bottles of wine and champagne

cruisin475

Hey all, I need some clarification on something. I am leaving on Sunday March 28 on Holland America Westerdam, my question is when I walk on the ship with some cary-on bags am I allowed to bring wine bottles and some champagne for my personal consumption? Or do I have to order it and have it sent to my stateroom?

Thanks in advance....

If you can carry it, you can bring it on in your carry on :-) (you could put it in your checked luggage too if you pack it properly so it won't break). We just carried on 4 bottles of wine and two bottles of champagne and drank them every day on our balcony... it was awesome !

you packed champagne in your checked luggage from your home airport? I will be traveling from ny to miami and am very nervous about the champagne being de-pressurized and popping open in my checked luggage. Should I worry? thanks in advance?
Why take the chance? Buy at least the champagne in FL. I suggest you buy it all in FL and not chance overweight baggage fees or breakage. :)

Hey all, I need some clarification on something. I am leaving on Sunday March 28 on Holland America Westerdam, my question is when I walk on the ship with some cary-on bags am I allowed to bring wine bottles and some champagne for my personal consumption? Or do I have to order it and have it sent to my stateroom?

Thanks in advance....

Welocme to Cruise Critic crusini475. Have fun and bring on all the wine you can carry........you can also bring on a case of wine and put it thru baggage, they will handle it for you, nice so you don't have to struggle carring it on yourself.

68-583066756.gif

Why take the chance? Buy at least the champagne in FL. I suggest you buy it all in FL and not chance overweight baggage fees or breakage. :)

They don't call it Ft. Liquordale for nothing! ;)

oops, miami, sorry :D

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear - we drove to SD, so I didn't have to worry how to get the Champagne on the boat (carry on or checked), but I would not pack champagne into checked luggage on a plane due to the pressure. See if a normal grocery store is open when you guys arrive so you can get all the wine/champagne once you arrive in Florida.

Or Total Wine/BevMo if they have that there. I am not familiar with that area at all, so I can't give more tips.

For Disneyrichfun: You can't shop duty free at an airport unless you leave on a foreign flight.

As everyone has said, yes so far HAL has left that policy alone and you can carry on wine. We hauled 5 bottles on with no issues. Regular booze is another story.

As far as the duty free's in FortL. there is a duty free with wine as soon as you walk off the plane. Soory don't remember Miami airport, but I would imagine it is there, just look for it.

HAL only cruises from Port Everglades, not the Port of Miami; so, for anyone flying into MIA, I strongly recommend you have your taxi stop at Total Wine, just a few blocks from the port, and do your wine shopping there. They will box it so you can check it.

We usually drive to Port Everglades, and our all time record for carry on wine was 2 full cases of 12, plus 2 cases of 8. We used a hand truck.

And in answer to your next question: sailaway party for 50. :D

Im going to stop and a wine store on Sunday in Miami on the way to the port :D:D:D
I hope you're not thinking you're sailing HAL from Miami! :p If you mean Ft Lauderdale, the Total Wine and More store at 1906 Cordova (near 17th St) opens at 12:00p on Sunday. You should have plenty of time to stop there before going to Port Everglades.

Thanks Everyone!! This helps, and some good ideas. Im going to stop and a wine store on Sunday in Miami on the way to the port :D:D:D

I have noticed that you have mentioned twice "Miami" -- is that where you ar flying into?

The Westerdam leaves from Ft Lauderdale.

If you are flying into Miami, what are your plans from getting from Miami to Ft Lauderdale?

HAL only cruises from Port Everglades, not the Port of Miami; so, for anyone flying into MIA, I strongly recommend you have your taxi stop at Total Wine, just a few blocks from the port, and do your wine shopping there. They will box it so you can check it.

We usually drive to Port Everglades, and our all time record for carry on wine was 2 full cases of 12, plus 2 cases of 8. We used a hand truck.

And in answer to your next question: sailaway party for 50. :D

And for your ordering pleasure, TW in FLL allows you to order over the internet, they pack and hold your order, and you just have the taxi stop and pick up the order and they run your credit card. (No connection with TW, other than a satisfied customer).

Have anyone embarked a ship in Amsterdam and carried on wine. We never have trouble in USA but don't know foreign rules

WE are finishing cruising at Ft Launderdale and need to get to Miami INT Airport any suggestions. sorry but I cant find my last post!!!

Archived