Nifty & Thrifty Find's

This thread is great! I thought I was the only one who went to $ tree for these things. I also bought the Luau and other tropical decorations for our cabin door. These need to be cut down since they are much larger than any door I've seen on a ship.

Happy hunting to all and keep the ideas coming!

• 4 months later...

I havn't visited this thread in quite a while but wanted to share 2 really neat sites that I found. One is for decorating on a budget from items found at the Dollar Stores. Good decorating doesn't always have to be expensive. I love to redecorate my rooms according to the seasons and I got some really good and budget friendly tips from this site. The less I spend on decorating, the more I can save for my cruises. www dot dollarstorestyle dot com

The second site had some really great money saving ideas but my favorite is the link to the testing of all those crazy TV-Miracle gadgets. They look like a really good deal on TV but do they really work?

www dot walletpop dot com

Just wanted to share. Enjoy. :)

Edited by Hoosiercouple

If anyone is interested, I found a crossword book at the Dollar General Store that is shaped like a cruise ship and all of the puzzles are related to ships and all that they entail. The book was less than $2 and I found it in the coloring book/puzzle book/paperback asile of the store. This would be a really neat item to put in a cruise gift bag or just take along to enjoy on the balcony. This was such a nifty little item that I'm heading back to pick-up a few more before they're gone. :)

If anyone is interested, I found a crossword book at the Dollar General Store that is shaped like a cruise ship and all of the puzzles are related to ships and all that they entail. The book was less than $2 and I found it in the coloring book/puzzle book/paperback asile of the store. This would be a really neat item to put in a cruise gift bag or just take along to enjoy on the balcony. This was such a nifty little item that I'm heading back to pick-up a few more before they're gone. :)

Oh, how cool is that? I'll have to get to our DG asap! Thanks for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on a cruise to Alaska in August and needed waterproof pants - we already had a bunch of jackets. I have purchased 2 pairs for my husband - both expensive GoreTex brand that zip off at the knee and I got both of them for .99 each + shipping (5.35) I was so excited - they both look like brand new! I have also bought a beautiful silk Chico's jacket for formal night --$10!! I LOVE Ebay and I LOVE the Dollar Store too. We have purchased those rain ponchos also and they are great!

Dollar Tree and similar stores sell plastic hooded rain ponchos one or two per pack for $1 (obviously). These are GREAT for travel, outdoor concerts, any outdoor events. Much more convenient that hauling around a raincoat, umbrella, etc., and they can just be thrown away when you are done (no dealing with a drippy umbrella or damp coat). Lightweight and take up very littel space in the luggage. I'm throwing in several for our Canada cruise in June.

We used these once during a rainstorm at a theme park and people were constantly stopping to ask where they could buy one. We proudly told them we'd bought them at the dollar store and brought them along. And we noticed the gift shop was selling disposable ponchos for $15.

Ugg, my mom offered to buy me this just the other day and I declined saying I would take my umbrella, but now I am gonna have to make the special trip to get 4. Oh well, I love shopping and I have found uber things I need to pick up now anyway. Thanks for the info

This thread is great! I thought I was the only one who went to $ tree for these things. I also bought the Luau and other tropical decorations for our cabin door. These need to be cut down since they are much larger than any door I've seen on a ship.

Happy hunting to all and keep the ideas coming!

When I looked @ $ tree they didn't have this decor, I am thinking it would have to be closer to summer. I need to make a mad dash soon, this thread makes me wanna dollar shop!

• 2 weeks later...
I went on a 14 day cruise to the Mediteranean. Before I went, I purchased clothes at Goodwill for cheap prices. Washed and ironed the clothes and looked great. At the end of the cruise I left the clothes on board and was able to bring home the souvenirs I wanted without worrying about my lugage being too heavy.

I've done this many times for all sorts of summer vacations. I've also taken clothing that I might cast off, for one more wear, and left it behind. When socks or underthings are looking like they need to be replaced, I put them aside for a trip. Even tennis shoes! I leave a lot behind, but I have plenty of room to bring things home. ;)

Edited by jack1016

• 2 months later...

Was at a Dollar Tree in St.Pete, Fla and found the coolest little pool/beach bag. It was shaped like a little flower and so compact you could actually hold it in your hand. The flower unsnapped and unfolded into a pool bag that would fit a towel, sunscreen etc... It would also come in handy to take on port shopping visits. The best thing is that it will take up almost zero room in the suitcase...... and.... it was only a buck. !!!!!! This would make a great gift bag item for cruisers as well. I wish I would have taken a picture.

The compact bags were located in a box near the check-out lanes but they may be in a different section depending on the store and it's inventory.

Gotta luv a bargain !!!

Was at a Dollar Tree in St.Pete, Fla and found the coolest little pool/beach bag. It was shaped like a little flower and so compact you could actually hold it in your hand. The flower unsnapped and unfolded into a pool bag that would fit a towel, sunscreen etc... It would also come in handy to take on port shopping visits. The best thing is that it will take up almost zero room in the suitcase...... and.... it was only a buck. !!!!!! This would make a great gift bag item for cruisers as well. I wish I would have taken a picture.

The compact bags were located in a box near the check-out lanes but they may be in a different section depending on the store and it's inventory.

Gotta luv a bargain !!!

Here is a similar bag that I bought recently from Avon for $5. Some of the proceeds go to Breast Cancer Awareness. It folds up nice and small as well.

http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.aspx?newdept=&s=frooglesearch&c=google&otc=BreastCancerCrusadeLipsforLifeNoveltyTote&bnd=&pf_id=40148&level1_id=300&level2_id=380&pdept_id=382&ym_mid=&ym_rid=

Just thought I would share these nifty little items. I hate to take up valuable suitcase space so this was a great little find.

Edited by Hoosiercouple

The rain Ponchos for sure... cheaper and you dont have to wait in line at customer relations when it rain in port like last year in Cartagena.

Great post! My family and I are going on the Carnival Elation this September. I have found many great things to take on our cruise from Dollar Tree. The ponchos are going to be my "ward off bad weather" tokens. I was there earlier today and saw a big selection of "Luau" items for anyone who is interested in decorating their cabin. Also, they have pill organizers for only $1.00. I'm going to take all of my over the counter meds like Aleve, Allergy, and Tums in one of these. Dollar Tree is great for alot of things. Happy Sailing!

Walmart today has travel size packets of "TIDE" laundry soap, designed to be used in the sink. 3 packets for $1.00. Packed today and plan on washing a few light tee-shirts to wear more than once.

• 3 weeks later...
Dollar Tree and similar stores sell plastic hooded rain ponchos one or two per pack for $1 (obviously). These are GREAT for travel, outdoor concerts, any outdoor events. Much more convenient that hauling around a raincoat, umbrella, etc., and they can just be thrown away when you are done (no dealing with a drippy umbrella or damp coat). Lightweight and take up very littel space in the luggage. I'm throwing in several for our Canada cruise in June.

We used these once during a rainstorm at a theme park and people were constantly stopping to ask where they could buy one. We proudly told them we'd bought them at the dollar store and brought them along. And we noticed the gift shop was selling disposable ponchos for $15.

We too are going to New England trip but June 16...what about you....

The Dollar Store near my office has Space Bags for $1.

I found some of those space bags right after my last cruise, and plan to use them on my upcoming cruise. Hope they work okay, but don't see why they wouldn't.

I also keep one of the Dollar Tree umbrellas, about 6" long, in my suitcase front zippered compartment. Have never had to use it, but like that it's there for an emergency. Might at least keep my head dry! I also keep the DT rain ponchos in my suitcase. Just leave them there; never had to use one! So, I agree they are a good luck charm against rain on your vacation!

Hey guys great post I hope its not too late for me to find the CDs. So my fav finds for cruises would def have to be the mesh laundry bags at Dollar Tree. I tend to buy alot of the things I see on this site but honestly never use them, But I get one bag for my hubby and one for me. We keep em in the closet and I love love love it. Also love the use the bungee cord from Dollar Tree to hold the balcony door open at night.

I wanted to share a nifty little item that I came across yesterday at Walmart. It is the new Mia Drink mixes. It is a small bottle of liquid flavoring that you squirt into your water bottle. It is so small that it fits into the palm of your hand so paking this for a cruise will be really easy.

I found it in the Crystal Lite section and it sold for $3.50. They had several flavors including a few fruit teas, lemonaide, fruit punch, berry and a couple of others. Here is a link if you are not familiar with Mia

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2011-02-22-watertweaks22_ST_N.htm

Here is a link to receive a free sample. http://onefrugalchick.com/2011/03/22/free-mio-drink-mix-sample-new-product/

Edited by Hoosiercouple

Hello fellow crusiers, My name is Cari, I am 47 yrs young, and live in the state of Indiana. My BF Rick (51 yrs young) and I are going on our very first cruise in Oct. on the CCL Legend. We booked this past January and have been OCD about getting into the crusing state of mind ever since. We love to bargain hunt, go to flea markets, yard sales, you name it we're there. We have come across some great finds.

I am also well known with my friends for the Find-of -the-week. They say, " So Cari, what's the must have find this week? " This got me to thinking that we should have a thread here on CC to help share in the excitment of finding that really great bargain item that some others may want or need to get " cruise-ready". So that is what I want to share with the rest of my cruise buddies out there. Feel free to join in the money saving fun too....

Todays finds are 2 CD's $1.00 each from the Dollar-Tree. They each have a themed set of songs that are sure to put you in the mood-to-cruise.

The first title is : SPICY party music, all themed towards Caribbean songs. some titles on the CD are; Hot Hot Hot, Caribbean Queen, Montego Bay, I like it like that, Mexican Hot Dance, Calypso Concho, Havana Days, La Bamba, Smooth, Macarena, and others sure to make you NOT sit still. The second CD is title is Tiki-Tiki party, lots of Hawaiian, luau type music. All I need now is a fruity drink with a paper umbrella. :D I found both of these CD's in the Auto parts section of Dollar-Tree. (of all asiles for it to be in, really! Go Figure) I have played both CD's and they are in perfect listening order. No seconds or scratches.

Does anyone else have any nifty & thrifty finds that are related to cruising that you may want to share?

Until next time........ Have a nifty day. Cari & Rick

Love the CD idea to get into cruising mood!

Hello...I totally want to be subscribed to your link....so if you do emails on weekly stuff...or what is the deal of the week...please email me Lbullard@hotmail.com even on regular things too.

I think this time I am trying to find out if folks don't want their coupon books that they receive on board...we are going on a Royal Cruise and they give coupon books....I would love to get my hands on some extra or different ones. I also like the idea of Target and getting the liquid detergent to wash out underware and such in the sink I find that the powder does not work as well....happy savings. Lynn

I wanted to share a nifty little item that I came across yesterday at Walmart. It is the new Mia Drink mixes. It is a small bottle of liquid flavoring that you squirt into your water bottle. It is so small that it fits into the palm of your hand so paking this for a cruise will be really easy.

I found it in the Crystal Lite section and it sold for $3.50. They had several flavors including a few fruit teas, lemonaide, fruit punch, berry and a couple of others. Here is a link if you are not familiar with Mia

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2011-02-22-watertweaks22_ST_N.htm

Here is a link to receive a free sample. http://onefrugalchick.com/2011/03/22/free-mio-drink-mix-sample-new-product/

How do they taste....I don't like the taste of the diet drinks and such does it have that after taste to it??

• 2 weeks later...
I went on a 14 day cruise to the Mediteranean. Before I went, I purchased clothes at Goodwill for cheap prices. Washed and ironed the clothes and looked great. At the end of the cruise I left the clothes on board and was able to bring home the souvenirs I wanted without worrying about my lugage being too heavy.

I bought a shirt at Goodwill before my last cruise. Funny thing is how many people said what a nice shirt it was. Ha! Best $6.00 I ever spent :D

Walmart today has travel size packets of "TIDE" laundry soap, designed to be used in the sink. 3 packets for $1.00. Packed today and plan on washing a few light tee-shirts to wear more than once.

I used one of those on our last cruise and they worked well. The sinks are so small that I only used part of the pack at a time.

I had to buy some liquid soap for delicates last year when DH bought a couple shirts that were hand wash only, so for this upcoming cruise I've poured some of it into a small travel bottle to take.

Hello...I totally want to be subscribed to your link....so if you do emails on weekly stuff...or what is the deal of the week...please email me Lbullard@hotmail.com even on regular things too.

I think this time I am trying to find out if folks don't want their coupon books that they receive on board...we are going on a Royal Cruise and they give coupon books....I would love to get my hands on some extra or different ones. I also like the idea of Target and getting the liquid detergent to wash out underware and such in the sink I find that the powder does not work as well....happy savings. Lynn

Just use the mystery soap in the shower dispenser. Nothing to pack, nothing to purchase.