Nifty & Thrifty Find's

Another great item is a dollar store toothbrush holder. Instead of putting the toothbrushes on the shelf or a glass this comes in handy. Then I just leave it behind when the cruise is over :)

Great idea! I usually get the toothbrush covers but this year since we are all using new sonic care's that Santa brought us, I may just buy cheap toothbrushes and then toss them after the cruise. And I have seen some sold that include the toothbrush holder They had a set at Big Lots that had 6 toothbrushes (AIM brand) and the holder for $5! :)

Love this thread! Visited a couple of our area Dollar Tree's and they have none of the things I was looking for from this thread available yet!! Bummer!! Wanted to put a little gift bag together for everyone cruising with us in May! Fingers crossed they will start putting some things out soon! Keep the great ideas coming!

I just bought some makeup from Estee Lauder and received several vials of perfume as a free gift. It dawned on me these would be GREAT for our 20 day cruise this December! I will not have to take my large expensive bottle of perfume, but will still be able to put on perfume while on the cruise! I am going to go to the counter of one of my other favorites and see if they have any of these small vials for my trip! I am also saving the tiny bottles of my moisturizer so i can also leave the big bottle at home! Stop by your favorite makeup counter and get some small bottles for your cruise!

I just bought some makeup from Estee Lauder and received several vials of perfume as a free gift. It dawned on me these would be GREAT for our 20 day cruise this December! I will not have to take my large expensive bottle of perfume, but will still be able to put on perfume while on the cruise! I am going to go to the counter of one of my other favorites and see if they have any of these small vials for my trip! I am also saving the tiny bottles of my moisturizer so i can also leave the big bottle at home! Stop by your favorite makeup counter and get some small bottles for your cruise!

I plan on doing this too!I save all my mini's for vacations(wish my cruise was 20 days:p)

I went to the Dollar Tree today and got a lot! Our town has a new one and I have to admit to not ever going until today. Here's what I got: over the door shoe/shower caddy, mesh laundry bag (so I won't have to share with the hubby), battery candles, space saver suitcase bags, a travel lint roller, a James Blunt cd, and a few things for the house. Thanks for this thread!

I love the windsock idea for the balcony. The Dollar type stores should be putting these out soon along with the Spring items.

:):)

I planned to do this as well, love it. I mentioned it in another thread and got a comment that the cruise line (didn't say which one) would not allow it since it was a fire hazard. I'm still taking one with me, if they ask for it to come down, I'll take it down.

As for the Dollar Stores, keep checking back. I've noticed with the ones in my area, the stock changes pretty regularly. I usually make a casual trip through them once a month.

I'm so glad I found this thread and that it was brought back to life! I love the windsock idea for the balcony. and I read about the 88cent meds at wal-mart. I looked today & ours has it! I don't sail until 30 September but I'm collecting ideas for the trip! The planning is part of the trip!!

Before one of our cruises I did find an over door shoe holder at DT. It was great - I only had $1 invested & I have gotten more than my $1 out of it. Also, some of the DT have the hanging bag w/ zippers for toiletry items. I use one for my costume jewelry. You can see in to the plastic windows for what you want; and the zippers keep everything in where it belongs.

DT also has slim packs of cleaning wipes - in case you want to make sure items like your remote control, etc have been cleaned. (Good use in the hotel the night before sailing.) On our cruise to Alaska I packed window wipes so we were able to keep the balcony door wiped down & enjoy the view even if we weren't sitting outside. I'll get some more of those for the upcoming cruise.

Keep the tips coming! Thanks so much to all who are sharing!

I noticed several posts about buying items to take that you wouldn't mind leaving behind..do you just leave the stuff in the cabin for the staff to get rid of? or is there somewhere you dispose if it? Not sure I want to leave "extra" work for someone else to have to do.

I noticed several posts about buying items to take that you wouldn't mind leaving behind..do you just leave the stuff in the cabin for the staff to get rid of? or is there somewhere you dispose if it? Not sure I want to leave "extra" work for someone else to have to do.

I was recently on the Crown Princess from Jan 7 to Feb 4 2012 and purchased some last minute items in Fort Lauderdale. I left these plus loafers in the cabin.

The steward was informed of some of these.

Just put it in the trash pasket in your cabin

I was at JCPenney today and they have some super cute Liz Claiborne wristlets in a couple of different styles and fun colors in their "best deal" section - I got a royal blue one for $4, big enough to hold my camera or cell phone, Sail and Sign card, and some chapstick/lipstick plus a small zippered pocket to put a few singles in for tips.

I also got what is supposed to be a handbag organizer with all kinds of compartments to transfer things easily from one purse to another. I will use this to carry my travel stuff (I don't carry a full-size purse on planes) - it will fit in the outside zippered pocket of my suitcase until we get through security, and it has a handle for easy carrying. It will be nice to have the most critical items close at hand on the plane and still have room to wiggle my feet. I got hot pink, they had a few other colors too. Price was $6. Original LC tag price was $30.

I was at JCPenney today and they have some super cute Liz Claiborne wristlets in a couple of different styles and fun colors in their "best deal" section - I got a royal blue one for $4, big enough to hold my camera or cell phone, Sail and Sign card, and some chapstick/lipstick plus a small zippered pocket to put a few singles in for tips.

I also got what is supposed to be a handbag organizer with all kinds of compartments to transfer things easily from one purse to another. I will use this to carry my travel stuff (I don't carry a full-size purse on planes) - it will fit in the outside zippered pocket of my suitcase until we get through security, and it has a handle for easy carrying. It will be nice to have the most critical items close at hand on the plane and still have room to wiggle my feet. I got hot pink, they had a few other colors too. Price was $6. Original LC tag price was $30.

Thanks for the tip. I love Liz Clayborne. :) Sounds like you got one heck of a deal.

I thought this 2pk of pocket chairs was a nifty find: http://www.walmart.com/ip/As-Seen-on-TV-Pocket-Chair/16609875?findingMethod=rr

I'm planning on ordering them before our 1st cruise in July. They should come in handy while waiting to get on/off the ship as well as during excursions. Small enough to fit in your pocket or purse. :)

Edited by Gemynii

I was at the Dollar Tree this morning and saw some really neat collapsible water bottles. They kind of looked like Rum-runners. :eek:

They came in several different colors and patterns. They looked like

these but were only a buck.

https://www.momastore.org/museum/moma/ProductDisplay_Collapsible%20Water%20Bottle_10451_10001_106131_-1_26669_26669

They would be nifty for an excursion, easy to carry in a backpack.

Edited by Hoosiercouple

I thought this 2pk of pocket chairs was a nifty find: http://www.walmart.com/ip/As-Seen-on-TV-Pocket-Chair/16609875?findingMethod=rr

I'm planning on ordering them before our 1st cruise in July. They should come in handy while waiting to get on/off the ship as well as during excursions. Small enough to fit in your pocket or purse. :)

Not sure if you have a Five Below around you but they have those there for $5!!

I am hoping that someone out there can give some advice on small or large shelves to go i.e.

http://www.travelsmith.com/travel-accessories/packing-organizers/?

They look like a good thing to have but I'm a little leary.

You can get something similar at target for about $9. It hangs in the closet and is called a sweater stacker or something like that. It collapses down to practically nothing and is great for longer cruises. It looks like this and is in the same section where the over the door shoe holders are: http://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-6082-2661-Natural-Storage-Accessory/dp/B002OEUINE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329860869&sr=8-3 Oh, it has about 7-8 shelves, so much more useful than travelsmiths.

Edited by 5326jan

Not sure if you have a Five Below around you but they have those there for $5!!

The closest Five Below is in another state. :(

I did a search and see that Walgreens has them for $9.99 but it's only for one chair. Of course one would work if we alternated. Reviews are mixed on them, but I don't plan on sitting in them for hours at a time. :p

Just got this from Lands End. Some of the reviews were mixed but I think it will work great. Very sturdy so it'll hold up to whatever I manage to fit in the compartments. And at $4.99, I was thrilled! It will lay flat in my suitcase under my foldable hamper. :)

http://www.landsend.com/pp/camp-shower-caddy~224740_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=search-_-travel&origin=search

Just got this from Lands End. Some of the reviews were mixed but I think it will work great. Very sturdy so it'll hold up to whatever I manage to fit in the compartments. And at $4.99' date=' I was thrilled! It will lay flat in my suitcase under my foldable hamper. :)

http://www.landsend.com/pp/camp-shower-caddy~224740_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=search-_-travel&origin=search[/quote']

I just saw one of those at Dollar General yesterday... 6 pocket for $2.50