Cinque Terre....which port???

cruisingallover

There are several factors that I would consider when making this decision, including the time from each port, the relative ease of each trip, and the other things I might see from that port.

From Genova, the train to Monterosso, the northernmost of the five villages of Cinque Terre, takes about one hour and fifty minutes on one train (no change). Depending on the train, the price (in second class) is between Euro 4,80 to Euro 8,50.

From Livorno, the train to Riomaggiore, the southernmost of the five villages, takes about an hour and a half, but requires a change in La Spezia. The price (in second class) is between Euro 11,40 to Euro 14,40.

When I read the OP my first thought was to say neither! We love to cruise in Europe (have probably spent nearly a year in the Med) and we also enjoy spending time on land (with our own rental car). We have been to Cinque Terre during cruise stops and also stopped there on a driving trip through France and Italy. A port day is just not long enough to do Cinque Terre real justice. In fact, it is nearly impossible to see all 5 villages during a port day unless you just run from one place to another. This is an area worthy of at least 1 or 2 nights on a land trip (we met a couple who spend 1 week in Riomaggiore every year). As to port days, the train connection from Livorno is very tight. When we go to Cinque Terre from Livorno we prefer to rent our own car and it is about 1:20 - 1:30 from the port to Riomaggiore where there is parking along the road into town or in a paid garage in the town. When using a car we can usually be in Riomaggiore by around 9:30 and, assuming the ship leaves at 7 we could conceivably stay until around 4. This sounds like a lot of time, but one of the great attractions of the 5 villages is to hike between at least several of the villages. Because of the time limitations on a port day most only do the Lovers Walk between Riomaggiore and Manarola and then take a train or boat to see one or two more villages before returning to Riomaggiore.

Hank

A port day is just not long enough to do Cinque Terre real justice. In fact, it is nearly impossible to see all 5 villages during a port day unless you just run from one place to another.

Hank,

What you say is true, of course. But that could be said of any European port of call...Naples, Rome, Cannes, Barcelona...

We were fortunate enough to be diverted from Livorno to La Spezia in '07 due to high winds. This worked out perfectly for our visit to Cinque Terre.

If the OP has enough port time, I'd say go for it. A few hours certainly isn't enough time to experience all Cinque Terre has to offer, but he/she will leave with a very nice experience.

Lew

For what it's worth, I'm planning a trip to Cinque Terre for a cruise that stops in Livorno, not Genoa. Based on advice of many people, including Hank (thanks!), we plan to rent a car rather than take a train to Cinque Terre.

The problem with the train from Livorno is that there is no quick and easy way to get from the port to Livorno Central. You might be able to get a taxi, you might not. If not, it's a shuttle to the town center, and a bus to the train station. There there's a long train ride, with a transfer. Just too many logistics.

Not sure what the logistics are like from Genoa, but it's something to keep in mind.

We have decided that Cinque Terre is a long trek so we will go to Portofino when we port in Genoa and still don't know what we will do in Livorno.....maybe Lucca. Will have to save this for another trip.

Thanks for all your help. I am sure it will benefit others as well.

I fear my post may have been misunderstood. We do really love all the charm in the Cinque Terre region and do recommend the place for a visit (even if only for a few hours). But, we think the region is better enjoyed on an overnight visit. -Lew- is absolutely right that it is difficult to fully explore or appreciate many European ports during a single port day. This is why we always recommend that Med cruisers try to spend extra time in Europe (before and after a cruise) if it can possibly fit your schedule and budget.

Hank

Not sure when you want to go and what you have budgeted for your cruise.

Cruises that call on La Spezia or Portofino will be your closest ports. Both are very doable, with La Spezia being the nearest port (10 minutes away by train).

You would have to look at the port times to determine if you have sufficient time for the visit to be worthwhile.

Here is some information on ships stopping at these ports:

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruisesvisitinglaspeziaitaly.html

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruisesvisitingportofinoitaly.html

Another option is to take a cruise that departs from Genoa or Savonna and spend a few days pre or post cruise.

Joe

Archived