observation of other passengers on the ship were apparently almost the opposite of what has been suggested on this post. The loudest people crowded around the SkyBar on a continual basis (and smoking the most) were what appeared to be "old-timers" on Seabourn, and also seemed the most likely to think that they "owned" the ship.

We did witness one guest (on at least two occasions) stomp out of the dining room yelling at staff on the way out. I have no idea whether this person was a new guest or long time guest, but did find the behavior very boorish and unpleasant. I think I can safely say that this was probably a guest with enough time and money to cruise on long Seabourn cruises on a regular basis. I assume he is the type of person that complains about everything, and that has nothing to do with whether he was new to Seabourn or not.

I am also not sure what "Liars Club" is, but certainly cannot understand why the non-participation of new guests would have any effect on the enjoyment of the cruise of a long time guest. My husband and I have limited vacation time, and enjoy spending quite a bit of our time together and alone while on vacation. As long as we are not obnoxious, it is really hard for me to see how this would affect other people.

Seabourn has chosen to make some of their seven day cruises (particularly on the three small ships) available at some nice prices which I believe has attracted some new guests. 1) If these cruises had been filled up with return guests, then Seabourn would not have had to lower the price and 2) Seabourn needs to attract a lot of new guests with their three new larger ships, and the seven day cruises are a good opportunity to try a cruise and then maybe get hooked on Seabourn. This certainly worked in our case, we left a deposit for a future cruise while on board, which is very unusual for us.

With only the three small ships and many returning guests, apparently many long time cruisers have become accustomed to seeing the same group of passengers on board. I can understand that this has made the ships feel somewhat like your own with a very comfortable and welcome home feeling. But Seabourn will now need a lot of new passengers, so I think some old timers will have to get used to new faces.

Mona Lisa, I hope you have a wonderful time on the Spirit and enjoy the small ship atmosphere as much as we do. We met both new guests and long time guests on board and found most everyone to be friendly and nice.

I would also like to thank the long time Seabourn guest that provided our referral OBC. We used ours for shore excursions and some small purchases. This is a wonderful incentive, and I really believe that many of the long time Seabourn guests are happy to help out new guests. They seem to be genuinely excited that you are new to Seabourn and want you to love the ships as much as they do!

Mona Lisa, I hope you have a wonderful time on the Spirit and enjoy the small ship atmosphere as much as we do. We met both new guests and long time guests on board and found most everyone to be friendly and nice.

I would also like to thank the long time Seabourn guest that provided our referral OBC. We used ours for shore excursions and some small purchases. This is a wonderful incentive, and I really believe that many of the long time Seabourn guests are happy to help out new guests. They seem to be genuinely excited that you are new to Seabourn and want you to love the ships as much as they do!

Yeah...what she said, too! :D

Paul ;)

who's very happily sailed several 7-dayers on SB!

Our two cruises on the Legend have been 7 days because we combine the cruise with a land stay as that is what we like to do. I feel a bit offended at being lumped in with people who can't behave just because we only have sailed for the seven days. We certainly know how to behave wherever we are and have made many new friends on both our Seabourn trips. We ignore the people who are behaving badly and ensure that we always treat the staff and crew in the way that they treat us - with kindness and civility. Some of the passengers need to take a lesson from them!

Maybe I am missing something... I don't think anyone said that all people on all 7 day vayages are bad. I have been on several 7 day cruises, and can only think of one 7 day cruise that had obnoxious people onboard- a group of salespeople that won the trip from their company...

Host Dan

"Regretably I think it will be a growing issue as Seabourn has to try and find enough guests to fill their ships and the Summer cruises of mainly 7 nights will not help either."

"With the increasing number of seven day cruises,we will see more bad behaviour from people who think that they own the ship after sailing for just a week."

These were my first clues... hopefully they are not actually the sentiment of most cruisers.

I should clarify that the obnoxious/rude behaviour had nothing to do with the length of the cruise, or whether the guests had been on Seabourn before. It just seems that social graces are a disappearing virtue. There was one woman on our cruise who had been on many Seabourn cruises (as well as other upscale ones) who was incredibly dismissive and cold. She would not even return my Good Morning...

Naveron -

I agree. The week you were on, that group was, ummmm, kind of chilly. I've never had so many people look "through" me.

While the week before, the week Margbem was on, was really loud lot. There were more than a few murmurs of relief from the crew after they departed.

I really do think it is the luck of the draw. We been on 7 day-ers that the ship was filled with happy, gregarious people having a wonderful time.

And I will add my voice to the number of folks that take offense at the (increasingly frequent) posts that state that 7 day passengers herald the end of genteel Seabourn cruising as we know it.

Kate

Interesting topic, I cant help wonder about a new 'type' of passenger bringing down the wonderful Seabourn experience. Now that Seabourn is offering 2 for 1 Med deals and up to 70% off other sailings it does make some think that at those prices it will be tough for the line to hold up good food and a service level that one has come to expect. It's a shame to perhaps see the luxury of Seabourn slowly slide away.

Archived