Nifty & Thrifty Find's

I was at Walmart today and found a cute Nautical tote bag for only

.88 cents. Yup, less than a buck. I got a navy blue nautical print but

they also had a white one with a beach flip-flop and a blue one with a little crab..

There were a few other prints and colors as well.

It was nothing fancy, just a canvas tote that I plan on using for a pool bag on the ship.

I found it in the section with the handbags and tote bags.

Here is a pic of the one with the beach shoe. Could not find a pic of the nautical print.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/OPP-Junior-Canvas-Tote/20461396

Here is a pic of the blue one with the crab.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/OPP-Junior-Canvas-Tote/20461397

Happy bargain hunting.

:)

Ohhhhhh....i'm going to walmart!!!! I love bags!!! Thanks Hoosier!!!

I was at Walmart today and found a cute Nautical tote bag for only

.88 cents. Yup, less than a buck. I got a navy blue nautical print but

they also had a white one with a beach flip-flop and a blue one with a little crab..

There were a few other prints and colors as well.

It was nothing fancy, just a canvas tote that I plan on using for a pool bag on the ship.

I found it in the section with the handbags and tote bags.

Here is a pic of the one with the beach shoe. Could not find a pic of the nautical print.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/OPP-Junior-Canvas-Tote/20461396

Here is a pic of the blue one with the crab.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/OPP-Junior-Canvas-Tote/20461397

Happy bargain hunting.

Note to self: check out Wallyworld first thing in the morning!:D

Our big find if the week.. We happened to check our visa rewards points and found we could book excursions in almost every port of call for our 12 night cruise for FREE! This saved us at least $1200 big ones! Check it out if you have visa score rewards!

Hello fellow crusiers, My name is Cari, I am 47 yrs young, and live in the state of Indiana. My BF Rick (51 yrs young) and I are going on our very first cruise in Oct. on the CCL Legend. We booked this past January and have been OCD about getting into the crusing state of mind ever since. We love to bargain hunt, go to flea markets, yard sales, you name it we're there. We have come across some great finds.

I am also well known with my friends for the Find-of -the-week. They say, " So Cari, what's the must have find this week? " This got me to thinking that we should have a thread here on CC to help share in the excitment of finding that really great bargain item that some others may want or need to get " cruise-ready". So that is what I want to share with the rest of my cruise buddies out there. Feel free to join in the money saving fun too....

Todays finds are 2 CD's $1.00 each from the Dollar-Tree. They each have a themed set of songs that are sure to put you in the mood-to-cruise.

The first title is : SPICY party music, all themed towards Caribbean songs. some titles on the CD are; Hot Hot Hot, Caribbean Queen, Montego Bay, I like it like that, Mexican Hot Dance, Calypso Concho, Havana Days, La Bamba, Smooth, Macarena, and others sure to make you NOT sit still. The second CD is title is Tiki-Tiki party, lots of Hawaiian, luau type music. All I need now is a fruity drink with a paper umbrella. :D I found both of these CD's in the Auto parts section of Dollar-Tree. (of all asiles for it to be in, really! Go Figure) I have played both CD's and they are in perfect listening order. No seconds or scratches.

Does anyone else have any nifty & thrifty finds that are related to cruising that you may want to share?

Until next time........ Have a nifty day. Cari & Rick

==

Yes I have tips for you! Pack zip lock bags in several sizes. Take snacks from Dollar Tree (nuts, cracker Jack, peanut butter crackers, pretzels, etc.) and pair these with a sandwich from the ship, for lunch in port. You will be glad you did. It saves $ and time in port not stopping to eat lunch out.

Another tip: Bring a wide mouth water bottle. Fill each day with ice to capacity, fill cracks with water. Bring to Port so you have cool water all day long. Prices for water in port will blow your mind! It's great for iced tea on the ship too.

Dollar Tree also has small fabric bags which can match an outfit and pack easy w/o weight. When packing your luggage, use these to separate underwear or other smaller items. Dollar Tree also has disposable rain ponchos 2 per pack. Bring 2 sets and always carry a set in your day bag/back pack.

Pack celophane tape: make a sign for your door/mirror reminding yourself to CHARGE your cameras. If you fail to do this you'll upset w/yourself. I even keep a list of what goes into the backpack daily.

Use address labels to label EVERYTHING from electronics to inside all luggage, backpacks and even water bottles. I lost a great water bottle on a ship once and would love it back.

Make a packing list document and keep in your computer for future use. You will add/delete/edit each trip, but you'll be glad to have a starting point.

Reminder: on-line USPS to turn off mail while gone. Also newspapers.

Pack the following items in your day bag/back pack for air and ship embarkation: all meds of any kind, a tooth brush and small toothpaste, cameras, Kindle, phones and any electronics. Copies of all itineraries and extra copies of passports. Copy of list of phone numbers in case your cell dies. A snack in case of travel delays. Take your list of packing WITH you in case of a bag loss; it proves what you had.

Buy trip cancellation/interruption/illness insurance. Peace of mind!

Hope these ideas are helpful!

Big Lots has water shoes on special this week for only $5 per pair. They are the cheapies but would do the job if you just need a cheap pair for a particular excursion or to use for walking on some of the rockier beaches.

:):)

• 2 weeks later...

awseome ideas...I love going to Dollar Tree every weeek or so to see what I come up with - I have about 8 pairs of the dollar (disposable) reading glasses so I never am without! I'm going to go stock up on sunglasses and reading sunglasses too!

awseome ideas...I love going to Dollar Tree every weeek or so to see what I come up with - I have about 8 pairs of the dollar (disposable) reading glasses so I never am without! I'm going to go stock up on sunglasses and reading sunglasses too!

We stock up on reading glasses and sunglasses too. It's the smartest way to get them and not worry about breaking or losing them.

The items I purchased at Dollar Tree that I used the most are the following:

an 8 1/2 x 12 collapsible drawer, I kept this on the top of our desk and kept all my paper work and misc items in it. It kept everything tidy that way.

suction cups: stuck on the outside of the shower to hang items to dry that we washed out.

It is easy to get carried away with taking things and I used a packing list that I found on cc. These are the items I took that I didn't need:

address labels, binoculars, extension cord or power strip, umbrella(cabin had one in it), insulated mugs, ziploc bags, travel neck pillow(plane provided one).

Items I'm glad I brought. Sewing kit for hem that raveled out. First aid items for diarrhea and sinus. I stocked up on items at the 88 cent shelf at Wal-mart. I took everything out of the boxes and slipped them into a small zippered bag that didn't take much room. Several items came in handy.

Pop up hamper. Kept dirty clothes all together. Collapsible drawer on desk to keep paper work together and small items stashed away.

Plastic suction hooks to dry washed out items.

It is easy to get carried away with taking things and I used a packing list that I found on cc. These are the items I took that I didn't need:

address labels, binoculars, extension cord or power strip, umbrella(cabin had one in it), insulated mugs, ziploc bags, travel neck pillow(plane provided one).

It is easy to get carried away, but binoculars, a power strip and ziplock bags are things that I always use on cruises!

Those giant two and three gallon zip locks just make my toes curl I love 'em so much! And we ALWAYS use the power strip; gotta have it. And post-it notes. I always get cheap water shoes that we just throw away before we leave the ship! Don't try and throw them away BEFORE debarkation! A good room steward will keep pulling them out of the trash for you ... thinking you didn't mean to throw them out! I like to NEVER got rid of a new body lotion that I thought stunk! It was too funny.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Dollar Tree today and picked up a few things (all for $1 each of course) for the upcoming cruise: Sudoku books (also had Word Search if you like those); Cloth insoles for ladies dress shoes and silicone Ball-of-foot cushions to make my cruise shoes more comfortable (they also had men's heel cushions and heel grips); those great plastic ponchos (2 to a pack); 3 pack travel bottles (one with spray top); travel manicure and pedicure sets; sharpie pens; book light; travel toothbriush.

Just a few more days now!:)

I was in Dollar Tree today and picked up a few things (all for $1 each of course) for the upcoming cruise: Sudoku books (also had Word Search if you like those); Cloth insoles for ladies dress shoes and silicone Ball-of-foot cushions to make my cruise shoes more comfortable (they also had men's heel cushions and heel grips); those great plastic ponchos (2 to a pack); 3 pack travel bottles (one with spray top); travel manicure and pedicure sets; sharpie pens; book light; travel toothbriush.

Just a few more days now!:)

I love those $1 puzzle books. I keep one in my carry on bag for the flight.

Love all of these ideals.... I have been going to the $ tree for yrs. and DG and I am a big bargin hunter... Never pay full price for anything if I can help it.. Love Belks 60 and 80% off racks that is the only one I shop from. I go to good will and no I don't run all over town to do it only when I am in the area... I get alot of my household things from $ tree...

• 3 weeks later...
Love all of these ideals.... I have been going to the $ tree for yrs. and DG and I am a big bargin hunter... Never pay full price for anything if I can help it.. Love Belks 60 and 80% off racks that is the only one I shop from. I go to good will and no I don't run all over town to do it only when I am in the area... I get alot of my household things from $ tree...

A true Southern Lady...BELK SHOPPER..oh, how I love Belk. I hardly ever go to Sears or J.C. Penny anymore. Last week I bought tooooo much from the 50 percent off with additional 50% off. :D Now a $50.00 blouse for $12.50 is my kind of a deal. I am a woman of size and love the Ruby Road brand.:o

I also love Dollar Tree. We do not have a Goodwill, but when I am in Roanoke Virginia, (about 120 miles from where I live), I always check out the ones there (4). Got some great buys on name brand shoes....and yes, I love to go to yard sales. Bought two pair name brand (almost new shoes) last week for $2.00 a pair. Two nice purses too!;)

Start watching the sales for the College back-to-school dorm items. Some of these things come in really handy for cruise cabins. Lots of nifty little organizing things that fit into small spaces.

A few I just saw in our sales page were the smaller sized over the door hangers and 3 small plastic basket organizers with lids. We used these last cruise to keep our smaller items in like, hair accessories, chap sticks,

stuff like that that normally clutters-up the vanity area. Each of us had our own little basket so it kept things handy. I love the college dorm asiles at Target and Walmart, they have some really cool finds.

Happy bargain hunting.

I don’t understand why everyone likes pop-up laundry bags. You can use a mesh laundry bag like this (http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do-LBG-01161-Mesh-Laundry-Blue/dp/B001F51AO4/ref=sr_1_2?s=storageorganization&ie=UTF8&qid=1341068397&sr=1-2) and get it at the dollar store too. Packs a lot smaller than a pop-up bag and it’s $1. Mine folds down to about 3”x 5”.

If anyone likes to use packing cubes instead of Ziploc type bags, my suggestion is to save the zippered bags that curtains and sheet sets come in.

I don’t understand why everyone likes pop-up laundry bags. You can use a mesh laundry bag like this (http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do-LBG-01161-Mesh-Laundry-Blue/dp/B001F51AO4/ref=sr_1_2?s=storageorganization&ie=UTF8&qid=1341068397&sr=1-2) and get it at the dollar store too. Packs a lot smaller than a pop-up bag and it’s $1. Mine folds down to about 3”x 5”.

If anyone likes to use packing cubes instead of Ziploc type bags, my suggestion is to save the zippered bags that curtains and sheet sets come in.

We just bring a draw string garbage bag and put all of our dirty laundry in that. (It's just the 2 of us). We put the bag in our small rolling suitcase that we used to bring on our pop and water onto the ship. The suitcase stays under the bed. When we debark, no problems, all the dirty laundry is in one place and since we wont be bringing any pop or water back with us, the small rolling suitcase has served a dual prupose. We also bring a few larger zippy bags for any swim suits that my be damp etc.....

The advantage of a pop up laundry bag is that it stands up and open in the corner of the stateroom,even when empty, or just a few items in it. Some prefer that, altho, yes, it takes up a bit more room when packing.

• 2 weeks later...

In the past I have purchased poncho's, brush/ comb compact type,and variety of small containers for you to put your own shampoo/ conditioner/ body wash,

lotion in.. It will save you lots so u can use the regular size from home to personalize it to your needs. Also have bought small bottle of bath spray, perfume 3 oz size, (snack Size)zip bags for cotton swabs, Also u can sometimes get travel tooth brush/ paste for great deal. Or maybe 2 travel toothbrushes or 2 tubes of toothpaste for $1.00.

cotton swabs. All of my shower items get put in zip bag with double zip.

Pill container for all rx am/pm and use rubberband to keep closed then zip bag just to make sure it doesnt open. keep a list of all medications with doses in wallet in just in case.