Best Beach in Barbados

fm519

My husband & I were in Barbados 2 yrs ago and spent the day on a beatiful beach not too far from the pier. We did take a cab however, but the ride was not more than 20 minutes. There was a small concession stand for lunch/bar, a vendor or 2 on the beach, and chairs with umbrellas, as well as bathroom facilities. I can't remember the name and am hoping someone can help me out. Thanks in advance!

That beach is on the western side of Barbados and is up from Sandy Lane. Offhand I can't remember the name of it but it is going up toward Holetown. I know it was Mullin's Bay Beach. It has a concession stand and etc. I was thinking of going to an all-inclusive in Barbados in April but booked a cruise instead. I wanted to stay at Mango Bay all-inclusive, maybe anothet time.

there is a great beach very close to the pier called "the dockyard". you can take a cab for $3pp. once there, you pay $10 pp and that gets you admission, a beach lounge chair, a free drink and a ride back to the boat. it is a great value. there is music to listen to and food you can purchase there. also some extras like a floating trampoline and a rope you can swing on and into the ocean. the employees on the ship should know becuse they go there too!

there is a great beach very close to the pier called "the dockyard". you can take a cab for $3pp. once there, you pay $10 pp and that gets you admission, a beach lounge chair, a free drink and a ride back to the boat. it is a great value. there is music to listen to and food you can purchase there. also some extras like a floating trampoline and a rope you can swing on and into the ocean. the employees on the ship should know becuse they go there too!

I believe it is actually called "The Boatyard". We like to go there and we often run into crew from the ship also. The water is beautiful and calm for swimming.

SeaBaby

I believe it is actually called "The Boatyard". We like to go there and we often run into crew from the ship also. The water is beautiful and calm for swimming.

SeaBaby

oops, you are correct, it is the boatyard.

We just came back from Barbados a couple of weeks ago and spent a great day on Accra Beach. Not too far from the docks and much quieter than Boatyard.

If you go to Accra, walk to the far left of the beach and there is a little place called bar Kanei. Chairs and umbrella are $5 each BUT they give you a credit for food for the same dollar amount that you spent on the chairs and umbrella.

Great flying fish sandwich and platter.

Got back from Barbados recently - had a car for the day and toured the East Coast. Ended up at Bottom Bay for the last couple of hours, after recommendations from this forum - wow, what a beach, the most beautiful I have seen in the caribbean and no-one else there..........fantastic.

There are many references to it and photos on this forum, definately worth a visit.

Got back from Barbados recently - had a car for the day and toured the East Coast.

Ended up at Bottom Bay for the last couple of hours, after recommendations from this forum

- wow, what a beach, the most beautiful I have seen in the Caribbean

and no-one else there..........fantastic.

There are many references to it and photos on this forum, definitely worth a visit.

And if you're on Facebook

you may want to investigate this...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=51193118890

Does Bottom Bay have lounge chairs/umbrellas, food, restrooms?
Strange as this may sound to you...

Bottom Bay is special because it does not have amenities.

A few guys on the beach have crude stalls selling bracelets and trinkets

and I saw a few beach chairs

but there are no rest-rooms, no umbrellas, no food, maybe the guys sell drinks.

Bottom Bay is not a commercial beach.

It's very natural and long may it remain that way!

Strange as this may sound to you...

Bottom Bay is special because it does not have amenities.

A few guys on the beach have crude stalls selling bracelets and trinkets

and I saw a few beach chairs

but there are no rest-rooms, no umbrellas, no food, maybe the guys sell drinks.

Bottom Bay is not a commercial beach.

It's very natural and long may it remain that way!

Yes, there are a few chairs for rent, no umbrellas - just get under the trees.

The same guy who rented the beds has some drinks for sale, but that was all, no restrooms.

Just so quiet............

• 5 months later...

Will be in Barbados in February with a group of about 20. Looking for a beautiful beach with good snorkeling, food, drinks and music. Basically, I want it all! Does Bar Kanei have music? Is the Boatyard a bunch of obnoxious drunks from the ships? (of course, we will also be on a cruise) Our group doesn't want the quietest beach on the island, but doesn't necessarily want the craziest either.

Will be in Barbados in February with a group of about 20.

Looking for a beautiful beach with good snorkeling, food, drinks and music.

Accra-077.jpg

Basically, I want it all! Does Bar Kanei have music? ===> I believe so..but subtle.

Is the Boatyard a bunch of obnoxious drunks from the ships? ==> :D Sometimes.. yes! including ships crew

(of course, we will also be on a cruise)

Our group doesn't want the quietest beach on the island, but doesn't necessarily want the craziest either.

It's hard to beat Accra/Rockley Beach for a decent all-round breezy South Coast beach

WITH some (unknown) snorkelling to be had

Rockley_Bay.jpg

out on the man-made barrier-reef about 150 yds. offshore.

See the straight dark strip at upper left? That's the reef -been there about 15 yrs. now

Bar Kanei is popular enough:

- if they have music I'm sure it won't be rockin like how it is down at Boatyard.

BarK-071.jpg

It's a bit more civilized, for a not-so-young Party set.

We will be there in October and have a few questions.

How far is it from the port? ===> About 3 miles

Taxi vs bus? ===> Taxi going out, bus it back?

Your most practical approach might be to get your beach day at Rockley started promptly

by taking a taxi out to Rockley (10-15 mins. depending on traffic in/around the town)

-and then do the bus on the way back in to town.

I say this because the correct bus to catch is much easier to get at Rockley (..than in Bridgetown)

becoz of the v.convenient Rockley bus-stop right across the street from Chefette fastfood

(the bus-stop is on the beach side of the street, and that's the side you want to be, going into Bridgetown)

Bus will take you into Bridgetown, plunking you down on the opposite side of town to where your ship is docked.

You might then walk West(into the sun) across either bridge, as you make your way across town towards the Port

-or if you're dead beat from all the sun at Accra(Rockley) you might get a cab across town.

It's hard to beat Accra/Rockley Beach for a decent all-round breezy South Coast beach

WITH some (unknown) snorkelling to be had

Rockley_Bay.jpg

out on the man-made barrier-reef about 150 yds. offshore.

See the straight dark strip at upper left? That's the reef -been there about 15 yrs. now

Bar Kanei is popular enough:

- if they have music I'm sure it won't be rockin like how it is down at Boatyard.

BarK-071.jpg

It's a bit more civilized, for a not-so-young Party set.

LOL! Some members of our group feel much younger than their actual ages! I think they might insist on the Boatyard. Does anyone have a suggestion for somewhere with good reggae?

Got back from Barbados recently - had a car for the day and toured the East Coast. Ended up at Bottom Bay for the last couple of hours, after recommendations from this forum - wow, what a beach, the most beautiful I have seen in the caribbean and no-one else there..........fantastic.

There are many references to it and photos on this forum, definately worth a visit.

how far from the port is this beach? is it doable as a day trip, or so far away, that the cab fare would kill you? thanks,

Archived