What do you think HAL should do about the Master Chef Dinner (MCD)?

AlexandNessa

What do you think HAL should do about the Master Chef Dinner (MCD)?  

538 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think HAL should do about the Master Chef Dinner (MCD)?

• Keep the MCD as it is.
    • Keep the MCD, but with modifications (change night, menu)
    • Decrease the # of MCDs (e.g., don't have one every cruise)
    • Cancel the MCD all together.
    • Add more MCDs.
    • Ambivalent or don't care.
    • I haven't experienced the MCD yet so haven't formed an opinion.
    • Other (please specify).

Just a heads up, even though it was billed as the Master Chef's Dinner last Saturday (two days ago) on Veendam, it was not the typical MCD: no dancing, no signs, no parading, no juggling fake fruit, 'regular' uniforms by the staff and a 'regular' menu with seven entrees.

How elegant. How tasteful. How welcome. Good work, HAL. Much happier to spend that last night with our wonderful dining staff in sheer enjoyment, rather than sheer embarrassment.

The last night of our recent cruise didn't have a "Master Chef's Dinner". We were told "Not on this ship!" when asking about MCD to make PG reservations. There was still an unbearably looooooooooooooooong wait after we'd finished our main course for the 'glow stick' parade, wait for the glop HAL calls Baked Alaska to be served, before we could order our desserts. BTW - the dessert we wanted was the "Chef's Recommended" that night, which was NOT Baked Alaska. We would have been MUCH happier in the PG.

The menu was better, the "lobster bisque" was greatly improved. We still couldn't taste any lobster or brandy/cognac, but it tasted nice. It wasn't the thin, watery, tasteless broth we've been served in the past.

When we last were on HAL we specifically asked in the Neptune and PG what night the Dreaded Dinner was. (Never called it that, and asked with a nice friendly smile.) Every time we asked we got the same answer, "....we don't have the schedule yet." Now we know better. When we sail in a few weeks we are going to make a PG reservation immediately (I have rewards coupons so can't do it in advance) or order room service.

Good idea about skipping dessert and going to the Lido instead of waiting through the Baked Alaska, which we really don't care for.

HAL, are you listening?????

If all would scroll up and see some previous threads it sounds like Hal is making some significant changes to what we refer to as Master Chef's Dinner. It's too early to say the new ways is fleet wide but there seems to be a trend for the better.

I always thought that when they received so many request for specialty dining options that Hal would start addressing the complaints about the Master Chef's dinner.

It is nice to surmise that some of the issues we on CC address are actually considered.

The Dutch tea still has silly hats. This is one area where saving money and waste would be appreciated and stick to making dessert items that are actually Dutch treats. That is what I expected for the Dutch Tea - a wonderful Dutch East Indies heritage to celebrate and all we got were standard dessert items and those silly hats. Disappointment.

Wow, you guys are a bunch of fuddy-duddies! At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if HAL expands the MCD just to annoy you enough to leave and cruise other lines. Then there would be more room for the open-minded, younger clientele HAL is trying to attract.

Not liking the MCD is fine--we all enjoy different things. But the vitriol directed at it on this thread is really something else. People who get this fired up about something so silly are probably the exact customers HAL would be happy to have take their whiny, complaining, holier-than-thou attitudes to another cruise line, where it can be THEIR problem...

You are right, everyone has a different idea about what "entertainment" is but the survey results speak for themselves. My main gripe is that the already overworked and underpaid staff are expected to provide a tacky floor show as well as doing their jobs. I doubt they have much choice but to participate however reluctantly. It just makes me cringe. If that makes me a fuddy-duddy so be it.

Archived