ADVICE: Haven't cruised in 17 years

Me and my uncle are thinking about going on a 13-day cruise on the Radiance in May to Alaska. I'm 41 and my unc is 62, and I heard this type of cruise can be like a ghost town after 9p.m. While I'm not lookin to party hardy, it is a vacation, and I do like to have some fun. My unc has never cruised before and it has been 17 years since my last cruise on Carnival, and this seems like the perfect cruise for both of us to be able to do our thing, but I don't want to be bored for 13 nights if there is nothin goin on. I would really appreciate any advice anyone could give on this ship and/or itinerary.

An Alaskan Cruise isn't like a Caribbean...folks go for ALASKA and the sights, more than the ship/party/relaxation.....

I doubt you'll be bored on an Alaskan cruise, if you're going because you want to see Alaska!

It's true that most folks will expend their energy during the day, on land excursions, so the nightlife may not be as "hoppin'" as on a Caribbean trip!

Hmm. I've never been on one of the Alaska cruises, but I don't recall hearing of ANY Royal Caribbean cruises being "like a ghost town" after 9pm. I'm sure someone with more experience will answer, but if not, check some roll call threads for the Radiance Alaskan sailings to gauge what the cruises are like. Good luck!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I suggest joining & posting on your Roll Call; use this link and scroll down to find your sailing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=269

While chatting on-line with other cruisers, you may find some who are the "late night" "Party-hearty" types. Make arrangements to meet them somewhere the first evening!

Also, our only Alaska cruise was on HAL- and trust me- if any cruiseline is a ghost town after the evening show, it's HAL! However, assorted lounges were open until quite late, and although not crowded, you can still have a good time. And in Alaska in the summer, it's light outside until quite late, so you're more likely to have people out and about (on the outside decks) at night time than in the Caribbean.

We were up to the wee hours on our Alaska cruise. It was not a ghost town at all. Was it packed with people, no but there was alway people around and something going on. The Schooner bar was hopping every night.

Archived