Tipping on Costa European Cruises

Cygneagile

Can someone please advise me on the ACTUAL policy for tipping.

The brochure and web site clearly states we can lower or increase the daily tipping. We just need to consult with the Customer Relation desk. Being Canadian the 6.50 EURO per day for a 7 night cruise and 5 EURO per day fore longer then 7 night cruise as quoted on the internet and brochure becomes very confusing. 6.50 = about 9 canadian $ per day which is less than a Caribbean cruise.

So what gives.

Julie

we were charged 7 EURO a day per person. It was automatically charged, and could be adjusted. Out service was great and we passed on extra cash to waitress, asst waiter and cabin steward rather than add on more to the credit card.

The Service Charge is based on where the cruise is (also has an impact as to which currency is charged $ or €) and the actual length. Here is teh information form the Costa USA site:

Tipping is a personal matter, and your own judgment is the best guide. For your convenience, Costa will automatically debit your onboard account a modest service charge per person per day. Should you wish to change the amount, contact the Guest Relations Desk. Bartenders, servers, deck stewards and other staff may be tipped as service is received. For your convenience, a 15% gratuity is added to beverage purchases automatically.

Service Charges

Caribbean sailings departing from the U.S.:

$11.00 US per adult per day for cruises up to 7 nights and $7.50 US per adult per day for cruises over 7 nights. Guests under the age of 18, $7.50 per person per day up to 7 nights and $3.75 per person per day for cruises over 7 nights.

Caribbean sailings departing from non-U.S. ports:

Euro 6.00 per adult per day for cruises up to 8 nights; Euro5.00 per adult per day on longer cruises. The applicable service charge for teens between the ages of 14 and 17 will be 50% of these amounts; there will be no service charge for children under the age of 14.

Europe, Dubai and Costa Marina sailings:

Euro 6.5 per adult per day for cruises up to 8 nights; Euro 5 per adult per day on longer cruises. The applicable service charge for teens between the ages of 14 and 17 will be 50% of these amounts; there will be no service charge for children under the age of 14.

Transatlantic sailings:

Euro 5 per adult per day. The applicable service charge for teens between the ages of 14 and 17 will be 50% of this amount; there will be no service charge for children under the age of 14.

South America sailings:

$8.00 US per adult per day. The applicable service charge for teens between the ages of 14 and 17 will be 50% of these amounts; there will be no service charge for children under the age of 14.

Far East - Costa Allegra sailings:

$6.00 US per adult per day. The applicable service charge for teens between the ages of 14 and 17 will be 50% of these amounts; there will be no service for children under the age of 14.

Ron

We were charged 6 Euros per day each on a 14 night cruise in January. We understood it was compulsory and someone on our table checked and was definitely informed it was compulsory and they weren't very happy about it.

As far as I am aware the gratuities are now complusory, this changed last year.

That said they cannot force you to pay if service is poor or under par, and you can demand they be removed if proven.

The 15 % service on drinks can also be removed but only one at a time not for the whole cruise.

(It took me three days, and seven phone calls to get 1.24 Euros removed after several times asking for drinks without ice, and being given ice, the last time was the straw that broke my temper, and hence the trip to reception and my attempt to get 1.24 back from the bill)

Quote:

Euro 6.5 per adult per day for cruises up to 8 nights; Euro 5 per adult per day on longer cruises. Unquote

So our cruise is 11 nights does that mean we will be charged 5 EURO per day. And they clearly state in their brochure and on their web site that we can increase or decrease. Now I see that Vivienne states that they were not able to change this.

What do you do if the service is poor. Why should you be forced to TIP and pay for something you do not get.

Julie

Quote:

Euro 6.5 per adult per day for cruises up to 8 nights; Euro 5 per adult per day on longer cruises. Unquote

So our cruise is 11 nights does that mean we will be charged 5 EURO per day. And they clearly state in their brochure and on their web site that we can increase or decrease. Now I see that Vivienne states that they were not able to change this.

What do you do if the service is poor. Why should you be forced to TIP and pay for something you do not get.

Julie

Agreed

I used this subject several weeks ago and received many snidey replies..I find the whole idea of being forced to give YOUR money away regardless is unthinkable....Fair enough if the service is decent HOWEVER if the crew know the tips are paid whatever happens maybe just maybe the crew will not care what service they offer?

It is simply because in europe most people are not used to the kind of tipping used in the rest of the industry and people we stiffing the staff and saying they recieved bad service. So now the lines insist that you point out bad service and allow them to fix the problem before they allow you to reduce the tip..... That way the bad tippers have this excuse eliminated

It is simply because in europe most people are not used to the kind of tipping used in the rest of the industry and people we stiffing the staff and saying they recieved bad service. So now the lines insist that you point out bad service and allow them to fix the problem before they allow you to reduce the tip..... That way the bad tippers have this excuse eliminated

Would it not be better if cruise lines adjusted their prices thus paying the crew decent pay?...Any tips recieved afterwards could be shared amonst the crew....This way would be fairer and make crew members give a decent service at all times.

People i know only tip when they feel they have had good service....I find it bizarre that people doing their jobs expect punters to boost their wages.

Would it not be better if cruise lines adjusted their prices thus paying the crew decent pay?...Any tips recieved afterwards could be shared amonst the crew....This way would be fairer and make crew members give a decent service at all times.

People i know only tip when they feel they have had good service....I find it bizarre that people doing their jobs expect punters to boost their wages.

this has been argued over and over and over. if you don't like it, don't cruise.

most of the aussies i've met onboard ships are very fun and nice. can't understand why some are so dang tight with the buck.

The problem that some people don't seem to realize is that the "extra" tips they give for good service generally only go to MDR waiters, cabin stewards, and maybe a few bar attendants. What about all the hundreds of other "behind the scenes" crew personnel that work their behinds off to ensure that the passengers get that good service? That's the reason for the automatic service charge. As with the personnel that "we see" on a daily basis, 99% of those we don't see come from 3rd world countries where their cruise ship income, if compared to a local wage scale, is phenominal. I've spoken with several who claim to be able to buy a piece of land back home and after two or three cruise contracts (9 months each) even build a house on it. The portion of the service charges they receive adds substantially to their take-home pay. This is the way it is - in the end it's not a huge amount added to the bill. I agree with Ctheworld - If you don't like it, don't cruise!

Tipping is a joke!!..Americans either demand a tip or simply throw their money away.

Visited Vegas...Went to the bar and ordered drinks and gave the barman my money,He returned with my change and held his hand out for a tip!!!..I said to him.."you want a tip for simply doing your job...no chance fella"..Barman walked away shaking his head......This guy did not even have to move to bring drinks to the table,Yet he wanted MY MONEY for pulling a few beers.

Folk from Europe are not so generous BUT will tip for decent service.

we have had this many times before but here goes

I think that Americans and maybe Canadians have something in their law which says that they cannot be made to tip and therefore they can decline the automated tips Europeans cant

However Americans will tip and usually do as part of their lifestyle

Europeans are less likely to tip as a matter of course

The tips are essential as they are(like it or not) part of the staffs wages

I also agree with the previous statement its part of cruising if you dont like it dont go

Tipping is a joke!!..Americans either demand a tip or simply throw their money away.

Visited Vegas...Went to the bar and ordered drinks and gave the barman my money,He returned with my change and held his hand out for a tip!!!..I said to him.."you want a tip for simply doing your job...no chance fella"..Barman walked away shaking his head......This guy did not even have to move to bring drinks to the table,Yet he wanted MY MONEY for pulling a few beers.

But everyone knows that's the model in the US, the guys get paid next to nothing and earn their wages through tips. Whether you agree with that or not is irrelevant, what a crassly ignorant thing to say to someone just doing their job.

But everyone knows that's the model in the US, the guys get paid next to nothing and earn their wages through tips. Whether you agree with that or not is irrelevant, what a crassly ignorant thing to say to someone just doing their job.

The guy in question held his hand out without smiling/speaking..In other words he expected/demanded my money.....Where i come from its classed as begging.

What an ignorant observation from yourself.

come on, now. i've been to europe. there it is just added onto the bill. you are still paying the tip.

Where i come from its classed as begging.

You make my point exactly, you weren't where you come from, you were in another country with different customs and it is polite to try and respect these customs even when you don't always agree with them.

Maybe you should stay home, I don't think travel suits you.

You make my point exactly, you weren't where you come from, you were in another country with different customs and it is polite to try and respect these customs even when you don't always agree with them.

Difference between customs and people demanding my cash...Anyway i have my own custom..My hard earned stays in my pocket UNLESS i wish to give it away.

You dont know me..How on earth can you make any assumption whether travel suits me or not...I speak my mind and if that causes you offence TOUGH!!!

Difference between customs and people demanding my cash...Anyway i have my own custom..My hard earned stays in my pocket UNLESS i wish to give it away.

You dont know me..How on earth can you make any assumption whether travel suits me or not...I speak my mind and if that causes you offence TOUGH!!!

You don't offend me at all, I find it all quite amusing really.

Though I do wonder that since you cancelled your first and only cruise, why you are still here posting on a cruise forum.

Enjoy Italy anyway, it's a lovely country.

excellant point. i always wonder, if people want it to be just like home, why don't they stay home? :confused:

O.K. this is the story. On our last cruise (RCL September 2009) we did not go for the automatic tipping. We have the choice. Well guess what folks. The Head Waiters know all about this. They have the list of cabins and who is tipping automatically and who is not. They know ahead of time. Our service was excellent they were slow at times but that was not their fault. All and all I believe that if they know they are getting the auto-tip they may, and I say may have a tendency to give you just the habitual service.

I truly believe in tipping. But let us be fair here and "credit where credit is due" I have been on many cruises and I have, sometimes, given over the recommended amount because we had that extra service. Ice bucket always full of ice in our cabin. Not down to water. That has to be filled up more than just twice a day.

Julie

You don't offend me at all, I find it all quite amusing really.

Though I do wonder that since you cancelled your first and only cruise, why you are still here posting on a cruise forum.

Enjoy Italy anyway, it's a lovely country.

Thanks I will.

Reason why i am still posting on here is simply because good people like yourself are worth it.

Thanks I will.

Reason why i am still posting on here is simply because good people like yourself are worth it.

I'm touched.

Leaving for Heathrow in 2 hours, this time tomorrow we'll be in Dubai. Guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating!

• 1 year later...

If they are automatically charging each customer for tips each day, why does it talk about still tipping servers etc. like that is a have to?

From Costa Cruises "Bartenders, servers, deck stewards and other staff may be tipped as service is received."

Little story for you all to either enjoy or be disgusted !

Landed at Sharm airport and headed for the transfer coaches..Young Egyptian aged around 17 lifted our cases into the hold (this task took him around 15 seconds)he then demanded £4 ! , I flatly refused to give this guy anything at all,He then proceeded to remove our cases which i gladly put back on the coach !

NOW THE QUESTION is was i being mean or was i offended at the guys demands for my hard earnt ? Rest of the week i enjoyed giving pound coins to various hotel staff including £10 to the pool guy who ensured our towels were on our sunbeds.

Moral of this story...I enjoy giving cash WHEN i decide..Not when i am forced to hand it over.

Archived