Tipping on River Cruises?

Shopinpat

There is a safe in your cabin, my suggestion is to bring extra cash at the beginning of the trip and put it away. If you don't like the service tip less than the recommended. If you do, we are in Amsterdam for 2 days at the end of the trip (docked very close to the Central Station if your ship docks where mine does) and you can get money from a bank machine to add.

Don't forget that you need a certain amount of cash to tip the local tour guides and drivers; you will have to pay them at the time. It is only the ship's crew and cruise director that you tip at the end of the trip.

Nomi

Why does Viking suggest tipping in U.S $ while in Europe? I would not do that.They would then have to exchange $ to Euros. Very inconsiderate IMHO.

Have you ever cruised Viking?????

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be on my first cruise with Avalon this year & here's what they sent me about tipping. Figured someone else may find this useful for budgeting.

Gratuities to your Cruise Director and the ship's crew are generally not included in the vacation price. While the amount of these gratuities will depend upon your degree of satisfaction for services received, many of our clients have asked us for general tipping guidelines. For a good job, we recommend Euro 3 per passenger per day for the Cruise Director and Euro 12 per passenger per day for the crew - this will be divided up among all the ship's personnel. Envelopes specifically for this purpose will be left in your stateroom on the day prior disembarkation, and a designated box in which to deposit the envelopes will be set up at Reception when you leave the ship. Clients who have opted to pre-pay the gratuities to Cruise Director and crew, will have received a “gratuities voucher” with their travel documents. It is also customary to acknowledge a particularly good performance of a local guide by leaving a tip of Euro 1 per tour.

I've been on two cruises only: Regent, and Uniworld. Regent do not expect tipping, and I'm sure have built the tip into the price. Uniworld, as someone posted, do expect tips, and only cash.

My personal preference is for the Regent, all included, way of doing business. I never worry about being "nickel and dimed" while with them, and unless I receive extraordinary service, I leave without tipping, and do not feel guilty. My trip costs just what I paid up front. Granted, Regent prices are high, but the quality of everything is superb, from the size of the suites, to the shore excursion help and amenities.

With Uniworld, I followed the tipping guidelines, using the envelope they provide. Interestingly, they expect you to put your cabin number on the envelope! I did not feel good about this. For our tour guide, who was extraordinarily good, the six of us got together, and agreed to tip him well above the guidelines, simply because he did such an excellent job.

I have to say that Uniworld offer a great experience, and I would recommend them highly, despite my preference for an all included experience.

I don't remember putting my cabin number on the envelope(s) when we sailed with Uniworld in 2008 - but I guess this has changed. We tipped the recommended amount because the service was excellent. We also gave a little bit extra to one of the wait staff because he went above & beyond (imho). At least with the envelopes, you tip what you want - rather than having an automatic charge to you on-board account - as with many larger cruises. As someone has said, you do "tip" when you book with Tauck or Regent --> you just pay up front.

We have traveled with Viking, Uniworld, Gate 1, AMA and Grand Circle. We have not put our cabin number on any of the envelopes. On Gate 1 and Grand Circle we handed our tip envelopes directly to our tour guides; the pooled tip envelopes went into a separate box.

We are booked on Uniworld River Duchess Tulips & Windmills Antwerp to Amsterdam April 23,2010

Picked up my Documents today from TA

Received a nice Document Wallet with Luggage Tags

After reading sugestion booklet Gratuities I find them a little High ?

Ship staf and Crew 10 euro per cuest per day

Cruise Mananger 3 euro per cuest per day

Total 260 euro for the 10 day cruise Is about $360 american

What are you going to tip

Be aware that you will have to have that tip in Euros. You can't put tips on a credit card. Depending upon the value of the Euro (it is declining as I type) you may need to do ATM withdrawls several days apart so as not to go over the ATM limitations.

• 3 weeks later...
Be aware that you will have to have that tip in Euros. You can't put tips on a credit card. Depending upon the value of the Euro (it is declining as I type) you may need to do ATM withdrawls several days apart so as not to go over the ATM limitations.

Most people enjoy the "I don't have to tip" if I feel guility I'll just put in a little bit. It's a fact. Hey your lucky to be able to travel. I'll bet most WILL SAY I thought tips were included. They also belive in a easter bunny!

Archived