Tipping on Costa European Cruises

Cygneagile

If they are automatically charging each customer for tips each day, why does it talk about still tipping servers etc. like that is a have to?

From Costa Cruises "Bartenders, servers, deck stewards and other staff may be tipped as service is received."

The Automatic Service Charge (tipping to some) has some regional differences:

a. Americans can have The Automatic Sevice Charge removed if they want, if not wil is payable at the end of the cruise.

b. Europeans cannot have it removed, it is payable at the end of the cruise.

c. Australians have to pay it (pre cruise) with the final payment for the cruise.

There is absolutely no obligation to tip anyone once you are on the ship, it is totally at your discrection. There is a 15% service charge for drinks bought onboard, and a €2 service chrge for room service.

Ron

Just a different take on tipping - which someone may have an answer. In the bars - we will tip for good service, attentiveness etc. Will also tipe for room service - same reason. This is beyond our pre paid tips - (we are Aussies - pay tips inclusive at booking) But I have never tipped in the main dining room. Not because I am mean - I have only just thought about it - and realised we never have done - do people tip the food waiters in the MDR? I don't mind being shamed - it's something that can be rectified for future.

I would never consider removing the automatic service charges from my account. Unless the MDR waiter was a total scowling screw-up, I always slip both he and his assistant tips at the end of the cruise. Likewise for my cabin steward. I don't use the bars and room service enough to get to know those people but I know the my automatic service charge gets to them also.

Just a different take on tipping - which someone may have an answer. In the bars - we will tip for good service, attentiveness etc. Will also tipe for room service - same reason. This is beyond our pre paid tips - (we are Aussies - pay tips inclusive at booking) But I have never tipped in the main dining room. Not because I am mean - I have only just thought about it - and realised we never have done - do people tip the food waiters in the MDR? I don't mind being shamed - it's something that can be rectified for future.

Liz,

There is nothing to be ashamed about. Tipping mostly has nothing to do with being tight, but about cultural background and habits. Some countries tip on everything other not at all.

We occasionally tip in MDR if the service is above and beyond the call of duty.

Ron

Thanks Ron. Talking to DH about it and he said he tips the waiters on the last night- has a note in his hand and shakes hands with them so others can't see - now I know why there is a lot of hand shaking going on. Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Dizzy, you always make me laugh!!

My DH does the same at the end of each cruise, with the table waiters and cabin steward as we have always had excellent service.

My question though is, what is an 'appropriate' amount to give on say a two week cruise. Tipping isn't the Australian way, so we really don't know how much is appropriate. I'm sure they are happy to receive anything, but I don't want to embarass them either.

Any suggestions...anyone...

Including the service in the cruise price ( which some continually bring up) means that it is both commissionable and taxable.

Tipping means the money goes right into peoples pockets...

And yes, peoples views on tipping are colored by their culture... Since people from different backgrounds cruise, here we are!

It is the way it is. So go with it or do something else on vacation. The hotel i stayed at for a week in January included breakfast, they kept a running tab for drinks and other meals. At the end of the week we asked how much of a gratuity we should leave and they said that there was no guideline, but to give from the heart!

And there was no tax either in our bill..

Archived